Top 10 college coaches in todays game

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by mcyork, Oct 14, 2009.

1. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Top 10 college coaches in todays game

This morning driving into work I was listening to the local sports radio show and they were talking about the top 10 coaches in the game today. They didn't have Mack Brown in their top 10? I find this hard to believe but we are talking about a Kentucky Radio show. They hate Kragethorpe and want him booted. They want to hire someone new so that is why they brought this subject up. This is how I rank them again this is right now who would I like coaching my team.
    10.Brian Kelly Cinn
    9.Chris Peterson Boise
    8.Rich Rodriguez UM
    7.Mack Brown UT
    6.Bob Stoops OK
    5.Jim Tressell O*U
    4.Les Miles LSU
    3.Nick Saben UA
    2.Urban Meyer UF What will he do without Timmay
    1.Pete Carroll USC

2. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Same thing he did in Utah and Bowling Green and Brantley is better than Alex Smith and Josh Harris mark my words

10. Jim Leavitt
    9. Chris Peterson
    8. Frank Beamer
    7. Jim Tressell
    6. Les Miles
    5. Bob Stoops
    4. Mack Brown
    3. Nick Saban
    2. Pete Carroll
    1. Urban Meyer

3. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Wow. Joe Pa is #1, Bowden is #2 and the rest don't matter.

NO ONE is better than those two.

4. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

It's all purely opinion but I find some faults with your choices.

Obviously I'm biased, but to say Urban isn't #1 is blasphemy haha. The guy flat out wins the games he's suppose to. Can't say that about Pete Carrol, every year he loses to a crappy pac 10 team.

What will Urban do without Timmy? The same things he did at Utah and Bowling Green, win games, develop top draft pick talent (see alex smith), and win championships.

It's tough to say Saban is better than Les Miles, IMO. Les has the BCS rings and Saban's stint in the NFL wasn't such a great move for this decade. (unless we're simply going by bank accounts)

I'd dare to say Jim Tressel could be higher because he too wins the games he should. But the bowl losses really sting!

And call me crazy, but I'd dare put Peterson, Kelly, and Ram Rod in front of Stoops and Mack Brown. These guys have really made waves in college football with inferior teams and budgets compared to OU and UT. Put any of those three guys at OU and UT and they probably got a couple more 'ships'.

Big game bob just can't win the big one and Mack Brown w/o Vince Young going crazy in the 4th and Reggie Bush's fumble, doesn't have a BCS ring this decade.

5. GoGators

You gotta read man. It stated solely in this decade. Not all time.

6. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Good thing he did:D. I made so much money off that game.

I heart all Texas haters.

7. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

mc what radio station was it?

8. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Actually it was based on if your were an AD who would you want as your football coach.
    Ksherm replacing a QB in the SEC is a hell of a lot harder than replacing one in the WAC. I know Brantley is a quality qb but is he a spread option QB. And if he is as good as Josh and Alex why not play him at LSU. If Timmay was just in there to manage why do that? I think Pete is a hell of a coach and his staffs have been high jacked as of late for bigger jobs. They are all good recruiters. Urban has had no control of his team and there off the field antics as of late how many arrests have they had in the last 3 years? Also Saben did win a MNC at LSU thats what got him the Miami job. Alabama will beat UF in the SEC championship game. They can stop the run and the QB will be a lot better by the end of the year.

9. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

101.7 wkrd drew deiner early birds out of shelbyville

10. KnightNoles

I dont know if you know much about them, but Kentucky sports talk isnt cream of the crop.. You in Kentucky or was this satellite radio?

11. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Urban Meyer is a great coach no doubt, but I don't believe he's ever went undefeated except at Utah. So He's kinda in the same boat as Pete Carrol really. The only difference in my opinion is that Urban is in a much better conference and has lost to better teams, not great teams, but better teams. Also, Urban went 9-4 in between National Championships in 07. I don't think Carrol has ever logged 4 losses in a season except year 1.

Meyers and Carrol both have 2 rings. Carrol is 91-16 at USC since taking over and if you don't count his first season is 85-10 with 7 Pac 10 titles, and 2 National Titles and 6 BCS bowl game wins...USC owns that conference.

That makes him #1 this decade in my book..although Urban is well on his way to having a better resume.

12. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

I live in shelbyville work in Louisville

13. KnightNoles

ohhh really... Im in Owensboro right now (college), reside in Nicholasville. 15 mins south of Lexington

14. GoGators

I can agree with your argument Castro. Except I'd note that Urban's 9-4 season came because we had lost a ton of talent from 06 and had I think 1 upperclassmen on defense that year.

Carrol is a great coach, but his team is always 2x more talented than anybody he plays so I think that's his downfall.

For mycane, Brantley didn't play vs LSU because Tebow was fine. They just played it conservatively because they didn't need to do anything else. If you don't think so, why did he get the QB dive on 3rd and 2 in the fourth quarter to seal the game?

Also, Brantley didn't get the nod because we're weak at WR this year. So it would have been somewhat playing to our weakness. Plus starting your first game of your career on the road at night in Death Valley isn't a great scenario.

Brantley will be sick and they'll mold the offense to his strengths. That's what makes Urban great. He won a NC with Chris Leak remember??? That guy hated running the ball.

I'm not going to get into the debate about who will win the SEC with a Miami fan since your biased is too much to overcome.

15. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

yeah Castor I thought you would tell us something about how great sweater vest is....thanks for sparing us. lol Ksherm I think he is a great coach and #2 is right now if he wins this year you can move him up to #1.

16. GoGators

Like I said, it's all opinionated so it's cool.

I know Saban won a NC, but leaving the game and Les Miles winning a ring too has to give Les Miles the nod. I would think.

Also, Peterson has to be in front of stoops, remember the bowl game??? haha

17. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

No WR's I thought Urban only recruited the top 1% of 1%.... JK man you guys are stacked on D losing Patchan really hurts you though on the O line. I just think with speed being about even with Bama it comes down to toughness and outside of Timmay I think Bama is tougher.

18. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

The Vest goes without saying bro....88-20 4 Big 10 Titles, 1 National Title and 3 Championship games. He's definitely in the top 5. Not only that, but we own Michigan.

He's definitely in the top 5. Thanks for bringing that up!

[​IMG]

19. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

I can't wait for our (U) trip to the shoe next year!!! Jacory is gonna light you fools up!!

20. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

It specifically says "in the game today" and last I checked they still are. ;)

21. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Tim was in the game because he's our quarterback. There's a chance he could get hurt in any game. If the docs said he was good to go then there should be no questions asked. Second, IF LSU would have mounted any kind of offense Tim would have been asked to do more. Urban is smart enough to ride his defense since it is the strength of the team.

Urban adapts his spread to the quarterback he has. Each quarterback has ran a different version of it and they were all successful, (Josh, Alex, Chris, and now Tim). SO Brantley will play in a system that fits his strengths, and they will have a QB to come in and run certain plays that they like for the QB to carry the ball.

22. GoGators

The depth at WR has nothing to do with not recruiting. The guys are there, they're just all injured. Debose is out for the year, Carl Moore is likely out for the year. Those are two 5 star guys. Deonte has hamstring issues. The other young guys haven't won over the coaches enough to get into the game yet. They will though. A lot of it has to do with need like Sid said. If we can win running the ball, why throw it? It's simple strategy. Do what you need to win without taking unnecessary risks. i.e. LSU, they couldn't stop our dive play when you knew it was coming.

Bama is really good this year. They could easily be ranked number 1 right now if not for the preseason polls. However, they're defense is the same to me as last year and offensively they're not as good.

They lost their O line and they aren't deep at RB like they were last year with Coffee and Ingram. Nothing against Richardson, but he's a froshie.

Also, look at the UK game. They put up 22 on bama. Didn't sniff the end zone against us. We've held LSU and UK to nothing on the road! In the SEC that's pretty good.

I don't know who wins the game, and right now I'd say they may be better than us. I'm still focused on one game at a time and getting to Atl first. Then we'll worry about who else is in the stadium.

What's crazy about us is that I don't think we've put it all together yet and have a lot of things we can improve upon. Statistically we've got a top D and a top ground game in the nation and we haven't even thrown the ball yet. So there's still a lot of untapped potential in Gainesville.

And lastly, I don't care if your team is bigger, stronger, and smarter (well they can't be faster let's be honest) than us, we've got Tebow. And I'm not going to bet against him.

23. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

Shit I wouldn't bet against him either when his remaining regular season schedule is 18-22 right now. Only winning team is USC.

24. GoGators

I was speaking more directly to the SEC Championship game not the remaining schedule.

25. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I'm writing that down.:)