Top 5 Offensive/Defensive ROY Candidates

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by Papa Perry, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

Offensive:

1) RG3 - 2nd QB taken and 2nd pick overall, but in my opinion goes into the best situation. He has veteran weapons to throw to in Santana Moss, Chris Cooley, and Fred Davis. Also doesn't hurt to have Roy Helu to dump off passes to. If the oline gives him time he'll gash the defense through the air or on the ground on his way to a great year. While he won't have a Cam Newton-type rookie campaign, it will still be very impressive.

RG3.jpg
    2) Trent Richardson - Richardson is one of the best prospects to enter the NFL in a long time. Few believe he will be a bust or injury prone but I say "negative." Trent is the type of running back that everyone wants. He has that NFL-level size, speed, and strength. No question he'll need the oline to open the holes but he'll be able to make a few himself. As much as the Browns are going to be leaning on him, I can't see him not contending for the ROY award.

Richardson.jpg

3) Andrew Luck - It's a new era in Indy, and the rebuiding project all starts with Andrew Luck. The kid has a solid veteran target at WR in Reggie Wayne and two young TEs to throw to in Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener, who he already has chemistry with since they played at Stanford together. That alone could be enough to help Luck on his way to an outstanding rookie year.

Luck.jpg

4) Kendall Wright - Wright is gonna be a guy that teams are gonna be worried about. Has good hands and is extremely dangerous after the catch. Could very well be the next Santana Moss. Very nice complement to start opposite of Kenny Britt or an excellent slot WR. Would have to have a record-setting year to win the ROY award but he'll have a great season whether it's Jake Locker or Matt Hasselbeck.

wright.jpg

5) Michael Floyd - Lot's of people expect Blackmon on this list but I say "nay." I think Blackmon is flip of the coin on his boom or bust potential. Floyd is gonna benefit greatly from the attention that Larry Fitzgerald will be getting. He's big, physical, and has the speed to be a threat. Only thing holding him back is that Larry Fitzgerald will still get more passes his way, but Floyd will get enough to be a contender and a playmaker. I expect at this time next season will be talking about how the Arizona Cardinal have the best WR duo in the NFL.

Floyd.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  2. Papa Perry

Defensive:

1. Morris Claiborne - This guy will help a secondary that was victimized by big plays last season. When QBs play against this defense, he'll have two decisions: force the pass or get demolished by Spencer or Ware. Obvious choice would be pick on the rookie...but it still wouldn't be a smart decision.

claiborne.jpg

2. Stephon Gilmore - This is a guy that when it comes to production, durability, and intangibles, he beats the guy right above him. His instincts and cover skills are sub-par for a 3 year starter but I think the kid can still fly by the seat of his pants and challenge Claiborne to be the top defensive rookie.

Gilmore.jpg

3. Luke Kuechly - This guy is the definition of the term "bad ass." While he will only be playing beside Beason and not in his spot, this guy will be a 2nd leader to what is going to become a very good defense. Very good tackler and while he may not jar many balls loose, he will challenge to lead the team in tackles, as well as well as possibly take home the defensive RotY award.

Kuechly.jpg

4. Mark Barron - The Buccaneers need a leader. I know they have Ronde Barber but he's close to hanging up the cleats and Aquib Talib is a damn headcase. In steps Barron. This guy was one of the many vocal leaders of 2 National Championship teams and his old head coach specializes in secondary players. Barron is a hard hitting safety that can help defend both the pass and the run. Very physical player although that has hurt him in the past as he's had ultiple injuries but none should have a lasting effect on his career.

Barron.jpg

5. Courtney Upshaw - This is a very dangerous man. Every tackle or hit he delivers is delivered behind his 270lbs frame and he brings the force. While he won't be a sack machine, he will get to the QB and make him regret holding the ball for so long. Very good against the run and surprisingly agile to be so big. With the right coach, he could very well take it all.

Upshaw.jpg

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  3. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Great stuff Papa..eager to see the defense man.

Hope my boy Claiborne is on that list

4. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!

5. SteamboatReb

SteamboatReb Walk On

There aren't enough footballs in 'Zona for you to feed your boy Fitz and make this kid the ROPOTY. I will say this, if Floyd wins it, then Kolb is an all-pro. lol. Give 'em hell diddy!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. cadepetty247

cadepetty247 Walk On

I can see both Floyd and Richardson being HK's season 1 ROY that's if I'm right about who will be controlling them

7. Papa Perry

Yea, I probably should've waited until we found out who was who but I may revisit this later on. I'll have the defensive guys up tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteamboatReb

SteamboatReb Walk On

Yeah, I was working off of an assumption as to user, but i think my overall point is valid regardless of user. Fitz + Kolb + any semblance of a running game and there might not be enough balls for Floyd, or any other WR for that matter, to get ROTY. Whoever has TR will likely run his dick into the dirt. lol.

9. Papa Perry

I almost asked for someone else to do the defense because of all of the Alabama defenders that went lol. But I can be unbiased.

10. SteamboatReb

SteamboatReb Walk On

Regardless of your loyalties, Barron and Hightower, and may be Upshaw, belong on any such credible list. I watched those guys play too many games over the last few years to think any different.

11. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    If I end up with the Jags, then Blackmon will be a contender. My #1 WR was in the Top 4 for receiving yards in every year of HK '12 and he would be my #1. And I won't have to worry about having anyone else to throw to, lol.

12. Papa Perry

Top 5 Defensive rookies are up

• Like Like x 3