Top Five 2012 Preseason Worries

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by OsirisMonster, Dec 1, 2010.

1. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

This article looks at the top five worries facing Sim Nation teams going into the 2012 article.

#1 LSU Quarterback Situation.
    After winning a National Championship last season, LSU graduated both QBs to see any playtime during the year. After losing out on two 5 star QBs from last year and a 4 star QB from the year before that, LSU looks thin at the QB position. Coach OM has stated that redshirt Sophomore QB Barrett Bailey will start the season when LSU travels to Happy Valley to face #2 Penn State. Will he hold up or will he cost LSU a return to the SEC and National Title games?
    QB Barrett Bailey. 78 OVR. 88 THP. 86 THA. 70 SPD. 74 ACC.

#2 Iowa Front Six.
    Last year Iowa won the Big Ten for the second straight year and won their 6th star of prestige. This year they will find a difficult road defending that star. Offensively Iowa is solid but on defense they have holes. Most notably these holes are at the defensive end and line backer positions. At defensive end the Hawkeyes are projected to start true freshman AJ Fields and Junior Dominic Alvis while at linebacker they are projected to start Wallance Miller on the outside and Christian Kirksey on the inside. Can these players hold their own against the high powered offenses Iowa is set to face?
    DE AJ Fields. 75 OVR.
    DE Dominic Alvis. 77 OVR.
    MLB Christian Kirksey. 72 OVR.
    ROLB Wallace Miller. 73 OVR.

#3 Florida Special Teams.
    Special Teams wins games. Just ask Boise State the value of a consistent kicker that can punch it in when the game is on the line. Will Florida face a similar situation as Boise State? A missed field goal can be the difference between a possible National Title shot and looking at another team win your conference. Florida has one kicker and one punter on their team. Neither is very good. Will their lacking of a kicker/punter cost them a return to the SEC title game?
    K Derek Little. 54 OVR. 66 KPW. 43 KAC.
    P John Collier. 64 OVR. 69 KPW. 60 KAC.

#4 Clemson Secondary
    Clemson shocked the nation after they nearly made the National Title game, coming just one game shy of a National Title berth and ACC Title berth with a sole loss to Florida State. The major hurdle in their way to BCS dominance could be a weak secondary waiting to get blown up by a pass happy offense able to exploit the lack of Clemson secondary depth. Sure Rashard Hall is a monster and safeties Desmon Brown, Carlton Lewis, and Jason Miller give Clemson an above average base 4-2-5 backfield but it is when Clemson is forced into Nickel and Dime sets that they could be in trouble. Behind Rashard Hall are a string of less than stellar CBs that will find trouble stopping those 4 and 5 WR sets. Martin Jenkins is above average, Bashaud Breeland average, and everyone else a liability for the Tigers.
    CB Rashard Hall. 89 OVR.
    CB Martin Jenkins. 81 OVR.
    CB Bashaud Breeland. 77 OVR.
    CB Jarad Evans. 73 OVR.
    SS Carlton Lewis. 84 OVR.
    SS Jason Miller. 82 OVR.
    FS Desmon Brown. 84 OVR.

#5 Florida State Offense
    Florida State relied on their passing game to propel them into the ACC title game and win an ACC title. That passing attack suffered a major blow when JR QB EJ Manuel opted for the pros instead of staying for his senior year. Also lost to the Seminoles was junior HB Chris Thompson. Starting HB Conrad Williams is talented but behind him is little depth, a problem that will put much focus on the passing game headed by either Freshman Michael Thompson or Sophomore Clint Trickett. Both show promise but are young and could have used another season on the sidelines before being ready to defend the ACC title. Combine this with of a lack of depth on the offensive line and at tight end and those star Florida State receivers could be wondering if they should have bolted early for the draft too.
    QB Michael Thompson. 80 OVR.
    QB Clint Trickett. 79 OVR.
    HB Conrad Williams. 85 OVR.
    HB Austin Greene. 79 OVR.
    TE Will Tye. 80 OVR.
    TE Anthony Kendrick. 78 OVR.

2. Urine_Trouble_

Urine_Trouble_ Walk On

We will be a little more aggressive in our (fg) kicking game. I promise you that, I sucked at kicking with a solid Kicker now giving me a scrub... paaaaah!

3. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

I have three kickers on roster with over 96 KPW....... :oops:

4. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

OM, this is perhaps your best stuff yet. As far as Clemson is concerned, my top 3 CB (Hall/Jenkins/Breeland) may be the only ones on this season's active roster. It's going to be a red-shit extravaganza! I'm planning on using FS Desmond Brown at CB in some nickle/dime packages, with true freshman Jamaal Roberson maning the FS spot.

5. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

Yeah figured you would. I didn't look at their coverage skills. How do their MCV and ZCV skills rate?

6. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Not exceptionally well. 80/80. I'm hoping that will do against most team's 3rd/4th WR. Breeland's 85/85, but as a former safety, his AWAR rating is his fatal flaw. SS Jonathon Meeks (you missed him) is also an option at 84/81. He'll be starting alongside SS Lewis in the 4-2-5.

Despite losing (star DE) Bowers, I'm expecting to generate a lot more pressure with my front 4. If that happens, it'll go a long way towards helping my secondary get the job done on passing downs.

7. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

Yeah pressure really helps. You were getting some really good pressure on me in our Missouri / Texas AM game.

8. OnIowa

OnIowa Zeroes to Heroes

Awesome thread! My D will make or break me this year

9. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

Your secondary looks pretty solid. I think it will be your ability to stop the run and pressure the QB that will determine the success of Iowa this year.

10. OnIowa

OnIowa Zeroes to Heroes

I desperately need to land a kicker/punter...any advice? haha

11. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

Get 1st on the list of all the A kpw kicker/linters in the game? Worked for me.

12. OnIowa

OnIowa Zeroes to Heroes

It's hard when no kickers or punters have interest in your school haha