Top Recruits of 2012 - Preseason

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Wick36, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Seth Alexander, 6'2" 220 lbs
    Corsicana, TX
    #1 Overall
    #1 Athlete
    Top Schools: Oklahoma, USC, Florida State, LSU

Seth Alexander enters his senior season ranked as the top recruit in the country, though it is still anyone's guess as to what position he will play at the next level. He has the size to play a number of positions. His speed is not elite, but it is plenty to get by. He projects best as a dual threat QB or defensive back. He can stick to a receiver as well as anyone else in the country on the defensive side of the ball. His playmaking ability is apparent every time he touches the ball. He is great at squirming his way out of tackles and breaking off big runs and returns because of that. Alexander has one of the strongest arms of any QBs in this class, but scouts wonder if he would be better off playing elsewhere with his lesser accuracy.

-

Jeremy Rice, 6'0" 225 lbs
    Margate, FL
    #2 Overall
    #1 MLB
    Florida, Alabama, LSU

"He's too small" has always been the knock on Jeremy Rice. At 6'0" 225 lbs, that is certainly a valid concern. Over the course of his career, however, he has shown that his size is certainly not a limiting factor for him. He moves extremely well. He has blue chip speed and gets up to his stop speed quickly. He struggles a little bit at changing direction, so sometimes you see him stumble against double moves from receivers or counter plays. However, he makes up for this by flying to the ball and bowling over anyone who gets in his way. He is very strong for a linebacker and does a stellar job at getting off of blocks if a lineman is able to get to him.

-

Rickey Tyree, 6'0" 171 lbs
    Portland, OR
    #3 Overall
    #1 WR
    Top Schools: USC, Oregon, Florida, Wisconsin

Tyree has a pretty balanced game and is a jack of all trades type of receiver. He has world class speed and has been clocked as running a 4.24 40 yard dash which is crazy fast. This, however, was hand timed at a team practice, so it may not be completely accurate. A lot of the time you see a guy this fast, he will struggle to run routes, or will have issues with hanging on to passes. Not this kid. He has good hands, rarely fumbles, and is great at seeing the hole. He runs his routes pretty well. The only real knock on him is his lack of ability to break tackles or dodge defenders - which is only an issue on the occasions where the other team can actually catch him.

-

Tyrone Robinson, 6'1" 187 lbs
    Gatesville, Texas
    #4 Overall
    #2 WR
    Top Schools: Oklahoma, Texas

Robinson is a player who relies on his speed, which he is certainly able to do. With a 4.34 40 time, and extremely fast acceleration, if the coverage isn't in the right position when he makes a cut, it will be a big gain. Robinson struggles a little bit with the fundamentals, though, so he may not be as game ready as some of the other players on this list. He runs pretty good routes and catches the easy balls, but he can't make the tough catches and seems to drop a lot of balls when he can hear footsteps. He pretty much crumples to the ground when he gets hit, some scouts think that he might be afraid to get hit. If he can get those issues squared away, he could become pretty much unstoppable on the football field.

-

Patrick Holland, 5'11" 182 lbs
    Harrisonburg, VA
    #5 Overall
    #2 Athlete
    Top Schools: Georgia, Penn State

Holland is the third player in the top 5 with a blistering 40 time (4.30). He has a great top speed, and gets there fast, though he's not strong at making cuts. He plays at a very small school, so he absolutely demolishes the competition with his athleticism. However, it's tough to see for sure how he will fit in at the next level. He's pretty good at catching the ball, but his route running skills are mediocre at best. He lacks elusiveness and isn't great at breaking tackles. He projects as a WR, but it is tough to tell if he will ever live up to his five star ranking.

-

Jacob Moore, 6'6" 270 lbs
    Milpitas, CA
    #6 Overall
    #1 TE
    Top Schools: USC, Florida

This big guy can really do it all. He has the size, strength, and blocking ability comparable to some top tier offensive tackles. He has the speed and quickness to make it to second and third level defenders, as well as get separation from linebackers. He does struggle a bit with catching the ball, but he is a decent runner and is good at getting off of the line when he's being jammed. Moore will be an immediate upgrade and big help to any team's run game and should be a threat in the red zone especially. As he progresses and rounds out his game, he will be a very scary player indeed.

-

Nick Cain, 6'3" 226 lbs
    National City, CA
    #7 Overall
    #3 Athlete
    Top Schools: USC, Oregon

Cain is an interesting player because most scouts list him as an athlete. He has good size, but is definitely lacking in the speed category. He has decent hands, but can't run routes. He has a good arm, which is comparable to most QBs in the 4 star range. He can't really do anything on the defensive side of the ball. He does do a good job at breaking tackles and has some good moves. He has the potential to be a good, pocket passing QB who can pick up a few extra yards break down, but I can't see him playing anywhere on the field other than maybe full back - which would be a waste of his talent.

-

B.J. Smith, 5'10" 189 lbs
    Faribault, MN
    #8 Overall
    #4 Athlete
    Top Schools: Alabama, USC, LSU

Smith has great speed and is very quick. He is another player who has been recorded as having a 4.24 40 yard dash time. Smith will likely be most successful in a free safety type of role. His biggest strength is his skill in zone coverage. He is great at reading the eyes of the opposing QB and breaks on the ball like lightning. He has some decent moves, and could play some receiver, but he has some trouble with drops at time.

-

Keith McNeal, 6'3" 204
    Seagoville, TX
    #9 Overall
    #5 Athlete
    Top Schools: Oklahoma, LSU, Texas, Alabama

McNeal has good size and projects to play receiver or quarterback. He has decent, but not elite speed. He runs routes pretty well and does a good enough job of holding onto the football. Once he has it in his hands, he does a good job of avoiding and breaking out of tackles - rarely is the first man to attempt a tackle successful. He has an elite juke move and is great at finding the hole. He has a solid arm, but has some accuracy issues.

-

Mike Dukes, 6'3" 257 lbs
    St. Marys, OH
    #10 Overall
    #1 DE
    Top Shools: Michigan, ND

This kid has had some poor advice growing up, and needs to reevaluate where he wants to go to college. We can only hope for his sake someone wise will step in and help him make a better decision. Dukes is an elite pass rusher. He has pretty good speed, but he gets off the ball very quickly which allows him to get on the outside shoulder of the tackle consistently. He does a good job at shedding blocks and has some good finesse types of moves. He's not great in the trenches, and needs to bulk up a bit to get get stronger to widen his array of moves to include a bullrush and to make himself more involved in the run. A good strength program may be all he needs for that.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Good stuff. Bet you wish you still had LSU lol Will be interesting to see if any of these guys give any of the Legacy teams any play

3. Wick36

Yeah, but for more reasons than being on the boards of some 5 stars in the first season, lol.

I can't really see any of these guys giving too much though to user teams unless the CPU decides not to go after any of them, lol.

Sparty might be able to make a play on that DE, but that's unlikely. I had too many guys who had me #1 to risk it on any of the California guys (actually, I may go after 1 of them, but he's not listed here).

4. Hova

I got one on my board for shits and giggles

5. Wick36

Which one of the guys that run sub 4.40 40s is it?

-

Also... fun fact... 4 of the top 5 guys are white... which I think is funny because it's 3 speedsters and a dual threat QB...

6. Hova

Wait nvm.. I don't have any of these but I do have a 5 Star on my board

7. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

I doubt my :3stars: Illinois team will even have any 4 star guys

8. Hova

same here. I have 2 four stars interested in me, and one has me number 1. I scouted him and he SUCKS

9. uncleho

uncleho Walk On

I haz 0 interested in lowly CU :(