Topic 9: Settings

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Keller, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Now now, I know I know... I'm jumping the gun on this.

BUT theres been a lull in excitement/discussion with NCAA dropping so I figure this might be a good way to get the juices going again.

Given what we know about Madden in the past, I think people have a pretty good idea of what they want to do with the settings so lets all discuss it here.

First and foremost - All Madden or All Pro?

This will be one of the few leagues where we won't have to worry about what the CPU plays like AT ALL. That is huge. That being the case, whats your argument for both?

I tend to side with All Pro for a lot of reasons - the main reason being I just feel like the game "seems" more fair.

Obviously now that we will have sliders, things can be tweaked quite a bit so I trust that Shaun and co will come up with a happy medium regardless.

Second - Gamespeed/Threshold
    I tend to prefer one notch below normal game speed - for whatever reason I feel like thats been the default anyway. Am I wrong? When I play default offline in the past, it just seems fast compared to online (and not just because of the lag).

The threshold I am less concerned about. Over the course of NCAA, I feel like there has always been a general consensus on what plays more realistic or at least a range of what plays more realistic. I tend to like to see the threshold come down a bit because I don't want to see 300lb dlineman able to string guys like Jamaal Charles all the way to the sideline, but thats just me. Again I'm sure that Shaun and co will find a nice happy medium here, but its worth mentioning.

Third - Penalties
    For the love of god I hope these are improved. I want to see some offensive and defensive pass interference called for fucks sake. There's only so much we can do here, so I don't know what else there is really to discuss. If history is any indication, these sliders won't mean diddly pooh anwyay.

Fourth - Sliders
    I only have one question - how much are we really going to work on these? I know Shaun will come up with something, but how much time will we spend on them? Will we take a long term approach and sort of take an aggregate look at statistics over the first season or two and them make adjustments? I know one of the things I always have done in the past is look at statistics like that and use cold hard facts to backup any sort of change - I would be heavily in favor of doing so again.

I know that with the group of guys we have here, there isn't going to be much bickering about sliders..... right guys....... right?
    ______________________________________________________________________________

Okay, separate topic but sort of related. Anyone know if there are any bullshit time savers like what NCAA does? Obviously we will outlaw them if so but it got me thinking.....

When the hell are we going to see the website? I hope everyone realizes how absolutely crucial the site will be to help manage the league. I really hope Shaun can pass commissioner around so the co-commissioners and such can help advance the league or do whatever. The execution of the website is critical.

2. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    You guys can knock yourself out discussing, but I'll be determining these things.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Keller

Andddd boom goes the dynamite.

4. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I enjoy the discussion and I'll take it in when making decisions, but this isn't a democracy.:)

5. Keller

Sounding like Randy Moss

6. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    It's how I live.

7. bawvu97

bawvu97 Let's Goooooo Mountaineers

Featured Threads:
    It's a benevolent dictatorship

8. niuhuskie224

niuhuskie224 Walk On

My thought on level of play, with sliders, I would like to see the computer be easier. Why? With this league being dependent on user vs. user games, I think not being able to make a game shouldn't result in the person who can play having to do so against an extremely tough computer. Not that missing a game should be a terrible penalty, but a slight one.

Just my two cents.

9. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

in a full out user league i like the settings to match online ranked play- that way you can practice and play others easily and benefit from it

i also tend to think all-madden helps weaker players play better than they really are [this could be good or bad depending on your view] -bad in my view

10. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

Yea, its a bit disconcerting that we haven't even seen a screenshot of the website yet. Have any of the gamechangers seen it?

11. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I haven't yet but I'm sure Ryno or Frisky has.

12. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Are the sliders like NCAA where they don't actually do anything in user games? If that's the case we don't even need to worry about sliders.

13. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I've been told that the sliders in NCAA do something this year in user games.

14. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Good to know.

15. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Has anyone tested that and seen any results? I'm curious, because there are some aspects of NCAA Heisman gameplay that drive me freaking bonkers.

16. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I rely on Drifter for The Deuce.

17. Cheez

Cheez TSO's 1,000,000th Poster

Based on my limited experience from last year, the only input I can add is that I thought the games were incredibly short.... My recommendation would be to shorten the accelerated clock or to length the quarter lengths.

18. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Agreed. Need to get number of plays per game correct. Only a couple guys still in the franchise with questionable stat whoring from last year remain. And those guys know who they are.

19. Dru50

My concern there is how long the games take in real time - I for one don't have unlimited gaming time available and would have a serious issue if the games end up taking 90 minutes or more to play.

20. Cheez

last year my games were a little over 30 minutes..

21. Dru50

You have to remember that I haven't played madden in 5 years...assume anything I say is a completely uneducated view.

22. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    right there with you on Madden in recent years.

I like keeping the game to 45 minutes to an hour

• Like Like x 1
  23. Cheez

you made the same case in AM though too.... which is why we went to 7 minute quarters.

Either way, i shouldn't be having drives that take up a full quarter or more, which I did on a couple of occasions in my brief time here last season.

24. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Exactly cheez. If we get the number of plays right, should be 1 hour games

25. Dru50

Try passing the ball occasionally and you won't have that issue.;)

But seriously, I'll support whatever way Shaun wants to go, I was just being totally honest with what my schedule and situation will allow.