Tougher Sliders?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by ThePaw, Sep 17, 2010.

1. ThePaw

ThePaw I'm so seasonal it hurts, baby!

Tougher Sliders?

Do you guys think we need some tougher sliders? Lets be honest, Cal realistically shouldn't win the championship. NC State and Virginia should not be meeting up in the ACC Championship (even though the ACC is terrible this year). Louisville should not be going undefeated. Not trying to call anyone out at all, but do you guys think we should have some tougher sliders or something to try to make things realistic?

2. distrktFIVE

distrktFIVE Walk On

I agree and would like to see a more "realistic" outcome for our squads.

3. xXPHACTR

xXPHACTR Banned

I think it's been pretty realistic. I had to complete a pass on a long 4th down to keep my season alive. I had a slug fest with USC to beat them. I won the national championship by holding Ohio State on 4th and goal from going to OT. I think the sliders are perfect the way they are.

4. ThePaw

I see where you're coming from. Everyone has their own opinions that's why i'm trying to gather them here. The way I see it even though you had to come through big in those situations I don't believe realistically you should have been in them. I don't think anyone can truly see Cal holding their own against Ohio State this year much less in the BCS Championship. Just like with me, I probably shouldn't have been able to beat FSU in three overtimes with NC State this year. The talent gap is just huge.

But if you think the sliders are perfect i'm sure there will be more to agree with you. I just want to have to fight to be able to build my three star school up through the rankings. I want to get squashed every now and then by a better team (not by cimmy, I mean the computer :p). Anyways, just my two cents.

5. ThePaw

and i'm not trying to call you out xx, or anyone else. Trust me, i'm glad you won the NC and there's no doubt you deserved it after coming through in those huge situations/games.

6. capp34

capp34 Say Hello to the Bad Guy!

Its not necessarily the sliders but certain plays and routes and routes that are unstoppable by the CPU like drags,crosses are pretty much guaranteed. When I play my cpu games I use the same house rules that I use in my offline dynasty which is one drag/cross per half then I have to run a play from every formation in the playbook only using the same pass play twice on the same drive if necessary. By doing this it keeps my games super competitive and intense.

7. ThePaw

I like your house rules, but there would be no way to enforce that upon users. Like you I switch up my formations, but I don't limit myself to drags/posts etc. If the person is open i'm going to hit them. I don't think "Oh man, I already hit a crossing pattern up the middle this half I can't hit him." I do mix up my play calling though. I'll run draws, tosses, dives, and even some option plays. In the passing game I don't run money plays that I know will gain me a first down or whatnot.

8. xXPHACTR

xXPHACTR Banned

Sounds like sour grapes we wouldn't have this topic if you had won the NC.

9. ThePaw

Lmao, I promise you I would be even more adamant about changing them if I won the NC.

10. capp34

capp34 Say Hello to the Bad Guy!

Cal should have a L anyway if it wasn't for me getting screwed out of my victory earlier in the season.

11. ThePaw

I don't want to get into all that in this thread. This is just about the sliders. The reason I waited this long to say anything was because changing them mid-season would just be wrong.

12. xXPHACTR

xXPHACTR Banned

I could have lost 4 games but I didn't because I made plays. It's in extremely bad taste to make a thread telling me I shouldn't have won the NC a hour or two after the fact. I earned it and this is totally out of line and not cool.

13. ThePaw

Calm down, this thread was not made because you won the NC. Did you not see me talk about myself, Virginia, and Louisville as well? distrikt even admitted that he would like to see a more realistic approach and he went undefeated this year. This thread was not meant to attack ANYONE.

14. Dave

Dave Walk On

New guy here, but I think the sliders are tough enough. If anything running the ball was basically impossible against Auburn in the SEC championship. The main thing for me was punting the ball. I was only able to keep one punt in bounds.

15. Dannyboy0003

Dannyboy0003 Walk On

I agree with Paw in the fact that he clearly was not calling out anyone at all...he was merely stating that if what we strive to have in this league (and throughout this site) is true realism, it is hard to imagine that we would end this regular season (real life) with these teams being unbeaten. Having said that, congrats on the National Title! You def earned it. I can kinda see what he's saying though. I was Colorado and when I picked them up I think they were 3-5. I finished 3-1 to make a bowl and one of my wins was at Nebraska. It is very hard for me to believe that Colorado will go into Lincoln this year and beat Nebraska. I mean, we have all seen incredible things take place on the field on Saturdays like Boise St beating Oklahoma a few years ago. But again, that's why we still talk about it today...cause it was an exception, not the rule. I can see both sides of this argument because all my games have been extremely challenging...but they should be. I'm Colorado. Anyway, that's my two cents. And don't be offended by Paw, xXFACTR, I'm quite sure he was not in any way calling you out or cheapening your accomplishment. I think he was just bringing a topic to the table for us all to discuss that probably should be addressed.

16. ThePaw

Hit the nail on the head. Exactly what I was trying to say. Trust me xX, i'm not degrading your National Championship or anyone else's bowl wins (Louisville against Boise so far). That's why I made sure to congratulate you guys before I posted this. There's no doubt that you deserve it so please don't be offended by this topic.

17. slim

slim Walk On

i have to agree that they may be too easy. in my first game as Baylor I was able to beat Oklahoma. it was a fun game but i don't think that's very realistic. going in i was hoping to stay within 2-3 tds.

in my opinion both sides should have an easier time running the ball. i'm a new guy though...what do i know?

18. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Paw, I completely agree with you. I shouldn't have won the games I did so easily. In real life, Virginia wouldn't have done what I did...NC State wouldn't have gone undefeated...Cal wouldn't make it to the National Championship...it's just not realistic. Nothing against what any of you did however.

I am currently in a slider test league with some other commissioners and we are testing some out. We want a set that will keep this league challenging, but enjoyable. We're going to keep rolling and when we get it figured out, we will be set.

19. quietstrm

quietstrm Walk On

Well I see both your points Paw and X. Hell I finished 5-7 which is realistic (maybe below 2-7 in conference) but there are several factors that play into someone's performance....like I don't play as much as I used to. Plus on the real... I made some dumb mistakes in a lot of my games. I say make it more challenging if you guys are winning a lot and changing the realism... I am all about building a program. I will adjust eventually. I don't expect to win it all. I mean I want to but I am content with the challenge mostly. Love the idea of playing you guys even though I lost all my human vs human games. Just being realistic I ain't bad but I know I ain't the best :) In the end I lean towards Paw's view. X ya earned your National Championship but in the end I'm up for the challenge. This does not take away from your season. I would say hey our OCC schedule can be tough enough with playing you guys ....but our conference games or cpu games need to be a challenge 2. Once again I am not perfect or have not had a good season. This is just my first reaction to this idea of changing sliders....DO IT!!

What does everybody else think?

20. quietstrm

quietstrm Walk On

just realized there is a 2nd page just now haha....everyone is speaking

21. Dave

Dave Walk On

I have only played 2 games, but IMO the punting and kicking sliders need to be changed. The last game I played I could only get one punt to stay in bounds. This game I couldn't get a single punt to stay in bounds. I also missed a FG on the 5 yard line. I understand we shouldn't make every FG or have every punt be a good one, but IMO the punting and kicking sliders need to be adjusted.

I'm not sure if it is just the opponents I have played(Auburn, Michigan), but running the ball was basically impossible. My oline wouldn't block at all for running plays and the few times they did the cpu tackled me like a super LB or DL.

22. ThePaw

Kicking sliders? I don't know I haven't had any problems with. The running game was something that got screwed up with patch three like a month ago. I made a thread about it then and Cimmy changed them up a bit to get them better. I, like you, still don't believe they are in the right spot. They shouldn't be TOO easy, as in me getting 5 yards per carry but I shouldn't see my lineman just look at the D-Line and LB run and sometimes teleport by.