Trades - Things to keep in mind....

Discussion in 'The Baseline : NBA 2K14 Online Association' started by Dru50, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

OK guys, with the tip off set for tomorrow night, I thought it would be a good idea to chat briefly about trades. With the ability to play the CPU and also perform trades with the CPU teams also comes the ability to fleece the CPU for their players in lopsided trades.

With that in mind, and the fact that we haven't been able to test in any way the 'trade veto' logic that has been advertised in the game, in this league all trades must be approved by a committee of myself, Bondzai and Ryno prior to being proposed in the game.

Obviously trades must be realistic to be approved, and make sense for both teams. Trades that involve trading old vets on your team for a CPU team's young stars will likely never pass muster, since they wouldn't happen in real life. This means that if you are trying to pull a guy like Blake Griffin or John Wall (or someone like that) from a CPU team, you better be giving the CPU a legit superstar in return.

For example, makinpropel mentioned trading Chauncey Billups/Landry Fields from his Knicks team to the Wizards for John Wall/Javale McGee. I hope it was a joke, but for discussions sake obviously that trade would never happen as the Wizards are not trading their top star player and arguably their 2nd best player for a guy at the end of his career (Billups) and another guy who is a 2nd year player who barely played after the Carmelo deal.

Try and keep your trade offers realistic and keep this in mind - If a user was controlling the other team, would they kick you in the nuts for even attempting to offer the deal you are proposing?

RynoAid
    Bondzai007
    BDSDIGITAL
    Papa Perry
    makinpropel
    ryalaman
    Danthraxxx
    Mike E
    gowazzucougs
    recchem2000
    bucsfan047
    JFace907
    Gngsta4Lyphe

2. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Seeing as this is a full fledged association, will we acknowledge that Expiring Contracts are a hot commodity in the NBA trading relm? Especially for those in cap trouble.

3. Dru50

Yes, as long as it still makes sense in the big picture of both teams. To use the prior example, Washington isn't trading Wall, the face of their franchise, unless they are getting a similar young star in return. An expiring contract isn't enough to pull a guy like that from their team.

4. Dru50

In fact, if any of you have trades in mind that you plan on trying to swing when we start for real, post them in here and we can discuss them.

5. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Oh yeah i definitely agree with that

6. Bucs

Bucs GT: ThruTheSmoke47

Understood, and PF David Lee is available for anybody who is interested, looking for a SF and/or another PF or Center

7. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

I had 2 trades in mind. First was a future 2nd rounder for Greivis Vasquez and the second was Mustafa Shakur for whatever the hell I can get for him. Probably try to get that second rounder back from someone else.

8. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Ok here's one that got offered to me in the OA after I put Baron Davis on the block.

I traded Davis to Denver for Aaron Afflalo and Denvers '12 1st round pick which probably wouldn't be lottery.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Lol! That would be a sweet deal for the Cavs!

• Like Like x 1
  10. BDSDIGITAL

they wanted it!

11. Dru50

See, that's the kind of trade I think we have to guard against. Why in the world would Denver ever do that deal? Davis is owed a ton of money (as I recall he is not on an expiring contract), and would be a bench player for the Nuggets - I just see no reason why Denver would trade a good young G in Afflalo (who I believe is on an expiring contract) and a 1st round pick to pick up Davis.

I think we'd all agree that the CPU trade logic in 2k is better than what Madden (for example) has, but these kinds of things shouldn't go through. In regards to trades being proposed to your team by the CPU, I think everyone needs to put your 'sim' hat on and not accept something that really doesn't make realistic sense.

12. BDSDIGITAL

I would agree that this trade isn't the greatest ever for Denver...but I only accepted it because the league is a test league. It's still waiting for "vetting" whatever that is. I assume that is everyone to vote on it. And yes, Baron has 2 yrs left.

13. Dru50

I hear ya, I hadn't even thought about the CPU proposing trades to user teams. We should also post any CPU proposed trades for review prior to being accepted by a user.

14. Brandon S.

Brandon S. Freshmen Phenoms Commissioner

Can we post a trade before the league starts so we can just do it ASAP? And where should we post trades and stuff to be reviewed?

15. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

BDSDIGITAL

I'll give you a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich for Davis

16. BDSDIGITAL

Chunky or creamy?

17. Brandon S.

Brandon S. Freshmen Phenoms Commissioner

i'll give you something chunky AND creamy ;) PB&J of course.

18. Dru50

19. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

1 of each. I'll even throw in some gummy bears to sweeten the deal.