Tradition 1, Season 2013 TWIT Preview

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Mogriffjr, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Tradition 1, Season 2013 TWIT Preview

Tennessee has won back to back championships and now more than ever, they will be the hunted as the 11 other T1 user look to chop down the mighty Vols squad. Clemson and said Tennessee are your champions out of the two T1 conferences. This year's theme is "back for one more shot" as many of the T1's biggest and brightest stars have returned for their final senior season for a coveted national title.

TENNESSEE VOLS
    KEY PLAYERS- SR-RB Bryce Brown (99), SO-WR David Dingle (90), SR-RE Rae Sykes (98), JR-RE Leon Jenkins (95), SR-ROLB Lee Darby (97), SR-CB Eric Gordon (99)

---it seems like every year Tennessee just reloads their squad and aims at another shot. But the philosophy should change with the Vols not having Xavier Stephens behind center. Instead they have JR-QB Fred Alexander under center, who will become the full-time starter. Alexander has been on the field the past two seasons and knows the offense well. We feel this year he maybe more of a handler of the offense, with Bryce Brown somehow returning (what you do to suck Brown off? lol) as well as his backup David Oku. Run the ball and then let the defense attack. Both Tennessee starting DE's had a combined 50 sacks almost last year (Jenkins and Sykes) and Sykes won the Lombardi trophy. CB Eric Gordon is a top flight CB, one of the best in the nation. It is said that the Vols, once again, are the team to beat. But without their star QB, can Alexander continue his steady development into a proven collegiate QB?

CLEMSON TIGERS
    KEY PLAYERS- SR-RB Roderick McDowell (97), SR-WR Bryce McNeal (94), SR-ROLB Will Cole (92), FR-CB Doug Morris (88), JR-FS Tyler Love (92)

---Clemson's offensive philosophy takes a bit of a hit losing Parker. They are now going to a more pocket passing QB and that takes a lot of what Clemson does best away...they love to move to the left and right and they make the most of getting their WR's open...ala the Big Ben offense. Newly starting QB Cole Jones is a very accurate QB but is a stationary target. His RB McDowell will be his friend with his quickness speed. Also those quick passes out to the all-american Bryce McNeal and his 6'2" frame will help immensely. The defense has a few new starters like SR-LB Will Cole, who is big time hitter at the position and what we call a diaper dandy in FR-CB Doug Morris. After redshirting, he's the #1 CB and the Tiger coaches rave about his cover abilities. It will be interesting to see how the Clemson offense is ran under a new and more stationary pocket passer.

ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE
    KEY PLAYERS- SR-RB Trent Richardson (99), JR-RB Sylvester Shuler (95), SR-WR Kendall Kelly (99), SR-DT Kerry Murphy (99), SR-MLB Nico Johnson (94), JR-SS Jared King (96)

---Teams like Tennessee, LSU, Alabama, ok the whole SEC seemingly just reload year after the year and this year it's no different for the Crimson Tide. Sure they'll miss starting QB Star Jackson but ask the Crimson Tide coaches about their team and it will be surrounded by a deadly running game with depth for ages and a defense that prides itself on sure tackling and playing aggressive towards the ball. RB's Trent Richardson and Sylvester Shuler are just two of the 4 RB's that Bama can throw at you, and they all are fast guys (93 speed). But more importantly, they are complete RB's...they can catch the ball out of the backfield and they can bull over their defender for the tough yards. And what's a Crimson Tide team without a intimidating defense? Meet guys like Kerry Murphy, Nico Johnson and Jared King...physically imposing guys for their respective positions who can simply knock the wind out of you and by the time you wake up, you'll be sniffing smelling salts. Rolltide is what they like to say, they'll just need to protect their new QB, AJ McCarron and keep him upright because behind them are a pair of freshman, who have yet to get their feet wet in college ball.

AUBURN TIGERS
    KEY PLAYERS- SR-QB Tyrik Rollison (89), SR-RB Xavier Barnes (92), SR-WR Emory Blake (90), JR-RE John Calhoun (83), SR-DT Terrance Coleman (95), SR-LOLB Matt Harrell (97), JR-SS Matt Flynn (88)

---The Tigers have apparantly told Rollison not to worry this year because the Wetumpka Wizard will be redshirted to see the game and to learn the offense more. "Phew"...that was the only reason Rollison didn't go pro. Maybe with him not having to look over his shoulder, he can just go out there and enjoy his senior season. Xavier Barnes and Blake are Rollison's two go-to guys in this offense and expect the senior trio to carry Auburn's offense on their backs. On defense, getting back 2011 Lombardi Trophy winner RE John Calhoun is a good thing, giving the Tigers two quick ends off the edge to rush the QB. Moreso, this new defensive philosophy for Coach Ramirez has gotten his DT involved more than ever. Undersized DT Terrance Coleman has become a star and has impressed scouts with his quickness and strength despite his 6'1", 273lb frame while playing inside. The Tigers best playmaker comes from their secondary in JR-SS Matt Flynn. Flynn had a great year which really went under the radar. He had 85 tackles, 7 for loss and 8 INT's, while forcing 4 fumbles. If the Tigers can keep that element of surprise about their offense against other teams, they'll find success. If not, it could be a long year.

2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Let me just say that Tennessee's Team is retarded times 50. His WR group is INSANE and he has 2 killer TEs. No wonder he wins every year. I have not looked at this team in depth till now. I mean what the HELL? I would be ashamed if any games were even close IMO.

His secondary......lol 2 DTs at 99....the list goes on. Teams should not be this stacked.....

3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    well he did pick tennessee ;) hehe

seriously though he's always getting the top talent.

4. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Should I apologize or something? UT was far from the best team in this league when we started.

If I dont win another title I wont be ashamed JMS....I built this team and have had a blast doing it and playing with them.

Most of the players I have now are mine. I spent the time, planned well and recruited certain players I liked at positions of need.

Pretty pleased with the way its turned out.

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

the job that Rusty has done putting that squad together has made me step up my game big time. and I think my team is starting to get very good because of that. I had to look at recruiting from a whole new angle just to compete with him. He was just BETTER at recruiting than we were.... did he get a few lucky breaks as far as who was interested in him sure, but he knew how to "win" on the players that would make a diference for him. So I examined some things that I could get better to compete... Do I mean "compete" as in get the #1 class? No, I do not. I mean trying to get a roster that can hang with his. Two very different things.

But even if I do that it will be a problem trying to actually win the damn game!

Congrats on the two national titles, and may you win no more.

Hey Mo thanks for writing these up, great work so far man.

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

PS the blue on black is killing me had to highlight that shit.

7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    FLORIDA GATORS
    KEY PLAYERS- SR-RB Mike Gillislee (95), JR-WR Matthew Means (86), SR-DT Sean Dawson (89), JR-ROLB Jeff Jones (95), SR-ROLB Jon Bostic (99), JR-CB Jeff Hall (89)

---Coach Steelah had some pretty depressing things to say about the Florida program saying it's in rebuilding mode. To a national title contender to now rebuilding is a tough thing to say. Needless to say, the Gators program is looking to get back in the saddle. They have a damn good defense led by a duo of outstanding LB's in Jeff Jones and Jon Bostic. Bostic and Jones are physically imposing and can cover sideline to sideline. They will be key in the Gators defense. Not to mention, they have cover CB Jeff Hall, an all-around who is looking to improve on his 3INT's he had last year. Offensively, the Gators will need to get a huge year from SR-RB Mike Gillislee. Now Gillislee will finally get a shot to start and he should be the Gators biggest playmaker. SO-RB John Spence had a great freshman campaign but had a tough camp due to discipline problems and will be 3rd on the depth chart. Behind center, JR-QB Joe Vogel looks to make the step up to become a big time QB but look out for FR-QB Terrell O'Connor. He's a big time recruit with a big arm, ready to take the spot away from Vogel.

FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES
    KEY PLAYERS- SR-QB Will Secord (91), SR-RB Lonnie Pryor (95), SR-WR Rodney Smith (97), SR-WR Willie Haulstead (95), JR-ROLB Lynn Hancock (98), SR-LE Brandon Jenkins (97)

---The Seminoles have all the talent in the world as they are back in terms of the elite but so far, they haven't had much to show for it. Teams like GaTech, Miami and Clemson have won the ACC so far while FSU continues to try to breakthrough. If there's any indication of how to do it, it will be with this team's total look. They are filled with NFL players, especially SR-WR Rodney Smith. At 6'6", he's tall, he possesses the speed and hands to be a star. Right now, he's hell bent on winning a title. He's easily the best WR in the nation. Haulstead plays alongside him and is only a 6'3" WR himself at 215 lbs. FSU causes matchup problems when you include the speedy Lonnie Pryor at RB. If for some reason the offense doesn't show up, they can always shut you down with a defense filled with studs. We personally picked out JR-LB Hancock and Jenkins because they cause the most havoc. Jenkins speed off the edge makes opposing QB's uncomfortable in the pocket and when they scramble, he can easily get to them. Then you have Lynn Hancock, the physical specimen with blazing speed. They are just two of the monsters starting on defense. If they can put it together, they can easily win the ACC.

GEORGIA BULLDOGS
    KEY PLAYERS- JR-QB James Scales (93), JR-RB Mike Anderson (96), SR-WR Marlon Brown (99), SR-LE Arby Jones (98), JR-FS Wesley Bryant (95), SR-DT Cody Lawrence (96)

---May the youth be served. A tale of a team in transition on one side of the ball while on the other, a team ready to contend. The offense is superb, featuring 3 all-americans, led by JR-QB James Scales. We expect Scales to have more free reign this year, as we feel he's heisman candidate material. Of course, he'll have to contend with his teammates like Mike Anderson, who ran for 1429 yards and 20TD's last year and his top WR, Marlon Brown, who had 1153 yards receiving and 15TD's. With a trio like that and a west coast oriented short passing game, the Bulldogs can really go far and get back into the title game this year. On the other side, you have a defense in transition, trying to implement some new starters on defense. They are starting 4-5 new starters, mostly freshman to key their attack. They are faster and more athletic but that doesn't guarantee big results. Guys who've been there for a few years like Wesley Bryant and Cody Lawrence will be relied on to keep these kids in the game. The talent is there to dominate but it remains to be seen if this defense can come along quickly. Therefore in order for Georgia to rise to the top, that offense will have to key this team.

GEORGIA TECH YELLOW JACKETS
    KEY PLAYERS- SR-QB Jordan Luallen (95), SR-RB Orwin Smith (96), SR-WR Stephen Hill (91), SR-LE Emmanuel Dieke (97), SR-MLB Brandon Watts (95), SO-FS George Dunn (81)

---Returning Luallen and Smith was key, especially Smith. The heisman/maxwell/walker winner wasn't satisfied with a 12-2 season. He'll be vital for the team's success. Luallen convinced Smith to come back and with a depleted WR corps, now more than ever will Jordan Luallen be called on to make plays. Gone are the instant offensive guys and in are guys that are solid chain movers. SR-WR Stephen Hill is a top target with his huge 6'4" frame. Defensively, they've changed their defense to take advantage of their new personnel. Dieke is coming off a huge season where he had 21 sacks and he's one of the top pass rushers in the nation. 2012 Bednarik and Thorpe winner George Dunn looks to keep his great play up but it will be hard to top what he did last season. GT's season will come down to limiting mistakes. If Jordan Luallen can cut down his INT total from 25 a year ago, GT does have a shot to win a title.

8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    you mean snatch up the speedy mf'ers...that's mostly what his team has that no one else doesn't. Last year you got most of those kids too...the elite athletes seem to love going there...and he's redshirting those guys so when they play, they are already monsters...nothing new...bruce has always been a recruiting god...helli, you began to get on board last year late...I've yet to figure out how to sway some of these beasts...

9. jfosh

jfosh Super

I've got all three of these teams featured so far on my schedule.

Tennessee....agreed that team is stacked. Rusty has done a great job on his recruiting. Not to mention getting it done on the field. Even when he lost he kept his team in postion to get to the National Title. I look forward to seeing Fred Alexander and the boys. 3rd saturday in October. Mark it on your calender.

Clemson....visits Alabama in week 2. Solid team and coach. I think there will be a battle a QB at some time during the season. The second stringer offers lots of mobility but leaves something to be desired with his accuracy. We expect to see a very efficient team head in too Tuscaloosa that relies heavly on his beasty back McDowell.

Auburn... Always the thorn in Alabama's side. Alabama has 2 one loss seasons and can thank the Tigers for that. No confrence titles or national championships can happen without solving the Auburn problem. QB Rollison should play better this season starting from the get go and with a half season with the new offense under his belt.

Great read MO!!

10. jfosh

jfosh Super

Florida State definitely has the talent to compete with anybody in the ACC and SEC a real contender...

Not looking forward to traveling to Sanford stadium to take on the Bulldogs. Their offense is should be firing on all cylinders this season.

11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Great writeup Mo.... I think you are spot-on. I think our team is talented enough to occasionally come up with big plays on defense, however we will give up yards, points, etc. It will be a learning experience. I really like our emerging athleticism on the defensive side. The thing that we are still weak at is in the middle, we lack the athleticism of a Tennessee on defense. Cody needs to play solid and just do his job, and hopefully Handy will be just that for us this year.

On offense I think we have the opportunity to be special. The problem lies with the guy at the controller of course, I tend to play it safe a bit too often, and when I do open things up, too often mistakes are the result. I will have to see if I can strike a mix of taking a few well-conceived chances while still attempting to make sure that Mike Anderson touches the ball at least 25 times per game. I succeeded in getting him those touches in the first game despite a first quarter injury, and he responded with a huge day. Scales didn't miss on a single pass. Look for him to hopefully be more of a force on the ground this year.

12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    LSU TIGERS
    KEY PLAYERS- SR-QB Russell Shepard (95), SR-WR Rueben Randle (99), SR-RE Sam Montgomery (96), SR-DT Chris Davenport (99), SR-LOLB Barkevious Mingo (95), JR-FS Chris Hart (89)

---The other recruiting genius. LSU's coach Ryno is steady out on the trail trying to bring in the best talent for his squad. Some say he's too busy to coach the program because he's in love with that aspect of college football. Nonetheless, he puts out there a ballclub that can hang with the big boys of the SEC. Shepard is one of the fastest QB's in the nation but as a SR-QB, he's solely looking to improve as a passer. He has made strides in his completion % but make no mistake, he will run, as evident of his near 1000 yard season last year (962 yards). He's one of the rare T1 QB's that is LITERALLY a threat to run on any play. And if he's not running he's passing to the beast that is Rueben Randle, his new #1 toy at WR. LSU can go 4 deep easily at WR and not see a dropoff whatsoever and that's their strength. They can spread the field and pass to a plethora of elite WR's. Defensively they are led by impact LB Barkevious Mingo who's bark can match his bite. A hard hitting LB who is 6'5" and has the speed to cover TE's makes him one of the better LB's in the nation. On the d-line, Montgomery and Davenport wreck havoc on both the passing and rushing game. It all comes down to getting over the hump because they certainly have the talent to do so.

MIAMI HURRICANES
    KEY PLAYERS- SO-QB Adam Francis (89), SR-RB Mike James (93), SR-RE Olivier Vernon (95), SR-DT Curtis Porter (99), JR-ROLB Mark Garcia (91), SO-CB Nicholas Thomas (90)

---Last year was key in the development of their freshman QB Adam Francis. Francis is a pure pocket passer standing at 6'6", 237lbs. He had a very good season throwing for 3610 yards with 30TD's to 18 INT's. Throwing for 277.7 yards a game is no fluke for the freshman but this year will be a challenge. He had a nice group of WR's last year but this year he'll have to get chemistry going with JR-WR Corey Williams (92) who didn't start last year and a freshman and sophomore WR sitting in the 2nd and slot WR spots. To help ease Francis, he'll have SR-RB Mike James to hand off too and that can help any QB, especially with the PA pass game. This Miami team may come down to how well this defense does in the end. Guys like Olivier Vernon need to step up their play in their new roles while guys like Curtis Porter and Mark Garcia need to be the leaders of the defense. SO-CB Nicholas Thomas is a stud flat out. Last year he had 7 interceptions, easily putting him in the top 10 in that category last year.

NORTH CAROLINA TAR HEELS
    KEY PLAYERS- SR-RB Dustin Clancy (93), SR-WR Jheranie Boyd (99), JR-DT Adam Miller (93), JR-DT Anthony Williams (92), SR-LOLB Hawatha Bell (93), SR-SS Jason Smith (91)

---The Tar Heels are trying to shed that label of just being a basketball school. Their football program is starting to match wits with the bball program. Just win a title baby! The Tar Heels are coming off a rebound year, landing them in the top 10 in the polls. This year is key as they'll need to keep the program near the top to start getting more attention the loaded ACC. SR-RB Dustin Clancy is a start but coach Blaza has been weary of loading up the carries on this speedy scat back. Needless to say, Clancy is a game changer and coach Blaza will look for ways to get this man the ball. Another gamechanger is SR-WR Jheranie Boyd, another speedy guy who had a breakout season with 1129 yards receiving and 10 TD's. The tandem at DT will anchor the defensive line as they try to plug in two new defensive ends, who aren't the premier athletes UNC would hope to have at those positions. There were rumors of UNC running a 3-4 but that cannot be confirmed at this time. The depth at LB is great so it makes sense, especially when you have studs like Hawatha Bell running around wrecking havoc all over. Coach Blaza has done an admirable job after cleaning up the mess the previous coach left him during the 2011 season.

VIRGINIA TECH HOKIES
    KEY PLAYERS- SR-QB Antone Exum (93), SR-RB Nubian Peak (90), SR-WR D.J Coles (95), SR-TE Logan Thomas (97), SR-LE Lanford Collins (99), SR-ROLB Tariq Edwards (97)

---Well I am proud to say my tradition 1 bretheren that JuJu Clayton has left to the pros and was drafted in the 6th round by the Philadelphia Eagles as coach Andy Reid wants to re-visit that wildcat offense he toyed with when he had Vick for one year. Phew...now that's settled, let's talk about this year's VTech squad. They are now led by 6th year senior Antone Exum (hasn't he been on VT forever too? lol) but Exum is a supreme runner. The key important note is how far along this offense has come. It's a passer's dream at this point with SR-WR D.J. Coles a huge target and Coach JMS has convinced Logan "the Wolverine" Thomas to come back and shatter all types of TE records. Thomas is a specimen a 6'6", 238lbs with 90 speed. He can line up at WR if he had to but he simply creates huge matchup problems at TE for ANYONE. He's simply too tough to cover (as evident of his 1413 receiving yard, 22TD year) and is going for the unprecidented 4th Mackey award (which he will get). Of course with any Coach JMS team, it will be the defense and if they can somehow become respectable, which they have started to become but consistency is key here. Lanford Collins is a great NFL prospect who has the speed to quickly get to QB's. He needs to be a double digit sack guy for this VT team. Impact LB Tariq Edwards has been starting since JMS has been there it seems and he's improved every year. His leadership along with Lanford pass rush ability gives Coach JMS hope that he can return atop the mountaintop.

13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I always felt you'd be so much dangerous if you started to be more aggressive. You make safe reads so well against users on the short passes that I feel many will take that for granted when they play it close...and I've seen it...when I do so, you have begun to take shots downfield. Take advantage of that personnel! Trust me, I'm already starting to feel the effects of not having those beasts I've had in years past at WR...I'ma need to take a page out of your playbook! haha.

14. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

This is juicy stuff. Yeah offense I rarely concern myself with. I have been trying to recruit defense heavy but there are no 5 star defensive players interested. I have a lot of college defensive players, no potential pros. My ends are probably the exception.

15. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Mo, great summary. Clancy is a Reggie Bush type of playmaker but he still hasn't shown the requisite toughness we look for in our guys. He's got like 75 INJ and is CONSTANTLY missing time with little dings. Although he's been in my doghouse, I did spend 3 hours convincing up not to bolt to the NFL this season. We promised him he would feature more in our offense. We'll see how he steps up as a Senior.

On defense, we have a decision to make on our philosophy. We have 2 monster MLBs and I have to find a way to get them both on the field. (The 2nd String MLB has 89 SPD and 95 TAK) We are also VERY light at defensive end with 4 freshman in the rotation. The 3-4 seems like a no-brainer, however I also have two of the biggest playmakers I've ever seen at Defensive Tackle. These guys constantly wreak havoc and there's no way I can take one of them out for extended periods. I have never really tinkered with the 3-4---hopefully there are some packages that allow both DTs to stay on.

16. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Pretty solid review. But you could have been more honest. Yes last year was key in the development of Francis...unfortunately he (and the entire offense) is going in the wrong direction now though. For whatever reason, no HBs, WRs, ATHs with speed have been interested in us for just about the entire length of this dynasty. While we have some solid power RBs and some decent possession type WRs, the truth is that after Mike James graduates, we won't have a RB or WR on our team over 90 spd. This year, there are like 15 players under 4.40 speed, none have us on their interest list. We're going to have to turn into the Baltimore Ravens. Play a defensive/field position type of game to win. That rarely works in NCAA. And dosn't really bode well for a young QB with a stud arm...but no one to throw to.

17. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I wouldn't worry so much Miami. The ACC does not have a lot of speed in general. All the speed is over in the SEC. Plan to be in the National Title game.........and then you will be screwed...lol!

I really miss the Big Ten :(

18. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Pretty accurate Mo, the best WR we have however is George the #1 WR from our first class. Dingle has elite speed but his hands have left alot to be desired.

Bryce Brown and Oku are a dynamic one two punch. Our TE was a 3 star gem who has turned into a beast as is our starting QB Fred Alexander who has gained valuable experience filling in the last couple years and seems to have a better deep arm then Stephens did despite the rankings.

Our D is fantastic and loaded with senior talent as 7 or the 11 starters are seniors. 3 outta 4 on the d line and 1 lb and 3 out of four dbs including both safties.

We expect to make a run at the title again but it will be very tough sledding with everyone gunning for us, and then after this season we will be back rebuilding this program as we will lose 4 seniors on O and 7 on D.

19. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I am not "gunning" for Tennessee....I am "running" from them!

20. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

Expectations are high in Baton Rouge this year... some feel like this is the best chance in a few seasons to make a run at an SEC Championship.

Shepard has an array of weapons to utilize, the WR's are deep and lead by Randle who is stepping up to try and make people forget about the "Tol(l)ivers's" who are held in high regard in Tiger Country.

SEC Leader in yards rushing and TD's, Junior (RS) HB Eric Ferwerda decided to forgoe the route his mentor at LSU chose and decided to not go pro after a stellar Soph. season. He will once again spearhead a Tiger rushing attack that finished 2nd in the nation last year. Word is though, that Ferwerda will split time a bit more as Junior HB Patterson has really stepped up his understanding of the playbook and has been seen working in short yardage situations. He's a powerful kid with the speed to break away if he gets into the open field.

The Offensive line is massive... and good. They would have been considered great, but Junior 99 OVR C decided to go pro. We moved over a JUCO Mauler that i battled Miami for a couple seasons ago. 5'11 335lbs.. rates out at 88 ovr. The rest of the oline is pretty stacked, all well over 300lbs and rated high. LSU invested alot of time in recruiting OLINE in the past few years and it's paying dividends, especially in the run game.

TE could be the biggest question mark, or the biggest suprise. RS Freshman Chris Fowler takes over the main duties. He was the top ranked TE by rivals.com 2 seasons ago in a strong TE class. The scouts worried about his speed at this level and he has struggled to get seperation at times, but his size (6'6) and his hands are outstanding. He is a great outlet and checkdown option for Shepard.

-------------

ill do defense later if i get the time.....