Tradition Golf Tour with TW 13 *** READ TOP OF THE FIRST MESSAGE BEFORE POSTING PLEASE****

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Vlad, Jan 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vlad

Vlad Inaugural Masters Champion

Featured Threads:
    ****This is NOT an INTEREST TREAD !!! Post only with ideas/feedback for improvement of the tour ****

Hello guys,
    I am starting this tread with the purpose of sharing ideas and opinions of how to improve the Tour for this year (IT IS NOT AN INTEREST TREAD) .We have to admit that we failed last year,as interest rapidly declined after the first month.This year the game itself supposed to play very different,and new features most notably the online country clubs have the potential to help us to run more smoothly.With that being said here are some areas I've identified and believe are viable to make us better this year :

1.More condensed schedule : most likely 12-14 tourneys all together,no breaks in between.The idea is the season to be done by begining of August,since it is imposible to compete with NCAA.

2.Maximum flexibility : Tournaments will run Monday - Sunday to allow players to work better around their schedule.The logistics of how we'll play obviously will be determined once we know more about the Country Clubs.I'll assume we'll be able to create user tournaments,but if simultaneous tournament is not possible I'm open to do hybrid with user rounds for those who simply enjoy playing their rounds with their friends.

3.Pro-Am style tournaments : A lot of people gave up simply cause they were not able to compete.We can run the tour modeled after the Peble Beach model. Pro scoreboard counts toward the Cup points and we'll also have Pro-Am scoreboard with handicaps.
    Now this is where I need help !!!!
    To this moment I am not able to find free program/spreadsheet that calculates handicaps,and I am not going to pay $30-40 to buy one.So all of you programers out there feel free to create one or let me know where can we get one

Also I need people interested in helping running the tour,as I'm not sure how much time I'll have and with Tom missing will simply not be able to go by myself

Feel free to share any thoughts,ideas,reasons for giving up or whatever else either here or PM

Also I've tagged everyone who has played or showed interest in some point.If you are no longer interested that's fine I apologize if the tag was an inconvinience :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  2. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    Tentative schedule for 2012

4/2-4/8 Exhibitions
    4/9-4/15 Phoenix Open(Waste Management Open) @TPC Scottsdale
    4/16-4/22 San Diego Open(Farmers Insurance) @Torrey Pines
    4/23-4/29 The Masters @ Augusta National
    4/30-5/6 The Players Championship @TPC Sawgrass
    5/7-5/13 US Open @Valhalla
    5/14-5/20 Irish Championship @Royal Country Down
    5/21-5/27 The Open Championship @Royal Birkdale
    5/28-6/3 The Bing Crosby National Pro-Am(The AT&T NationalPro-AM) @Pebble Beach
    6/4-6/10 PGA Championship @The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island

Playoffs
    6/11-6/17 The Westchester Classic (The Barclays) @Bethpage State Park-Black Course
    6/18-6/23 The Western Open(The BMW Chanpionship) @Crooked Stick Golf Course
    6/24-6/30 The Tour Championship @East Lake Golf Club

Course on disk not on the schedule:
    Royal Melbourne
    Saint Andrews
    The Els Club
    Celtic Manor

Ok here some comments:
    All together the schedule calls for 12 tournaments : 9 regular season (with 4 majors and the Players Championship) and 3 tournament playoff.The idea is this tour will fall off the cliff once NCAA is released,so it needs to be done before.

I kept the tournaments that are the same in real life and try to do it chronologically as well.The exception is for Pebble Beach wich I moved to split up The US Open and The PGA Champioship,and The Irish Open which plays the week before The British Open,but I flipped to split the majors again.

Of the courses not on the PGA Tour schedule :
    I opted for Valhala (site of the Rider Cup and former host of the PGA Championship) for the US Open and Royal Birkdale for The British Open.
    I left St.Andrews out.I understand it is the home of golf and such,however in the game this course is brutally easy except for the circus pins and gale force winds,plus Royal Birkdale is on the rotation anyway.

As it stands now there are no breaks in the schedule,I thought that was a momentum killer last year.If people insist we can put in a week off somewhere,which will have to follow with a week off before the final tournament (the week of July 4th will be hard to play for a lot of people)
    Even with a week or two off sprinkled in between we should be able to wrap it up by 7/15 which will give people just enough time to trade in the game for the NCAA Football
    Let me know what you guys think

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  3. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

xyzvld22

glad that you decided to expand and improve what Basis4aDay56 started and what I tried to help with. I wish you the best and taking this to become where FIFA has gone. Unfortunately right now I will not be buying the game but if I do I will do whatever to help.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  4. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

I had a similar thought with s/w for leagues & what not but now finding any I could buy used and or steal I never got to test it and come up with a theory on how we could work it.

I am in , I am going back to school full time and should have some more free time this spring, so I can gladly help try to run the Xbox side if needed. I have a few cool ideas xyzvld22 , I may PM you later. We should make a TW tour think tank with some guys that may want to help run it and get some ideas together , IMO

5. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    The whole idea of this tread was to be a think tank ;)

6. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Well here is what I got .....

New ideas: let's have not only tour mode , but league mode. Tour will function like TSO version of PGA tour, but we could have match play league like you would have at local course is real life. I think hat would be fun, and less hassle to coordinate with guys schedules.

Also I like to keep it sim as much as the next guy but whoever came up with the point cap needs kicked in the nuts. I shouldn't be 12 over par on a course on Xbox , I can post stinky scores in real life don't make me do it on Xbox. I purpose we raise the attribute cap a little , we can do that without guys firing 59's every round I think.

As for how to run the rounds , I guess we need to prepare for the worst and hope for better. The system of flight captains is a pain in the ass but until our friends at EA give us better I guess we need be ready for more o the same unless some body has a better idea.

We could also do some of the wall tournaments at end of a season too , maybe like a stable ford & whatnot

7. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    The question is are you going to use your awesome computer skills to make me a handicap calculating spreadsheet ?!!!

8. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

If I have the formula, assuming it doesn't use some function that isn't available in excel - I probably can.

How do you calculate someones handicap?

9. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

It's complicated to a degree , the hardest part for us is the slope (rating of how hard the course is) I don't recall ever seeig slope rating in TW golf. If that is not availible then really our handicap is nothing more than a score average.

10. Vlad

Featured Threads:

11. Keller

Yeah I am seeing that it is fairly complex. Its not undoable, but pointless to attempt even with example data if Tiger does not include a slope rating (and I dont remember that being the case).

12. Vlad

Featured Threads:

The formula is complicated trough.I've been told people in a TW league using another site are using this and work quite well:

http://www.djicomputer.com/HandicapManager.htm

13. Vlad

Featured Threads:

I can ask what they are using for slopes(probably the slopes of the courses IRL)

14. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

If we only play the real courses we can easily look them up , shoot I have done more work looking for NCAA content ideas so it's no biggie to me, but at the same time is that work worth the reward ? I am unclear why we want a handicap system at this point

• Like Like x 1
  15. Vlad

Featured Threads:

Because in my estimation (as much as the philosophy of this site is that wining is not the most important thing) 70% of the people who stop playing,did because they were not anywhere close to being competitive.

16. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Well I quit because scheduling was beeeeoootttch, but I could see that I guess. Also , if word on the street was right it was the PS3 guys shooting in the 50's not us 360 guys ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

My only concern with handicap is "sandbaggers" I guess

18. Keller

That is why I dropped. Getting toasted by xyz's -50 rounds was not fun, lol.

I at least wanted the opportunity to compete - whereas in reality I was just competing amongst my flight group and players outside the top 10, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Vlad

Featured Threads:

Like I said before this always will be a problem with golf and racing games.What I mean is they give you a perfect measuring stick.If I play FIFA,Madden,NCAA and loose I can think well if I didn't make this or that mistake I might have a chance. If I'm shooting 12 strokes higher or running a lap 5 seconds slower I know there is a lot of improvement to be done

20. Bulldog

Bulldog Coach Richt is my Dawg!

You just have to play the game more you can't just put the game in and expect to be awesome at it.

21. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

Tiger woods uses real courses, so can't we get the slopes by googling the course?

• Like Like x 1
  22. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

23. uncleho

uncleho Walk On

Yeah just playing it will vastly improve your game, I wasn't that great at first but then all of a sudden I was competing. If we could work out the handicap thing that would be sweet. I should be able to help out again, I plan on getting it shortly after release.

24. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Mostl yes they do , some are not like emerald dragon course and I am sure a few others. I also said we could look them up in another post moon , c'mon read all my posts ;)

I would look them up from course directly rather than google

25. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

I'll be getting the game. Will have to see where the funds sit as to if I get it on release day.

I'll help out on the xbox side as much as I can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.