Tressel Steps Down

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Cimmy24, May 30, 2011.

1. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Just heard it on ESPN, Jim Tressel has resigned as coach of Ohio State.

@Shaun Mason
    @ryty32
    @ArchieGriffin
    @BDSDIGITAL

and any other Ohio State fans...

What you think? Saw it coming, too early, too late...whose next?

2. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Shame. They should have never let him resign.

3. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

I like it.

4. gwill

gwill Sierra, Hotel, India, Echo, Lima, Delta

As a Buckeye fan this sucks. I hope the media wolves are happy b/c they got what they wanted. The only thing left for us to do is rebuild and recover. I hope the players use this as motivation to win it all this year.

5. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

The rumor is that SI has a story (coming out tonight or tomorrow) that would have forced him out anyhow so he just went ahead and stepped down in advance. Shocker that a guy who cheated his ass off at Youngstown State would also cheat at Ohio State!

6. Iron Mickey

This is terrible news for Buckeye Nation. While I'm no avid Ohio State fan, I was a huge Tressel fan from the outside and the job he did at Ohio State will probably never be matched.

7. bamagrad

bamagrad Back to Back British Amateur Champion

Yr Surprised at this??. How else would he have won the 2002 NT. No shocker on this end, Knew it was coming Tressel Hung himself by not reporting the Violations alot sooner.

8. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

I wonder who they will look at as replacements.

9. bamagrad

bamagrad Back to Back British Amateur Champion

That decision will come after this current season is over. Interim coach will Coach the Bucks this season. Then the search will be on. Of course Urban Meyer has already been mentioned as a replacement.

10. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

That was sarcastic. The thing is, he didn't ever have to pull any of this crap. If you need to kick some good players off of your team because they were breaking NCAA rules, that's fine for OSU. They can recruit at a level where they can replace those guys.

11. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Urban Meyer is the obvious name but I'd be shocked if he took the job. There will be major sanctions coming and Urban doesn't have to deal with that crap if he doesn't want to.

12. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

owned

13. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Seriously? It was his 2nd season as a coach iirc and talent wise, that team should've been like 9-3 at best.

14. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

And our return to the top of the Big 10 begins! We damn sure couldn't beat the vest but that won't be a problem anymore. Watching the buckeyes suffer has been great and this takes the cake. SN: Bamagrad, is their a reason you don't put an 'ou' in the word your? Don't know if its a school rivalry thing or not but it drives me crazy. Don't know why :)

15. LB Fitted

LB Fitted Walk On

idk... i think after kiffin's success with recruiting still in the midst of usc's problem...and bamas quick turnaround from their sanctions....it may be worth it...because that will make you legendary if you take them and turn it around!

16. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

And Urban Meyer is a 'better' replacement? They need to go find a guy who loves the school like we did. Meyer is a joke as well.

17. Iron Mickey

I know who they should hire....

[​IMG]

18. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

As a Michigan fanatic, I have to say I'm not surprised but a little bummed out. The RR experiment may have been interesting this year or next against the vest, and I thought it would be intriguing to see how Hoke's disdain for O$U was going to translate into on the field performances against the vest.

I really hope to get back to the days of the 2006 version of The Game.

The suckeyes have had our number and wanted to get back to a nationally meaningful game with the vest still there. Oh well.

Again, as a Michigan man, I don't really think much will happen in Columbus from a performance standpoint. As LB Fitted stated, Alabama has turned around quickly and USC is still recruiting like gang busters.

19. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

HERESY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Iron Mickey

Couldn't agree more.

21. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Sucks as a Buckeye fan but i knew it was coming. I'm just glad these kids were only selling awards and getting cheap tattoos. What would they have done if the Buckeyes were losers? Sell drugs? But i'm not quite sure i buy Ray Small's comments on how "broke" all the kids were.

As far as replacements. ESPN really needs to stop plugging their "guys" as candidates. Gruden and Dungy will never see a college sideline. Ever.

22. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Yeah, Meyer would be better. Alabama is the only school in the country that could arguably say they have a better coach than him (and I still think I would take Urban). Who cares if someone "loves" the school? There are plenty of coaches with absolutely no other ties to the university who are doing fine. At the end of the day, it just comes down to winning.

23. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Duh. Winning.

24. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Well, I won't argue. If you think Meyer will hop down off his high horse to come sit through NCAA sanctions, pass whatever you're smoking. My point is to find a guy who LOVES your school and is willing to sit though the sanctions. None of these 'high class coaches' are going to be willing to tarnish their record or waste their time with whatever the NCAA hits those acorns with. Saban the best coach? He fields the best teams because him and his staff can recruit like nobody's business. Give that talent to any D-1 coach and you'll get that result. When your the biggest kid on the playground you will win the majority of the fights you're in. But those points shall fall on deaf ears. Have fun with this discussion.

25. FacePlant City

FacePlant City FacePlant City

Wait for the SI article coming out tonight/tomorrow. There may be even more to why Tressel resigned than just selling awards and attaining tattoos.