TROJAN HORSE

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Paytonno1son, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Paytonno1son

Paytonno1son Walk On

2025 Edition​

[​IMG]

Welcome to the inagural edition of the Trojan Horse, the best fan-site covering anything and everything USC. Look for recruiting updates, interviews, game breakdowns, etc. Since this is our 1st blog entry, we went straight to the source, Coach Paytonno1son, coach of our beloved Trojans.​

TH - Hello Coach, how are things?

CP1 - Things are great. We opened our season with a huge win over Michigan in our house. Although it wasn't as crisp as we'd like to see, it's a win.

TH - Sounds like you are a little disappointed, why?

CP1 - Of course I'm disappointed, I'm a coach. I knew we would struggle after we have installed a new offense. The reason for the change was to give QB Kenton Levine a better chance to thrive this season.

TH - Speaking of Levine, why did you red-shirt him as a junior?

CP1 - Kenton was/is the last of our 5* QBs. He made a ton of mistakes as a sophomore even though he was rated in the mid 90's overall. We had another SR, Harwell just sitting on the bench and performed well in the spring so the change seemed like a no brainer. As far as Levine, I knew he had the talent, he's such a pure passer.

TH - So with that said, would you say your style will be more pass heavy this season?

CP1 - I wouldn't say that so much. We love to get off the bus running. We have a stable of guys but they are young. We need the run to set up anything we are going to do in the passing game.

TH - Good. We miss the days of Micah Jordan and Greg Baker. So how would you rate your WRs?

CP1 - Man you know how to get me excited. Where do you start?! Travis King is the only 5* WR in my tenure. As you saw in the Michigan game, this kid will go over, through and around double coverage to make a play. I love this kid. Flanked by seniors, Novak & Brown, could be the best ever for my career.

TH - I'd like to touch on the past a little. Your 2023 season you started out 1-5. Did you ever regret not taking the Michigan job?

CP1 - Honestly, no. In this position, you can't ever get down. I love coaching the Trojans. This is my family now. I knew we had talented players, I just needed to get them in the right positions to make plays. And thats what we did in 2024. The kids were coached up and ready to play.

TH - True there. Well I know you have a busy schedule and I appreciate the time you've given us.

CP1 - No problem. In the end, it's all about the fans. Take care.

RECRUITING UPDATE

USC reeled in 2 recruits in there 1st week;

4* FS - Darrell Williams / 6'-0" 219lbs / Pasedena, CA

4* G - Steve Redd / 6'-6" 285lbs / Cottonwood, AZ

UPCOMING SCHEDULE

#11 USC Hosts #21 Iowa

• Like Like x 2
  2. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Good stuff!

USC has been on a tear as of late

3. Jam.

Jam. FIU; Sun Belt Champions!

Seems kinda familiar...

Haha just fuckin with you man, good work!

4. Paytonno1son

Paytonno1son Walk On

Inspired by a true scholar.

5. Paytonno1son

Paytonno1son Walk On

Week 3, 2025​

[​IMG]

What's up ladies and gentleman of Troy?! Wecome back to the blog. I know many of you are suffering due to the week 2 bye. Let's get a jump on things to see what's up for week 3.​

THE MATCH-UP

USC will play host to the (0-1) Iowa Hawkeyes. This is a rematch of last years game where the Trojans fell to a "Jam-lead" Hawkeyes squad. The Trojans are looking for payback and have the pieces in place to do so. Iowa comes into this game suffering a heartbreaking loss to FIU. Their offense sputtered down the stretch and couldn't get anything going. Conversely, the Trojans are coming off of a close win against the mighty Wolverines.

MOMENTUM - Advantage
    [​IMG]

PLAYERS TO WATCH

On offense, the Trojans have had their success through the air. Primarily known as a running team, they caught Michigan off guard by a WR clinic via the hands of Scott Novak and Travis King. Another good showing will require Kenton Levine to remain poised in the pocket. USC will rely on a decent offensive line to protect Levine. If they do not protect, it could lead to a monster day for Iowa DE, Chris Wise. Wise has played 1 game and has already recorded 4 sacks. Iowa's WRs, lead by playmaker Karl Brown will need to perform well against a tough Trojan defensive backfield. CB Rashaad Daugherty and SS Justin Walker both have 2INTs in just one game and look to increase that number Saturday. Throw SR CB Wayne Timmons into the mix and you have a pretty dominating trio of defenders.

STAR POWER - Advantage
    [​IMG]

INTANGIBLES

This is always a fun one. Measuring the things in a game that can't be shown on paper. The Trojans were riding high after their Michigan win but immediately followed up with a bye week. In one sense, it gives them more time to prepare. On the other hand, there could be slight let down which you see after an emotional win. Hopefully CP1 will have his kids focused on the task at hand. Iowa has just suffered a devastating loss to FIU. This could go one of two ways, motivation to perform better or a confidence crusher. I tend to think that is will motivate and drive the Hawkeyes to do better and Coach GSU will have them coached-up to play disciplined and inspired football.

MAGIC - Advantage
    [​IMG]

Either way this goes it looks to be a great match-up. Hopefully our Trojans will leave this game victorious.

RECRUITING UPDATE

ON the trail this week, USC had an informal visit from one player who is high on their recruiting board. We had a breif chance to sit down with this potential USC playmaker, Mike Gunn.

TH - Hello Mike, thanks for giving us a minute.

MG - No problem Yo.

TH - So how have you enjoyed your visit thus far?

MG - It's been sweet. CP1 is for real. Just the type of coach I could see myself playing for.

TH - So then it's in the bag, we can announce your decision to come to USC.

MG - Whoa, slow down champ. I have my formal visit week 5 for the Washington game. Right now I have USC #1, Miami #2 & Penn State #3.

TH - Alright, you can't fault me for trying.

MG - True dat!

TH - So who have you talked to while you were here?

MG - I spent some time with Travis King. He let me know things about the offense and how CP1 operates. He's definitely a cool dude and I would love to follow in his footsteps.

TH - Yea, King has been a great asset for the team. Hopefully Gunn will be the next big name at USC. It was great talking with you.

MG - You too man, peace.

Here's a brief look at Mike's ratings courtesy of;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

UPCOMING SCHEDULE

Week 3​
    #11 USC Hosts #21 Iowa @ 5-6CST

Week 4​
    USC Hosts Oregon @ TBD​

Week 5​
    USC Hosts Washington @ TBD​

• Like Like x 1
  6. Paytonno1son

Paytonno1son Walk On

Week 4, 2011​

[​IMG]

We are SC...we are SC...we are 2-0 after another Big 10 opponent has been disposed of. Things are off to a great start here and the future looks bright.​

QUICK RECAP

Iowa was fighting an uphill battle from the get go having to call plays through the sound of 90,000 plus at the Coliseum. Iowa QB , Brodie Goss throws an early pick, which USC turns in to a quick score on the legs of FB Mike Crawford. Another Iowa INT on the ensuing drive doesn't lead to any USC points but you could tell Goss was noticibly on edge. Iowa would tie the game in the 2nd but it never felt like they gained momentum which was appearant as USC added 2 more TD's before the half.
    The Hawkeyes were able to stop USC first 2nd half drive which they were then able to drive and score a FG from 47 yards out. From that point on it was the Dedrick Sands show. Starting QB, Kenton Levine was knocked out midway through the 2nd quarter so back-up Sands (Soph) stepped in. After the Iowa FG, Iowa had USC in a 3rd and 2 on the 35 yard line. Coach CP1 called and option as Iowa pinched the line to stop anything up the middle. The rest is history as Sands kept the ball and scampered 65 yards for the score. At 28-10, USC never looked back.

FINAL 35-17

RECRUITING UPDATE

No visits this week or next. USC is still hot on the trail of Gunn and things are looking promising as they have a decent lead over Miami that only Alabama or Georgia could make up. The key is to keep winning. An interesting race is the battle between USC, Georgia & Texas for the services of #1 QB Paul Little. We probably have a "Little" chance to get him in here but we are making a run for it. The only thing we may have going for us is that he's a hometown boy.

Another prospect update brought to you by;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

UPCOMING SCHEDULE

Week 4​
    #9 USC Hosts #12 Oregon @ 9PM CST, 4/20/2011​
    Week 5​
    USC Hosts Washington @ TBD​

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mr2Bits

Mr2Bits 352

USC is

[​IMG]

8. Paytonno1son

Paytonno1son Walk On

Orale, güey

9. Paytonno1son

Paytonno1son Walk On

Week 5, 2025​

[​IMG]

3-0 and on a roll. Things are clicking and the future is bright.​
    QUICK RECAP

This game was a classic back & forth match-up that is typical of the recent USC/Oregon match-ups. The score entering halftime was 17-17. In the second half the Trojans finally started pulling away. Oregon's QB Shane Jackson was rattled early and often, throwing 3 red-zone INTs and a 4th pick which was returned for 6. Kenton Levine was no stranger to the INT himself tossing up 3 picks as well but managed to pull even with 3 TD passes. Good game overall. Defense is still on a tear, forcing 11 turnovers in 3 games. They will need to continue that trend heading into the PAC 10 schedule.​

RECRUITING UPDATE

No visits for Oregon but this weeks game with Washington will be make or break week as the NCAA scheduling committee has left us without a home game until week 11. Hopefully we will be fully vested on our top prospects before they come in. Lets take a look and see who's on tap.

Another recruiting update brought to you by;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully CP1 can sway these young men to not take any other visits and to commit early to the Trojan program. If not, I feel 50% of these guys will be lost to other programs.

GAME PREVIEW

Washington has just been horrible this season. Through 2 games the Huskies have just managed to score 15 points while allowing 73. The problem may be the lack of senior leadership. QB Nate Stovall has zero TDs to start the year and 2 INTs. If the passing isn't working then maybe try to run, but that has been ineffective as well with SR HB Paul Madsen having 76 yards in 2 games with zero TDs. Things do not look good for Washington as they meet up with this USC that leads the PAC 10 in turnovers through 3 games. I'm predicting a 73 point win in this one! j/k​

The Trojan Horse is brought to you by;
    [​IMG]
    Now with quick release tab...so you can still shoot it on her face in time.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Iron Mickey

LMFAO

Ashley loves shooting on the face

11. Paytonno1son

Paytonno1son Walk On

Week 8, 2025​
    [​IMG]

Tough loss to ND has the Trojans looking to regroup on the bye week and finish out the season strong.​
    QUICK RECAP

Another tough rivalry game with Notre Dame. After winning his 1st 2 games against ND early on in his career, Coach P has struggled as of late. This game was no different. USC jumped out early but could not completely shut-down the Irish offense. ND would go up 28-21 on a busted play and USC just didn't have the juice to overcome in the end.​
    HIGHLIGHTS

RECRUITING UPDATE
    Two weeks since our last visit. Here's a quick recap of Trojan recruiting;

ADDED

Adam Frye / 5* / MLB / 6'-1" 220LBS

Mike Gunn / 5* / WR / 6'-0" 169LBS

Anthony Reid / 4* / G / 6'-5" 288LBS

• Like Like x 1
  12. Iron Mickey

That was a fun ass game to watch Payton.

13. Paytonno1son

Paytonno1son Walk On

These games can't be good on my heart.:D

14. Paytonno1son

Paytonno1son Walk On

Week 11, 2025​
    [​IMG]

On the rebound from ND, USC has managed to put away conference foes Stanford & WSU.​

QUICK RECAP

WSU put up a tough fight on defense as they put tons of pressure on QB Kenton Levine, forcing 3 turnovers. This was thankfully off set by breakout RB Brandon Jackson who the Trojans found on their depth chart during their game with ND. Brandon had another great game, 28 carries for 268 yards. Coach P seemed like a genius promoting him to #1 after last weeks game. WSU was as tough as a lower team can be and the Trojans need to turn up the intensity against these lesser opponents if they want to work their way back into title contention.​

RECRUITING UPDATE

The Trojans have added two more much needed prospects for next season. Lets take a minute to meet these prospects.

[​IMG]

Derrick will be competing for a starting job at FS in about 2 seasons. Big question will be to redshirt or not.

[​IMG]

Mr. Murphy brings added depth to an already solid position for the Trojans. Most likely a redshirt, Erik will benefit from a season behind the scenes.

Week 11 is the last big recruiting weekend for the Trojans. Here's a preview of who will be in town this week.
    [​IMG]

UPCOMING SCHEDULE
    Week 11 - ASU
    Week 12 - @ OrST
    Week 13 - Cal
    Week 14 - @ UCLA

• Like Like x 2
  15. Paytonno1son

Paytonno1son Walk On

Week 13, 2025​
    [​IMG]

USC struggles in it's last 2 quarters of football (ASU 4th & OrST 1st) but dominates their final 3 to put away #4 Oregon State, 24-14.​
    QUICK RECAP

USC put the hurt on the Sundevils fairly early. But these last few games after the ND loss have been a challenge. USC was up 24-6 at the end of the 3rd, playing well in all facets of the game. ASU sacked up in the forth, scoring 13 unanswered and having the ball inside the USC 10 yard line with under a minute to play. Saved by a big INT by SOPH DE Corey Walker and remaining undefeated in conference play.​

Oregon State would pick up where the others have left off. Opening up their 1st drive with a 79 yard strike over defenders to Brian McKeon. After they forced a USC turn over in the red-zone, they smashed the ball down field and scored on a 16 yard pass to Julius McNeil. Their defense was stifling, causing USC to punt again. As they drove down field again, USC's Rashaad Daugherty snagged a Mike Carey pass and rumbled 70 yards to the house. This was the momentum the Trojans needed as they would score 2 more times in the 2nd behind the arm of Kenton Levine (35,84). USC's defense would shut the Beavers down for the remainder of the game, forcing 3 turnovers total.​

RECRUITING UPDATE

USC has secured the services of 3* punter, Gary Godfrey. Look for Gary to red-shirt or maybe switch to kicker in the spring.​

UPCOMING SCHEDULE
    Week 13 - Cal
    Week 14 - @ UCLA