TSO book thread

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Danthraxxx, May 25, 2012.

1. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Some CB talk got me thinking that we should have a book thread, for those who can read around here ( sorry Ghost lol , jk bud ).

Currently I am reading :

"Fingerprints of the Gods" by Graham Hancock

Being a full-time student is killing my extra reading time , well and TSO but I need my game fix :D

Favorite recent books :

"America's war on terrorism" by Michel Chossudovsky - not what you think it is about, this book dives into some unexplained facts about various issues with 9/11, terrorism, war on drugs in Afghanistan & HAARP

"Golf is not a game of Perfect" by Dr. Bob Rotella - best golf book you need to play better, deals with mental aspect of golf.

"The Reason for God" by Timothy Keller - Awesome book a friend gave me when I was trying to figure out my religious beliefs ( still a work in progress ) , not a preachy book by any means, this title is more of an intellectual debate about God and religion.

"Searching for God knows what" by Don Miller - considered a Christian author, this book to me is a lot more about growing up without a father(which I related to well) than a book about religion, however the book does have a lot of religious overtone. I love this author, just a real genuine dude IMO

"Wins, Losses, and Lessons: Autobiography" by Lou Holtz - I picked this up after getting jacked' up watching a Dr. Lou halftime speech on college gameday lol , I would go plant my momma in the turf for Lou if I was his player :p .... this is a decent read, Holtz is funny and some subtle life knowledge in here as well. My favorite part was Lou mentioning how when he grew up back in the day nobody was "depressed" because they never expected to have anything. That made me reevaluate my perspective on some things.

Anyway hope we get some good stuff in here guys (y)

2. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I'm currently suffering through the first Game of Thrones book (should have read before watching, but I paid for it)

Favorite Books (in no order):
    The Boys of Summer - Roger Kahn
    The Picture of Dorian Grey - Oscar Wilde
    Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut
    Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
    The Naked and The Dead - Norman Mailer
    The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand
    The Baroque Cycle (3 book series) - Neal Stephenson
    Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
    Cryptonomicon - Neal
    A Separate Peace - John KnowlesStephenson
    Ulysses - James Joyce
    Water For Elephants - Sara Gruen
    Foucault’s Pendulum – Umberto Eco
    Freakonomics - Steven Levitt
    The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
    Black Swan - Nassim Nicholas Taleb
    The Devil in the White City - Erik Larson
    For Whom The Bell Tolls - Earnest Hemingway
    Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk
    Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
    Where the Sidewalk Ends - Shel Silverstein
    East of Eden - John Steinbeck
    Dharma Bums - Jack Kerouac

(Yes I read through a list of the classics in middle school)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Game of Thrones is next on my list to read, I haven't seen any of the shows yet though so hopefully the first book doesn't start off too slow. I just finshed up The Hunger Games trilogy, and really enjoyed that. I'd heard a lot of people didn't like Catching Fire or Mockingjay nearly as much as the first book, but Catching Fire was my favorite by far. Not sure why, that one just interested me the most. I've also read a couple of the more obvious choices like the Harry Potter series, and Moneyball. Some other good books I've read:

Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss
    Patriot Games by Tom Clancy
    Redwall by Brian Jacques
    The Dark is Rising series by Susan Collins

A couple of other books I want to read are the rest of the Redwall series, and the Millenium series. I have The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, just haven't gotten a chance to sit down and read it yet. I'm thinking those will come after I finish Game of Thrones.

4. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Timpe and i were actually JUST talking about books today. Mainly the Hunger Games trilogy. I am on the second book Catching Fire and am really enjoying it. Hunger Games itself was solid. Can't wait to start Mockingjay.

Shaun Mason Chuck P is a fantastic author. Have yet to read or even see Fight Club, but it is high on my list. Snuff and Invisibile Monsters are two Chuck P books i enjoyed the most. Especially the twists and turns of Invisible Monsters.

I think i've raved about this before but for all of you Dexter watchers, the books are GREAT. Dexter is even more sinister in the books than he is on the TV show. You also come to find out that the TV show really only took its plot from the first book and from there on out they are different storylines. Jeff Lindsay how a great writing style and his dry humor with Dexter is just pure entertainment.

I've also read a ton of John Grisham stuff. Football fans out there will love Playing For Pizza. It has a romance story to it as well, but still very enjoyable. It also makes you really want to travel Europe. Bleachers was another good football book of his. Not as good as Playing For Pizza, but still good. I'm interested to get my hands on his baseball book.

5. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Danthraxxx

Currently reading/discussing/studying "The Reason for God" in my small group

Last Book and I believe the only book that I have really read and got into was "The Innocent Man" John Grisham for senior seminar.

On my list to read that I should have read thoroughly for some of my classes while in school:

Indian Killer - Sherman Alexie
    Fish: A Memoir of a Boy in a Man's Prison - TJ Parsell
    Hard Times - Charles Dickens
    Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    An American Tragedy - Theodore Dreiser
    All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque

6. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

I am currently reading game of thrones. Great books I am on the fifth now. For you sci fi folks I defenately recommend the Enders Game books. They are awesome.

7. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I plan on reading some post aocolyptic sci fi fiction here soon; The Postman, The Road and World War Z should be first up.. i have loved this genre since I played Fallout 3 :p

8. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:

DO NOT READ 'An American Tragedy'. It's a long, drawn out and pitiful excuse of a novel. So bad.

The only book I have read cover to cover is The Alphabet of Manlinees by Maddox. If you read any other book before you finish this one, you are not a man.

I often can't decide which one I hate more - Reading or Running. Probably reading. So I can't add much more to the conversation.

9. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

[​IMG]

10. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Those I have read, and great taste. Black Swan was particularly interesting.

11. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Some of my favorite reads:

Failed States - Noam Chomsky
    1984 - George Orwell
    Off Center: The Republican Revolution and the Erosion of American Democracy - Professors Jacob S. Hacker & Paul Pierson
    A Farewell to Arms - Ernest Hemmingway
    Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison
    The Gay Science - Fredrich Nietzche
    What Is Called Thinking? - Martin Heidegger

Currently reading:
    A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson

12. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

David that first gif is possibly the worst gif I have seen at TSO , very disappointed , I felt your gif skills were better :(

13. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Nice list sir. Have you read Hemmingway's "Moveable feast" ? It's a collection of stories from his time in France , one of my favorites.

14. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Don't disrespect The Big Lebowski!

15. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

Amazon has a bunch of free "classics" for the kindle- if someone has time could they glance through them and tell me which would be worth reading?

• Like Like x 1
  16. KnightNoles

I also want to read The Art of War - Sun Tzu

I think it is a hard read if I remember correctly, skimmed the first few pages a while ago

17. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

one of the most over-rated things I have ever seen personally, maybe it was the translation version I had but it was nothing too special IMO

You would be better served to read Bruce Lee's "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" , way more Chinese philosophy that makes sense , 70% of Art of War is basically philosophy & poems.

18. KnightNoles

Google Play also has free ones also, if you have an Android and/or Play Books:

Noted
    Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
    A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens

Also
    Great Expectations - Dickens
    Frankenstein - Mary Wollstonecraft
    The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne -- Name only, don't know how good it is
    The Murders in the Rue Morgue and Other Stories - Poe
    White Fang - Jack London
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Twain
    Adventures of Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

19. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

was definitely planning on a tale of two cities-- though idk anything about it, just was one i had heard of. Gotta remember most of what I read in school was little house on the prairie Noles!

thanks for the tips though- i'll get around to some of those.

Side note-- during middle school/early high school i fucking loved the Last Vampire books by Christopher Pike; way gorier and just generall better then the Twilight stuff of today. I guess you could say he was ahead of his time- anyone else ever read these?

20. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    If you like Vampires...read the old Anne Rice stuff, I loved that as a kid.

21. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

Recently read books:

Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy, Pretty awesome book especially if you like western/frontier novels.
    Kitchen Confidential - Anthony Bourdain, Bad ass look into Bourdain's career and restaurant life.
    It Never Rains in Tiger Stadium - Jon Ed Bradley, Former LSU center talks about playing college football and his life after college. Great read, recommended.
    How to Talk to a Widower- Jonathan Tropper, A funny book on a man who's wife recently died and how he gets over it and deals with his out of control step-son.
    The Average American Male - Chad Kultgen, Hilarious book about what guys think about and do everyday.
    Into Thin Air - John Krakauer, Great read about adventure and the struggles of climbing Mt. Everest.

Currently Reading:

Dixieland Delight - Clay Travis, Travels to every stadium in the SEC in one season and tells about the gameday experience. Pretty awesome so far.
    Charcutarie - Michael Ruhlman, The craft of salting, smoking, and curing meat. Something I really enjoy. Have made sausages and bacon so far. Hoping to get an extra cheap fridge soon so I can start creating cured meats.
    The Oxford Companion to Beer - Garrett Oliver, Everything relating to beer is in this book.
    The Elements of Cooking - Michael Ruhlman, Cooking terms and techniques.

What's next to read:

What Einstein Told His Cook - Robert Wolke
    On The Road - Jack Kerouac
    American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis
    The Lie - Chad Kultgen
    Man's Search for Meaning - Viktor Frankl

• Like Like x 1
  22. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Dostoevsky is far and away my favorite author and the best novelist ever IMO. If you havent read anything by him, then you are missing out. Any of his masterpieces would be a good place to start, but almost all of his stuff is amazing. The Brothers Karamazov, Crime and Punishment, and The Idiot are generally considered his three best works. Notes From the Underground is fucking great too.

He also wrote a bunch of short stories that I love. White Nights and The Christmas Tree and the Wedding are my two favorites.

I also like writing/poems from the Beat generation. Allen Ginsburg, William S. Burroughs, Jack Kerouac etc. These guy were "Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll" before that shit even existed. Each of those three has one great piece IMO, but their other stuff is good as well: Howl by Ginsburg (make sure you get the complete version), Naked Lunch by Burroughs, and On The Road by Kerouac.

Some other good reads:
    Grendel -John Gardner
    Hobbit/Lord of the Rings -Tolkien
    Drive -Larry Bird
    The classics I read in school, like:
    Fahrenheit 451
    The Great Gatsby
    Catcher in the Rye
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    The Grapes of Wrath

23. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Great read. When you are done with that, check out the other famous Beats writers I mentioned in my post.

24. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

Currently reading:

The Complete Hitchhikers Guide series - Douglas Adams
    The Greatest Show on Earth - Richard Dawkins

Favorites:
    On the Origin of Species - Charles Darwin
    At the Mountains of Madness - H.P. Lovecraft
    Basically anything from Poe
    Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
    The Odyssey & The Iliad - Homer
    World War Z - Max Brooks
    The Demon Haunted World - Carl Sagan

On my soon to read list:
    The Divine Comedy - Dante
    The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins
    The Ancestor's Tale - Richard Dawkins

25. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Its not too tough of a read, you should definitely check it out.
    Say what? I really liked it. A lot of truth in that one.

Another good one along the lines of Art of War, is The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli