TSO-GC's NCAA Football '13 Gameplay Impressions

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by Iron Mickey, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

I just got back from from the NCAA Football '13 Community event and I finally have gotten back and situated in front of a computer. Myself HackGolfer and Shaun Mason all attended the event as well.

I did not say too much (on the site) while down there testing because I really tried to dig into the game as much as possible, take notes on everything I saw, and help find bugs/issues as well.

This was my first time ever experiencing this and while I cannot go into detailed specifics on some things, I can tell you honestly this was nothing like what I was thinking in my mind in regards to how sports games are made...lol. Alot of time goes into these things and it's amazing how many hands/people/teams it takes to develop such a game. Obviously I knew it took time to create a game but some of these guys you wonder if they had even left the building when I would come in for the day, some serious hard work is going on at the moment and you can tell they are in overdrive to pump out a great football game in '13.

From the "Experience" side of things it was really refreshing to know that most the ppl involved in the game knew the game of Football alot. We got to spend DAYS with these people so it did not take long to know that these are just not a bunch of programmers just shooting off the hip on a sport they do not know. They had several key guys involved with the game that played major college football which was a surprise and really nice to know as well. On top of that they are very kind and open minded, they listened to our opinions and ideas and really seemed to enjoy our feedback. They are very upfront and do not BS you on certain ideas and "wants"...if it just isn't doable at the time or maybe they do not agree fully/or have another vantage point they are upfront about it and that is refreshing because they are not just nodding or agreeing.

Well the whole point of this is for me to share my impressions of what I got to experience in NCAA Football '13 this week. Some of it might be "repetitive" but just take that as me confirming what you have already been told from the EA release of gameplay and video.

I'm SURE I have left things out of these notes so do NOT hesitate to tag me and ask me something specific that you are curious to know or even if you are looking form more detail into one of my impressions/comments. Long as it's GAMEPLAY related I'm allowed pretty much to talk about it. I just cannot delve into anything other than Gameplay at the moment.

• Many new catch animations -----I mean a lot! And the receivers relate to the type of throw and the players body positioning.
    • Pitch relationship is much improved, cleaner, you must get it out early which is nice
    • If the receiver doesn't see it he won't make the play—Same for the defense on ball play.
    • DB/WR interaction is great, very realistic, doesn’t stick like glue and run step for step with the receiver
    • Defensive backs do a much better job competing the jump balls, the interaction midair is great
    • OLine/DLine interaction is tuned (not overhauled). The offensive linemen extend and grab, slide accordingly as well with the defender. Great playaction play is back for ’13!
    • Defensive backs with good awareness trail receivers well and when they see the ball coming can make excellent plays on midair balls without warping thru the WR. Also when making a play or interception for example the DB catches stretched out and rolls across the turf like in real life
    • Neat and new team celebrations between plays...not just an individual anymore (seemed like only “team” celebrations were TD’s in ’12). Guys will hug and jump bump midair. Especially on big downs or plays.
    • Guys that leave players on one on one coverage and islands will be venerable because physic DB’s are gone and cannot just run hip to hip like before in coverage. The WR’s get much better separation especially the better the route runner he is.
    • Drag routes are deeper and actually realistically pass thru the void between the DLine and linebackers.
    • The new passing trajectories are great, you really need to practice to be very efficient with each type, and remember that it is going to be individually specific to the particular QB you are playing with (which is nice) But the moon balls are long gone and now a more realistic and perfect deep trajectory is in place, especially with a decent armed QB. The intermediate pass is my favorite because the way it comes off the QB and how when read correctly you can drop a ball between a zone or a couple defenders standing close. Also when throwing to a back out of the backfield it looks great as well
    • When running a fade route, when the ball is thrown well a receiver will do a good job high pointing the ball and catching at its highest point. When it is thrown to the wrong shoulder the receiver sometimes will flip his hips and attempt to high point as well
    • Unlike in ’12, speed in ’13 doesn't necessarily mean you will get by a secondary on a deep ball. While players will still get their fair share of “big” down-field plays in traffic and nice catches with good coverage it definitely is not as common this year. As mentioned previously, defensive backs that do a good job looking back and getting a “beat” on the route will do a great job running with receivers and making a play to swat them down or even snag an interception. Passers will have to make sure a receiver has a good step or break on a DB or they could be potentially in trouble often. Passers will need to find mismatches as well to help them push the ball down the field.
    • The comeback route is a work of beauty if you read the defense and the defensive back correctly. I cannot tell you how happy I'm with the new look.
    • Screens have been improved (slip, wide, and middle). The linemen react and block much better, and do an excellent job going down-field leading a back.
    • Good and accurate pocket depth/presence will be rewarded. If you are dropping back too deep the ball loses power and accuracy will be lost.
    • Quarterbacks throwing on the run look great IMO. It just looks alot more fluent
    As a side note I would like to boast that I won this signed RGIII ball playing great quality SIM TSO Football (Shaun can attest to this) in a small community tourney last night. I did it with Stanford as well.
    And for the record I'm the 1st TSO GC'er to win for us :trophy:
    460532_436339483048651_100000178098047_1894163_335492436_o.jpg

INFORMATION ADD's after answering questions:

"I'm surprised nobody has asked this, but are there any diving catch animations? This is a catch animation that is sorely missing, it's so frustrating when a ball is just out of reach and the WR doesn't dive for it.

Also, does it feel like there are 430 new catch animations? What I mean is...will you see the same catch animations over and over again? It seems like every year we hear about how they put in hundreds of new tackle animations yet we see the same 10 every game."
    ----------------------------------------------
    Good question and the answer is YES! Now I did experience the dive catch in NCAA Football '12...you had to manually do it and you performed the animation/attempt at a stretched out dive using the square button (PS3).

Now in '13 I was testing on a Xbox but yes the dive catch is in but I had to User catch to do it from my experience. There were a few that seemed a bit too out stretched so I submitted it for review as well so it possibly could be tuned a bit better.

Yes on the animations for catches as well.....all the different ones stand out to you and you begin to realize how quickly they add up..for example

On a simple comeback route now a WR depending on how the ball is coming to him can be caught SO MANY WAYS....down low and out...down low and in...out in up....him driving himself back towards the ball mid air extending out life in real life to make a grab and then cutting back up field.

It get's me pumped just thinking about it in all honesty...lol. If I were the one doing that first game play release video I would have done the comeback because it looks so damn sexy.

In the tourney I played amongst others several were being very aggressive @LOS and when I sensed a heavy blitz I was generally checking to a comeback on the outside and getting beautiful 8~10 yard snags.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
    • Like Like x 12
  2. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

David do you see guys physically bite on the PA? Does AWR or how well you've been running the ball have any impact on that?

Also is it generally harder to deliver hit stick blows? After taking time off from NCAA and playing Madden, coming back I find it unrealistically easy to do this in NCAA.

Thanks!

3. Iron Mickey

Yes. Defenders will get fooled and I even had times to the point where they were so fooled my WR had a 10~12 yard beat on the secondary for a wide open TD....i.e. Blown Coverage

I think the defenders awareness has a GREAT impact on it from what I could tell but that doesn't necessarily mean a good defender wont get caught with his pants down.

Good question on running the ball, I personally cannot remember making that relation so I'm not sure but maybe Hack or Shaun know.

I did not see much difference in the hit stick. I'm one that thoroughly loves to use it though with defenders with good hit power :)

4. -Cougars-

-Cougars- Walk On

Ah man, I'm stoked for this game already. Thanks for the info.

5. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Great to hear. Thanks!

6. runthepound

runthepound Get on the Bus!

Great job David! Very nice to read some of the things you posted here. Looking forward to '13!

7. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

Been asking everybody this, and it's already been answered satisfactorily so no rush on this: But what are your thoughts on the Read/Zone Option play? Everybody that's been there that I've pestered has said it's been improved from '12, but I wanted to get your thoughts as well.

8. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

David, is the CPU no-huddle offense fixed? Will they call plays based on the personnel on the field and allow the defense time to set up?

Thanks for the impressions. Really excited about 13.

9. Iron Mickey

Guys that love the spread option should love it in '13. I tried it out a good bit but it wasn't my main focus. But we had another individual there that I know that was specifically putting it to the test with the likes of Oregon and Arkansas State and it looked vastly improved. Seems like the fakes and QB/RB relation was better IMO. I know logic looked better in blocking it up

Again though I'm not a big spread guy but I was within a few feet of one and it looked like he was doing some nice plays with read/zone option out of the spread formations.

I'm sure Shaun and Hack might have some insight on that as well.

I will contact the guy I know who really got into the spread and put his impression of it in here and tag you Baron.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Iron Mickey

Thanks, and good damn question man.

But you just made me realize something....haha. I experienced (0) No-Huddle (in a CPU game) in all the games I played.

Shaun Mason
    HackGolfer

Did you guys?

11. PSUEagle

PSUEagle Walk On

Asked the following question in another thread and am curious if anyone got a chance to really play around with custom playbooks:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Iron Mickey

I can only talk Gameplay at the moment man. I'm sorry bud, hopefully soon I can talk about playbooks, Dynasty, recruiting, etc.

13. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

Freaking sweet dude. Really appreciate you going outta your way on this.

14. Iron Mickey

Shit..no problem man, I'm just another dude trying to help other NCAA Gamers get quality info. Hopefully one of the other guys can expound more on it.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Flustercuck

Flustercuck Walk On

Thanks for the recap David.

I've been lurking but this is my first post. I was wondering if you could tell me the scores of some of your games. Alot of the gameplay changes 'seem' to be offensive related so I'm hoping the D has been adjusted as well and the games are balanced and not high scoring every game.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Iron Mickey

They were pretty normal honestly vs the CPU..I played with a wide variety of teams and went up against really good to low-tier. I played mostly on All-American as well.

Yeah I had another couple guys get that same impression on the offense as well and this is my response on that:

Well like I said the WR must see it to catch it. Well my experience was if the WR wasn't seeing it that is was likely a bad read/or rushed throw and you paid the price for it and the DB or LB would get a good read on it (and take that SOB to the house on ya). It really seemed balanced IMO bud, maybe a slight edge on offense because while the defender does better on mid-air balls I would say the advantage went to the offense, especially if it was 1-on-1

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mosier

Mosier Walk On

Great read Schad.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Flustercuck

Flustercuck Walk On

Thanks man! Very good to hear.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Iron Mickey

Thanks Casey

20. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Yea, Air Force was doing it intermittently on me.

21. Bryan

Bryan Walk On

Does the running game feel any different or is it pretty much the same as last year?

Also what were some things you didn't like, or thought needed to be improved?

22. wisepegasus

wisepegasus Walk On

any improvements or new animations to blocking & tackling?

23. Gotmadskillzson

Gotmadskillzson Walk On

Some Questions for you David and anyone else who was there:

1. Is the psychic play calling gone ? As in if I choose punt fake pass, the CPU defense don't come out in a Nickel defense. Or if I call a 5 wide QB blast, the CPU defense don't come out in a Nickel defense and bunch all their line backers in the middle of the field and put them up very close to the line.

2. Did they tone down the jump the snap ? CPU did that pretty much every play it seemed in NCAA 12.

3. Pass interference & offsides in the game ? It was nearly impossible to draw the CPU offsides in NCAA 12 and pass interference never ever been called.

4. Has the CPU situation awareness been improved ? As in their punters try to coffin kick the ball instead of kicking it out of the back of the end zone all the time. Or it be 3rd down and the QB will scramble but yet SLIDE 4 yards short of the 1st down.

5. Speaking of QB sliding when they scramble, did they tone that down ? I was so sick of seeing QBs slide when they only had 1 defender to beat, but yet they had all that open field to the left and right of them to run to.

6. Do CPU ball carriers actually use their special moves this year ? As in spin, jukes, etc. Last year every ball carrier thought they were Earl Campbell and tried to run over everybody. Also do they do a better job this year of running to daylight ? Last year they loved the middle of the field too much and rarely bounced it to the outside where they had wide open space.

7. Did they get rid of the patty cake animation between the Defensive End and Offensive Tackle ? Also do CPU Defensive Ends rush to the inside shoulder of the offensive tackle sometimes and not just rush the outside shoulder of the Offensive Tackle all the time in a pre-determined arc like they did in NCAA 12 ?

8. Did they improve or tune locomotion at all this year ? Last year players turned on a dime, changed directions on a dime with no slow down what so ever.

9. Does weight matter this year ? As in a 240 pound RB dragging a 185 pound CB. It should take multiple people to bring down a big RB or FB. It was way too many solo tackles in NCAA 12.

10. Any new tackle animations ? Gang tackles ?

11. Has defensive backs tackle logic been tuned or improved ? As in they will go for the legs of a bigger player instead of trying to tackle them up high.

12. Punt blocks or FG blocks by the CPU ?

13. Do CPU punt returners actually return the ball for more then 10 yards this year ? Or do they still suffer from that TUNNEL VISION and only just run in a straight line from the spot they caught the ball directly into the tackle like a mindless robot with no sense of situation awareness of what is to the left and right him or his own speed rating.

14. CPU WR dive for catches on their own ? This was a problem last year, none of the CPU would dive on their own. I mean not all of us like to USER CATCH and then you have to think about all the Coach Mode players out there too. I played Coach Mode a hell of a lot in NCAA 12 and haven't seen not ONE of those new diving catches because the CPU wouldn't do them on their own.

15. Any improvements to Coach Mode ? Or will there be a separate blog for that at a later date ?

16. Did they fix side line catches for the WR can do a much better job of staying in bounds and turning up field ?

17. Did they fix the ball bounce on punts ? Last year they pretty much only bounced forward. Never backwards or to the side or just straight up in the air, it was always forward.

18. Do impact WRs get the bulk of the passes from the CPU QB or do slot WRs and TEs still get majority of the passes ?

19. Any changes to the running animations ? Or the way a ball carrier carries the ball ? As in some carry it high and tight, others low and kind of loose.

20. Will a power back play like a power back and a scat back play like a scat back ? Last year they all played like mindless robotic power backs who only knew one direction, forward, regardless of how many people were in front of them.

21. Can a strong defensive lineman push a pass blocker back into the backfield into the QB face ? Kind of like on running plays they can push a run blocker back into the backfield into the Running Back's face.

22. Did they tone down the frequency defensive lineman fall down to the ground ? Seemed like in NCAA 12 it was like every play you had TWO defensive linemen that would fall down to the ground at the SAME TIME IN SYNC.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Shyvoodoo

Shyvoodoo Walk On

Did they fix the Broadcast camera in CPU vs. CPU games???

25. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Wish you would have posted this while I was in Orlando, I would have worked through the whole list with the game in front of me.