TSO Offensive Scheme Breakdown

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by I Peench, Jul 3, 2013.

1. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

TSO Offensive Scheme Breakdown

[​IMG]

Hello TSO!

The improved blocking present in NCAA 14 opens up a world of possibilities on the offensive side of the ball. Previous attempts at certain schemes were made difficult due to the AI’s inability to maintain blocking assignments. With that issue being largely resolved, it appears as if all different offensive schemes are now viable options.

We’ve gathered some of the greatest football minds we have here at Tradition Sports to explain their very specific schemes, and give advice as to how you can incorporate them into your game this cycle. Below we’ve detailed each scheme, in hopes to encourage users to branch out and try something new this release. With the new blocking logic benefiting each scheme, there is no better time to experiment with a new style of offense!

RadarRider - The Pistol Offense
    smlVICTORIES53 - The Triple Option Offense
    MartyWebb - The Single Back Offense
    jello1717 - The Spread Option Offense
    Shaun Mason - The Air Raid Offense
    KnightNoles - The Pro Style Offense

Many thanks to those that contributed! Don't forget, you can always mix and match these play styles in a custom multiple offensive playbook. Let us know what you think of our breakdown, as well as what style of play you plan to employ in NCAA 14!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 33
  2. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Great stuff. Plan on doing one for defense?

3. I Peench

I'd like to do one eventually.

4. maverickfp

maverickfp Walk On

Yes please. I need much help on that.

5. ChaoticUT

ChaoticUT Life is Orange and White!

Great stuff fellas!!!

6. LeGeNd RiPs

LeGeNd RiPs Is it football season yet?

Good shit.

7. Ghost

Ghost Before the rollieee!

Great Stuff RadarRider has convinced me to run the Pistol.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gwill

gwill Sierra, Hotel, India, Echo, Lima, Delta

will someone be doing a run & shoot breakdown?

• Like Like x 1
  9. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Basically read the air raid blurb

• Like Like x 1
  10. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Thanks I Peench for recruiting me for this, and those who did it with me for other offenses, fantastic work fellas.

11. lere2001

lere2001 Walk On

What an awesome breakdown. Thanks a bunch guys. Looks like I'll probably be running the Spread Offense this year.

12. Black Republican

Black Republican TMFL Commish -- **ISYMFS** --

Good work fellas!

• Like Like x 1
  13. TryHardNation

TryHardNation Texas Gang or Die

I'll make sure not to start two sentences with "at" in the same sentence while running the air raid.

• Like Like x 3
  14. chance17

chance17 Walk On

They do look the same on the surface and often in this game, but there are actually some core differences between the two. The air raid highlight is a great starting point. Definitely learn to pre-snap read as Shaun highlighted (MOFO/MOFC) and if you have numbers in the box, run the damn ball.

If you want a full breakdown of the run and shoot, there are plenty of resources below from people with more coaching experience than I have (zero :D).

The short of it...
    The receivers don't run set routes, but read the defense and run an appropriate route. The defense is always in the "wrong coverage" because of this. The receivers and QB have to be on the same page or it all falls apart. When it works, it's a thing of beauty. The problem is that the receivers don't read the coverage in the game and seemingly choose random options. Hopefully, it gets fixed with this release.

There are analogous plays to the air raid or plays that serve the same purpose because these were both developed around the same time and were addressing problems of their day. Choice replaces Y Cross, Slide replaces the bubble screen to keep the alley defender honest, Switch gives a simple MOFO/MOFC read, and Go is the vertical threat combined with a horizontal threat.

Resources
    In no particular order...
    1979 SI article about Mouse Davis at Portland State. You might recognize some names in here :)

John Jenkins' Houston Gamblers QB manual The holy bible for those learning the run and shoot from scratch

A lot of stuff on smartfootball.com including...
    Go concept with a June Jones video worth seeing
    Smart Football intro
    Seam read and Go
    Choice
    Streak
    What killed the run and shoot?
    Add a little Hawaii to your offense

Nykia31's youtube channel has some good videos of his gameplay

If you can find a copy (let me know if you do), Tiger Ellison literally wrote the book on it. He was more of a run-first guy unlike than the later iterations most are familiar with, so be aware the game has evolved and so has the run and shoot.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I Peench

Hahahaha yeah, that's my bust.

16. lere2001

lere2001 Walk On

Actually made me laugh at loud while at work.

17. Snake Eyez

Snake Eyez Walk On

The R&S functions differently from the Air Raid as Chance17 has eluded to above. It does share similarities, but at it's pure form it's much different still.

Basically, if you can learn the pre-snap reads and QB Progressions for the core 5-plays of the R&S: 60 Go, 60 X/Z Choice, 60 Slide, 90 Switch, and 90 Streak you have the foundation to run the system. Other older concepts like Smash, Snag, Double-Outs, and new stuff like Flash, Hook, etc. all build off of the original 5 concepts. You can literally run the base 5 concepts and a handful of run plays most of a game and still have enough flexibility and difference in route combos to keep the defense off balance and win. Some of the core plays also have variations in the form of "tags" where WRs in the play will swap assignments based on the tag added to the play-call... example "60-Go Special, 60-Go Swap" etc.)

The new R&S concepts like Levels, Georgia, Nebraska, etc (some of these have diff play names in the previous versions of NCAA, so I'm anxious to see if anything was changed or added) are mostly based off of West Coast offense concepts that June Jones picked up while exchanging ideas with the great Bill Walsh and Ted Marchibroda.

June added an Air Raid guy to his staff this year at SMU, in Hal Humme. I expect this to be the next evolution of the 'Shoot and JJ in particular... The offense we saw Hawaii using w/ Colt Brennan was different from the one we saw in the NFL during the 90's, and I expect some new wrinkles this year from this marriage of Air Raid and R&S.

I've used the R&S in NCAA ever since the real plays were added to the game... I plan getting a game recording device this summer and posting some game play to explain the QB progressions.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  18. LTL7360

LTL7360 Play hard for the name on your chest: Texas A&M

If you are still looking for the Tiger Ellison book, I have an e-copy I would be glad to send you. Its unbelievably insightful to me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

This may be my favorite post ever on TSO! (y)

20. RRAHx2

RRAHx2 Cleared for Takeoff

Fun read, thanks guys.