TSO Poll: Madden '12 Demo

Discussion in 'Madden NFL Football' started by Shaun Mason, Aug 9, 2011.

?

What do you think of the Madden Demo?

Poll closed Aug 16, 2011.
  1. Must Buy

22 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Buy Used

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. Must Rent

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. May Rent

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Why Bother

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  1. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Let's see what the TSO community thinks. How does the demo effect your plans for Madden '12?

2. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

I thought it was legit. Some minor flaws but I liked it better than NCAA demo

3. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    It actually went from a 'meh' to a 'must buy' for me today...

Emmdotfrisk Do we have to buy Madden?

4. Emmdotfrisk

yeah I was very impressed. I don't know haha

5. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

must buy for me.

6. RadarRider

RadarRider Montage!

Played the Demo, and there is a chance that I may skip out on Madden this year. The game looks beautiful, but It feels clunky to me...

7. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    I felt like it played and felt smoother than NCAA. At least demo to demo.

8. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Just played my second game (lost) and liking the slow speed a bit better. Although it still feels a bit quicker than NCAA - which perhaps it should - so its a considerable adjustment for me with the passing game.

9. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

I haven't bought Madden since the one that came out right before Halo 2.

I don't really care for Madden and am only purchasing it this year because a Browns player is on the cover. Had this not been the case, I would most likely not be purchasing this game and the demo would not have changed my opinion.

As much as I disliked the NCAA Demo (go back and read the demo impressions, I was salty) my dislike of Madden really just seems to be with the fundamentals of the game. For some reason, it just feels clunky (terrible word, but best way of describing it) to me. It looks worse than NCAA visually (imo - the bug eyes creep me out and the player models seem worse... it's a lot closer this year and the faces are cool, but something seems a little off). The game play feels more or less the same as it always has.

With how much stuff changed from the NCAA Demo -> Retail, I don't really want to bank too much on the demo... but the pass coverage is kind of garbage (like ncaa 11!). Every time I ran zone, a receiver was wide open, man coverage fixed that a bit though... the last game I played I completed ~90% of the passes... passing on every play... and all but one of the incompletions was a drop. The CPU pass defense sucks. Not a fan of the broadcast angles in between plays, but a lot of people like that and I am guessing they can be turned off like the 2k basketball game. Not real big on how you change stuff pre snap, although it's probably just from me being used to NCAA.

I probably won't own the game for a full cycle and I will enjoy the game for the purpose of fantasy draft/draft class exports/building a team with players I like (as that's gotten me close to buying a couple previous releases), but I doubt I will play online or really go in depth in a franchise mode.

I don't like the NFL as much as college football, and I don't like the gameplay of Madden as much as NCAA. This demo feels like every other version of Madden and if I had not already decided to get / paid for it already, this Demo would not have swayed me to purchase it in the least.

10. Emmdotfrisk

did you change the play difficulty? or did you leave it on default...which was Pro or in NCAA terms Varsity. I played on All-Madden and has the exact opposite experience.

11. Cutch 22

Cutch 22 Let's gooooooo

Must buy. Madden is for real this year.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

The demo really lacked atmosphere. I'm not sure if it was the lack of commentary that did it but the crowd seemed even quieter than NCAA and the intro scene was kinda unimpressive. That said the gameplay feels pretty similar to NCAA and a little bit better which makes up for it. Think I'm going to skip on it and stay with NCAA unless the retail impresses me.

13. Emmdotfrisk

Quite the wide range of reviews!

14. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Wait.. so they haven't implemented NCAA's zone defense changes?

15. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    They did, but the demo defaults to the Madden equivalent of Varsity (Pro)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

What is your preference, All-Pro or All-Madden?

17. Wick36

I was playing on the difficulty under All Madden - All Pro I think.

I'll have to give that a try.

18. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    This is basically how I feel. The demo was really boring for me without commentary. I know it won't be like that in the real game, but I can't really get into the demo without commentary.

Also, I'm like Killer on this one. I've just never liked how Madden plays. Always feels off to me compared to NCAA. I'm most likely picking the game up later used, to see what my draft classes look like from my ODs.

19. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

Hey Killer, did you try playing as the Bears? I am a Madden Fanboy SO I came in wanting to like the demo. But I shared your observation of super easy pass coverage while playing at the Packers. (All-Pro) But I switched to the Bears and have not beaten the Pack yet. GBs line decimates me, their DBs are righteous, and I get no time. Clay Matthews make a difference. He get to the QB better than other players. and FAST. As does peppers but the cast around peppers just doesn't seem as good. Bear Receivers are not open or even off the line. For the first time in forever having stud players will feel different I think than it has. Past madden versions have allowed better humans to dominate team regardless. (And I expect that to continue) But I really think that more than any other version human abilities will be tempered by the ratings and dynamic fluctuation of their players.

Really like the minimalistic gameplan menu. I hated gameplan becasue it was so clunky in '11. this time its actually worth using I think. Will need more time to mess with it. having the 3 options for every situation feels morel ike it should. while always having hte luxury to hit the full PB. Guess it will depend on wheteher or not I can use custom books in Online communities and stuff.

End of the day from reading here looks like the madden Demo at least satisfied the NFL game fans. but didn't really steal any NCAA guys. Sort of how the NCAA Demo was accepted by its fan base but guys like me who don't live and die CFB Were unimpressed.

20. Wick36

I played a game with the bears.

The Packers broke a couple big runs - I forgot to mention this in my above post, but the RB AI is nice, they find holes and do moves, but pass defense felt the same. With any of the lineman on any of the teams, I can get by the first lineman EVERY time. In NCAA at least, if I time it wrong my guy falls down or won't get past, but I think I can count the times I haven't gotten through on a pass rush in the couple of games I've played on Madden Demo on 1 hand.

In terms of playing offense as the bears... passing from under didn't really work. I tried some play action, but was sacked during or directly after the fake was done. With regular passes from under, people would not get touched and I'd get sacked. Going from shotgun, there was time and I could get receivers open, but Cutler's accuracy blows so a bunch of passes were missed that way.

But yeah, the people who really like Madden are probably happy with it, but I'm not that big on the series and this didn't change my view on the game at all. Maybe I was a little disappointed because of all the stuff about how good Madden would be this year, but it feels pretty much the same gameplay wise.

21. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

To me the game looks dark, kind of hard to explain, like the lighting is dark on the field or there are too much shadows.

22. Corey Haggard

Corey Haggard Walk On

I'll be buying it, and competeing in one online league if I find the right one, but as always the important football game is NCAA. I'll be playing NCAA 12 until NCAA 13 is released, where as Madden will get traded in eventually.

23. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

honestly i still don't know why folks who are usually smart and knowledgeable gamers still make decisions about purchasing a game based on a demo that ultimately has no real correlation to the final product.

aside from perhaps the menu system and graphic overlays (which are the first thing that becomes white noise anyway), there's really nothing meaningful in a demo that translates into the final product.

game play will be different. graphics will be different. the "feel" will be different. commentary will be different.

24. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Ill probably get it and hopefully grab a spot in a league here if possible. I miss Madden and a lot of the changes look good, especially the new league manager thing.

25. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

MY DEMO EXPERIENCE! LOVE IT!!!! EA EA EA !!!!​

• Like Like x 1