TSO Preview: Pitching

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by _MG_, Feb 19, 2011.

1. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Here I will be breaking down the divisions based on 3 criterias​
    1. Starting Pitching​
    2. Bullpen​
    3. Closer​
    Stay tuned...​

2. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    NL EAST
    Pitching Staff

1. Phillies
    Projected Rotation: Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Roy Oswalt, Cole Hamels, Joe Blanton
    Bullpen:Jose Contreras, Ryan Madsen, Jose Romero
    Closer: Brad Lidge

Analysis: Nothing much to say here, best rotation in baseball and arguably (depending on results) the best ever. I feel bad for the rest of the NL East! The bullpen is solid as former starter Jose Contreras has been a nice fit out of the pen. Ryan Madsen is one of the best setup men in baseball. Brad Lidge is the only question mark, but I think he is poised to have a come-back year.

2. Braves
    Projected Rotation: Tim Hudson, Derrek Lowe, Jair Jurrjens, Tommy Hanson, Brandon Beachy
    Bullpen: Johnny Venters, Peter Moylan, Eric O'Flaherty
    Closer: Craig Kimbrel

Analysis: This was a close call between the remaining teams (Mets, Marlins, Nationals) but I think the top of this rotation sets it apart. Hudson, Lowe, Jurrjens and Hanson are all solid pitchers.The bullpen is straght up nasty and the young closer Kimbrel showed he can be a force late last season.

3. Mets
    Projected Rotation: Johan Santana, Mike Pelfrey, Jon Niese, R.A. Dickey, Chris Young

Bullpen: Manny Acosta, Bobby Parnell, DJ Carrasco
    Closer: Francisco Rodriguez

Analysis: This is a classic case of a rotation that could be very good or very bad. Santana has been hot and cold in New York, and his injury problems are hard to ignore. We will see.The bullpen looks solid with the addition of DJ Carrasco. It will be interesting to watch how KRod responds to his recent legal issues.

4. Marlins
    Projected Rotation: Josh Johnson, Ricky Nolasco, Javier Vasquez, Anibel Sanchez, Chris Volstad
    Bullpen: Ryan Webb, Clay Hensley, Michael Dunn
    Closer: Leo Nunez

Analysis: As a whole this rotation is solid. However, it is top heavy. VERY, VERY top heavy. Josh Johnson is a legit ace and a star, but after him the rest of the rotation is filled with #4 and 5 starters.That bullpen looks very good. Webb, Hensley and Dunn all looked great at times last year and Nunez is a solid closer.

5. Nationals
    Projected Rotation: Stephen Strasberg, Livan Hernandez, Jason Marquis, Jordan Zimmerman, John Lannan
    Bullpen: Tyler Clippard, Sean Burnett, Doug Slaten
    Closer: Drew Storen
    Analysis: This rotation worries me. Strasberg is back, but his injury issues even considering how gentle the Nationals were with him last season scare me and every Nats fan to death. Add that to a very thin rotation where the aged Livan Hernandez is the #2 starter and you have the makings of a rough year pitching wise for the Nationals. On the bright side, the bullpen looks to be the strong suit. Clippard, Burnett and Slaten are all coming off good seasons and Drew Storen seems to be the future closer. Still, this seems to be the weakest pitching staff as a whole in the NL East.

3. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Great job man, love the list. Hard to argue with a few of these (*cough my Phillies cough*) but I think I'd rather have the Marlins' pitching staff than the Mets'. Keep it up, looking forward to the rest of the divisions.

4. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

Good work.. its almost unfair that the Phillies have that rotation.

5. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

makes me sick...​

nice analysis MG​

6. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Look out for Zimmerman to pitch very good games and he is coming back from surgery and has electric stuff. I agree with these in real life, but move the Nats to #2 in the game! :D hahaha

7. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    AL EAST coming up in about 10 minutes!

8. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    sorry something came up ill do the AL EAST and NL West later tonight

9. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    AL EAST
    1. Red Sox
    Projected Rotation: Josh Beckett, Jon Lester, John Lackey, Clay Buchholz, Dice K
    Bullpen: Daniel Bard, Bobby Jenks, Tim Wakefield
    Closer: Jonathon Papelbon
    Analysis: Rotation, if it stays healthy, will be very solid. Buchholz might be the most underrated pitcher in the majors and Dice K being a 5th starter just shows the potential depth in the rotation. Bullpen looks a little weak besides Bard. Jonathon Papelbon has his struggles but for the most part is a great big-game closer.
    2. Yankees
    Projected Rotaton: C.C. Sabathia, Phil Hughes, AJ Burnett, Sergio Mitre, Ivan Nova

Bullpen: Rafael Soriano, David Robertson, Joba Chamberlain

Closer: Mariano Rivera

Analysis: Rotation is solid 1-2-3, but Serio Mitre? Really? They need Mitre and the young gun Ivan Nova to give them some solid innings in the tough AL East. Bullpen, as always, is solidifed by having an all-time great closer in Mariano Rivera.

3. Rays
    Projected Rotation: David Price, James Shields, Jeff Niemann, Wade Davis, Jeremy Hellickson

Bullpen: J.P. Howell, Joel Peralta, Andy Sonnanstine

Closer: Kyle Farnsworth
    Analysis: Young rotation that looks to continue progressing led by hot shot David Price. The bullpen is pretty questionable with no clear closer (Farnsworth is in the lead right now). Against offensive juggernauts like the Red Sox and Yankees, the Rays pen will have to be sorted out quickly.

10. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

good stuff but I think the Rays even after losing Garza have a better staff then the Yankees. After Sabathia the Yankees have a bunch of unknowns specially with Pettite retiring.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

Agreed the Phillies have an absolutely filthy pitching staff...

12. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Agreed. I think the BoSox are the only ones in the East who have a "solid" rotation. This, of course, is not based on user controlled players and stats.

13. RedAL925

RedAL925 TSL Commissioner

IF the Rays' youngsters live up to the hype they're clearly better than the Yankees....but the Rays' have to completely restructure their AL-leading bullpen, and the Yankees still have Mo

14. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    NL West
    1. Giants
    Projected Rotation: Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain, Jonathan Sanchez, Madison Bumgarner, Barry Zito

Bullpen: Jeremy Affeldt, Sergio Romo, Santiago Casilla

Closer: Brian Wilson

Analysis: World champs have the arms to carry the weak bats. Nasty rotation, nasty bullpen and a crazy man to close. These guys are good.

2. Dodgers
    Projected Rotation: Clayton Kershaw, Chad Billingsley. Ted Lilly, Hiroki Kuroda, Jon Garland

Bullpen: Vicente Padilla, Hong-Chih Kuo, Matt Guerrier

Closer: Jonathan Broxton
    Analysis: Very strong rotation. Kershaw has a bright future and adding Jon Garland will help. Padilla is projected to slide into the bullpen where I think he will be servicable. Broxton is a big man with a big arm. Overall solid staff.

3. Rockies
    Projected Rotation: Ubaldo Jimenez, Jose De La Rosa, Aaron Cook, Jhoulys Chacin, Jason Hammel

Bullpen: Matt Belisle, Rafael Betancourt, Matt Lindstrom

Closer: Houston Street
    Analysis: Rotation behind Jimenez s all question marks but young Jhoulys Chacin is going to be a good one. Bullpen is average, but I really like Lindstrom in the 8th and Street n the 9th.

15. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    Yep, I am going a as a whole. Not just rotation...and Mariano Rivera is a very big plus to any pitching staff.

16. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

Good job that's probably where I would rank each of them too.

17. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    AL West
    1. Athletics
    Rotation: Dallas Braden, Brett Anderson, Gio Gonzalez, Trevor Cahill, Rich Harden
    Bullpen: Brian Fuentes, Grant Balfour, Michael Wuertz
    Closer: Andrew Bailey
    Analysis: Might be controversial, but I think with the loss of Cliff Lee the Oakland A's have taken over the #1 spot as far as pitching in the AL West. That bullpen looks stacked, Andrew Bailey is filthy and the rotation is only going to get better. If Rich Harden stays healthy he can give them a boost.
    2. Rangers
    Rotation: CJ Wilson, Colby Lewis, Brandon Webb, Tommy Hunter, Neftali Feliz
    Bullpen: Darren Oliver, Arthur Rhodes, Darren O'Day
    Closer: Alexi Ogando
    Analysis: Starters are good but who knows what they will get from Brandon Webb and how Neftali Feliz will do in the starting rotation. Bullpen has a few old guys, and you never know when they might break down. Overall they have the potential to be good but there are more question marks than the A's.

18. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

I'm going to make Sergio Mitre look like Cy Young. Lol....

MG, hell of a job my man. This is great stuff![​IMG]

19. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    NL Central
    1. Cardinals
    Projected Rotation: Chris Carpenter, Adam Wainwright, Jaime Garcia, Jake Westbrook, Kyle Lohse
    Bullpen: Jason Motte, Trever Miller, Kyle McClellan
    Closer: Ryan Franklin
    Analysis: Despite a few bullpen questions,, this staff is the best in the NL Central. Chris Carpenter and Adam Wainwright are perennial Cy Young contenders and Jaime Garcia had a spectacular rookie season last year. Jake Westbrook and Kyle Lohse are extremely solid back of the rotation guys. If Ryan Franklin struggles look for Kyle McClellan to take over the closer role some time this season.
    2. Brewers
    Projected Rotation: Zach Grienke, Yovani Gallardo, Shaun Marcum, Randy Wolf, Chris Narveson
    Bullpen: LaTroy Hawkins, Takashi Saito, Zach Braddock
    Closer: John Axford
    Analysis: With the addition of former Cy Young winner Zach Grienke along with Shaun Marcum, this rotation is much improved. Don't dwell too much on Grienke and Marcum's era last year as they should drop now that they are in the national league. Yovani Gallardo took a step back last year, so the Brewers need him to improve this year. Bullpen looks ok and John Axford looked great at times as a closer last year, so this pitching staff should be much better than they were last year.
    3. Cubs
    Projected Rotation: Carlos Zambrano, Matt Garza, Ryan Dempster, Andrew Cashner, Carlos Silva
    Bullpen: Kerry Wood, Sean Marshall, Scott Maine
    Closer: Carlos Marmol
    Analysis: Cubs upgraded the rotation with the addition of former ALCS MVP Matt Garza this offseason, and his transition from the AL East to the NL Central should be favorable. The 1-2-3 of Zambran/Garza/Dempster is very solid and the bullpen should be much better with Kerry Wood's return to Wrigleyville, but the main concern for the Cubs is how young Andrew Cashner does in the rotation. Carlos Marmol is the best strikeout pitcher in baseball.
    4. Reds
    Projected Rotation: Johnny Cueto, Edison Volquez, Bronson Arroyo, Travis Wood, Mike Leake
    Bullpen: Aroldis Chapman, Nick Masset, Logan Ondrusek
    Closer: Francisco Cordero
    Analysis: Francisco Cordero seems to be on the back end of his career. Cueto and Arroyo had solid years last year, but Edison Volquez hasn't been dominant since 2008.. Travis Wood looks promising and Mike Leake is young, but overall this rotation just doesn't do it for me. The bullpen is solid and phenom Aroldis Chapman is going to be amazing to watch. Wouldn't be surprised if he was the closer for the Reds by the end of the year.

20. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

Good rankings. Think Cubs and Brewers are really close at 2 and 3.

21. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    cubs have a better bullpen than the brewers but I think greinke slightly pushes them over the cubs. cubs have decent pitching this year, they just need to hit.

22. Maximus21

Maximus21 BCS Chaos - Syracuse

Very good analysis.

I'm amazed at how different the Rays bullpen is in just one year. If Howell comes back healthy I'd use him as the closer. He had very good seasons in 08 and 09, managing to pick up 17 saves in 09.

23. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Great job MG, Rockies are going to be rocky in the bullpen....its going to hurt when I face the Dodgers.

24. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

**oops didnt get a team

25. Maximus21

Maximus21 BCS Chaos - Syracuse

People are bound to drop as the season goes along so just get on the wait list.