TSO State of the Leagues Address '11

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by Drifterbub, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    State of the Leagues Address - ALL READ

As many of you know, we will be expanding on the premier system for the launch of the '11 game line. With this move have come many changes and I just wanted to take the time right now and address a few issues that have been coming up.

Premier Leagues:

As the community grows and we add more and more qualified league members, we will need to expand the number of premier leagues accordingly. However, this isn't a simple equation of supply and demand. Leagues will be elevated to the premier level at the discretion of the management after certain criteria is met. League activity, leadership, content, member base, setup, organization and history are just a few things that are considered. We are developing an application process for leagues to apply for premier status so that we can have leagues in waiting, ready to relegate if the need arises.

The definition of a premier league is:

The idea was to create a 'two-tier' system that accomplishes a few things:

* Reward dedicated members
    * Develop a placement system for new members
    * Encourage people to actively participate and meet league requirements by providing incentives
    * Create an environment for new members to play with veterans and increase the continuity of our league as a whole

Spots in premier leagues are only to be awarded to active, proven members who have contributed to help make this community what it is. This idea first came about when we realized the huge difference in activity, participation, content and general league involvement when all 12 members were able to devote priority and the majority of their attention to one league. We also noticed that most members in these leagues generally had little to no interest in being involved with other leagues as the current league they were in was so active and deep that it provided more of an experience than they had time for. These were the same people who used to be in three or four leagues to get the same type of activity. With the new adaptations of the game, it has become less time consuming to achieve the level of involvement a member may require, so we removed the provision that restricted everyone to only one premier league, allowing members to take on as much as they could handle.

A large advantage to this system from a management point-of-view was the ability to allocate resources where they needed to be, with established and extremely active leagues. It provided a model for new leagues to be structured under. We form every league here at TF with the idea that one day that league will be a premier league. If you notice, most of the new leagues we form have experienced commissioners and typically one or two veterans of the site mixed in with the majority being new members. This is something we do intentionally to help solidify newly formed leagues and give the new members an example on how to conduct themselves within the community.

Premier League Spots:

It should be pointed out that just because you pay the $12 subscription to become a premier member, doesn't guarantee you a spot in a premier league. Although, you will have all the perks of becoming a premier member, roster spots in premier leagues still have to be earned. We encourage everyone to play in the non-premier level leagues in order to prove yourself not only as a worthy league-mate, but as an active contributor to the community as a whole.

Signatures:

At the last management meeting, we decided that we would not be allowing graphical signatures for non-premier members. We know, this sucks but there are a few reasons we did this. One of the reasons was to keep the site clean, some of you are talented with graphics and some of you are not. We want to maintain a clean look to the forums without giant images consisting of collages of poorly parsed images and text. Another reason we decided to go this route is to control the bandwidth usage. This is part of becoming a premier member as you have now paid to use the bandwidth that is allocated to loading the graphics in every thread. We are approaching 100 lifetime members and we must make sure we keep the site solvent for the long term so that these members realize the investment they have made. Part of that is keeping server costs as controlled as possible and thus the need to monitor our bandwidth.

For premier members, you will only be allowed to have your official TF sigs in your signatures. This was done for the same reasons as above. We will do our best to accommodate the signature demand and make sure everyone has one. If you are one who likes to switch teams a lot, prepared to wait a long time for updated signatures. Everyone will be issued a signature for your starting team, but just because you want to switch teams every season doesn't mean that someone has to labor on photoshop to keep you happy. Just a fair warning now.

We realize that this rule will likely be an unpopular one, but at least we hope you might see the logic behind it. We can always change this in the future, but for now, we feel that this is the direction we must go. It should be noted that other sites (who are larger with more resources) charge money or don't allow sigs and avatars all together.

NCAA Rule set:

A lot of people have been asking about how we will address certain features for the launch of NCAA '11. This will likely be a repetitive cycle with the launch of every game as we will have to evaluate the fairness and realism of every feature for the community. Rest assured that the gears have already been set in motion and the commissioner team has already formed a gameplan for tackling a new rule set. We expect to take a week or so to get a good feel for the new features and then issue a preliminary rule set. Within the next couple of weeks after the launch we should be able to collect ample feedback and experiences in order to set a concrete ruleset, such as we have now. We also expect to start splitting the ruleset up between the Madden and NCAA series if the gameplay continues to diverge.

Wordpress Front-end:

As most of you know, we use a WordPress front-end for content management for the site. We will be offering training for this to teach people how to post blogs and information about their leagues and teams. We hope to get an instructional video and a how-to writeup on posting articles. It's your responsibility to learn how to utilize WordPress so that you do not cause more work for management by mis-categorizing posts or messing up someone else's blog. Even as a premier member this is a privilege that can be taken away if you continually show your not capable of doing it correctly (btw, it's real simple, so i don't expect there to be alot of issues).

Profile Awards:

For those who are waiting on the foundation membership awards and contributor awards, don't worry, they will be coming. We are working on getting everything organized. We have decided to clear the award system for the '11 launch. We will be setting up a new process for requesting awards, so look out for that. Only the gaming awards (Conference championships, Heisman Trophies, etc) will be reset. The awards for contributors, sportsmanship and the like will remain on your profile.

Forum Clean-up:

We will be moving some of the leagues around in a bit. Moving the premier leagues to the top and renaming a few of the leagues are apart of all of that. So, expect that to happen in the somewhat near future.

If you have any questions, please feel free to post.

2. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Wish you would have decided that rule after Masler had spent all the time creating sigs for every member lol

Shouldn't lifetime members be able to put what they want in their siggy? 100kb siggy pry takes less than 1 cent of your bandwidth

3. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I just have one:

What about the gamer profile banner that some of us use. Is that allowed or no?

4. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

That is a negative ghost rider

5. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Not currently. But Shaun is looking into what load they might cause. Will get back to you on that one.

6. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I know. We realize that people have spent some time on signatures and the timing is probably bad. Unfortunately (and this isn't really directed at Masler), all of the sigs being created is what brought this to our attention. The bandwidth load is something we have been monitoring closely for a long time now (long before we made the decision to move to a more expensive, dedicated server).

As for your question about lifetime members, not at the moment. We are going to limit it to only official sigs and monitor it accordingly. It's a possibility for the future.

7. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Wasn't the signature for premier leagues only mentioned when ryno initially started the subscription discussions months ago? I don't think this rule is really new, merely clarifying something that a ton of people didn't catch initially.

I could be wrong, it definitely wouldn't be the first or last time.

8. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

How much bandwidth are we using a month?

9. Iron Mickey

Yes sir, you are correct.

10. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

I'm fine with the Premier league only sig thing...just one question...

Say we are in a non premier league as well or a member is not in a premier league, but is in another can we have text sigs in place...something like..

INSERT SATURDAY HEROES PREMIER SIG HERE
    BfR (S1): Oregon St (10-0)
    OD #2 (S1): Villanova (3-7)

PSN: Cimmy 24
    AIM:Cimmy3453

11. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

That's the way I understood it as well.

12. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Yes, text will be allowed. However, abusing text by making it giant or otherwise distracting will render your signature permissions obsolete. Not saying you would in particular, but just because it's text doesn't make it excusable for making it look obnoxious.

13. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

That is completely understandable...I would keep it just like that with info from other ODs and contact info. Thanks man.

14. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Read and I am fine with everything.

15. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

If your a premiere member can u have Sigs for non-premiere leagues as long as one of you guys make them so they are official?

16. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

Is there a thread that'll give me the hard sell on becoming a member? All I know is you can have a sig, have profile awards (want) and possibly get into a premiere league. What are the perks of being in a premiere league? Can you give us a link to that thread? I spent more than $12 on lunch so I'm probably gonna get it anyway but I'm just wondering what will change.

17. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Dylan, all the info is in the 'TF Membership' forum.

18. Iron Mickey

Hey, is that Rudy in your sig?

Rudy!!......Rudy!!.....Rudy!!!

19. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

I think the only sigs that are allowed are the Premier league ones.

20. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

ya i was thinking that, but it doesnt say that, it just says you have to have Official TF sigs.

Yup Thats Rudy alright, JerzeyReign made these Sigs for Chaos, there Pretty Sweet. I think there trying to get BCS Chaos in to Premier Status

21. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

You guys should think about putting that into a pitch, imo. Also, is there a chat box?

22. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Well son of a bitch....

I wish I would have known this before I spent the time I did on the sigs I created...

(sigh)

23. bfruchey

bfruchey Walk On

I didn't see it in the membership info, but it would be sweet if those with memberships got preference to joining leagues over those without. Not trying to stir the pot, but I would be much more apt to be a member if it helped me get into another league.

24. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Being a premier member also will give you access to the upcoming chatbox, as well as access to the rankings systems and Annual TF tournaments held on the site. If you have not read through the membership forum yet, I would encourage you to do so..

And FYI.. The winner of each rankings ladder will earn a very worthwhile surprise..

We will only be making official TF sigs for Premier Leagues. We understand that there are a few subscribed members out there who still do not have a premier league, but rest assured, as you guys continue to prove yourselves in the free leagues, the better shot you have at getting a new premier league opened..

We have left it up to the discretion of every commish (Premier and Non-Premier) to choose their own rosters. The only exemption to this are a few of the leagues (Maslers, RunThePounds, and Cimmys), where we asked to fill as many spots as possible with all of the new apps that have been flooding the site lately..

25. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

See above post

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.