TTCC Week 2: Nurburgring Grand Prix - 10:00 PM EST 10/31/2011

Discussion in 'Tradition Racing' started by Hellisan, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

TTCC Week 2 - Nurburgring Grand Prix - 20 LAPS
    [​IMG]

Track Preview
    A big thanks as usual goes to JMS for taking time out of his day to record and put up this video.

[​IMG]

I hate to make generalizations but to me - at least in Forza... This is one of those tracks where the racing line mostly has it right - It's up to the driver to get the braking and turning inputs as perfect as they can. I think of most of this course as a luge circuit. There's not really that many places to go, it's rare to even see two cars abreast (though Del and I proved this can be done...haha).

The track starts out with a nice long straight. As you make the first hairpin turn into the Mercdes Arena you enter one of only two places on the track that I think are all that technical. The Mercedes Arena is presumably called because from the Mercedes-named stands in that area, viewers have a real eyeful of the first few turns. There are many ways to traverse these first few corners and not necessarily one "right" way. That will depend on who is around you at the moment, what kind of car you have and what its capable of, etc.

If I'm hot lapping, the first corner is generally taken by braking early on the left side of the straight, then turning hard across the inside of the corner and (hopefully) accelerating out as soon as possible. Then you want to try and take those first few corners with rhythm. Again, exactly where and how is best depends on the car. I do recommend staying on the inside of the corner all the way through turn 3 if possible... This sets up an easier right-hander onto the mini straight that follows.

From there, you're usually following the race line right until that last corner, which again is a corner that has a lot of ways you could go. Practice the correct application of the brakes (you don't want to jam them). Turn on the race line if you're not sure where you should be going... If you have a real wheel drive car, it is important on corner exit to aim for one car inside of where you want to end up, because the car will step out sometimes and require a quick correction. For me this is key for my car and this track. I know the rear end is going to want to step out so as you will see in the highlight that JMS did for me, I know that and aim accordingly then make the same quick counter-steer maneuver and throttle adjustment just about every time to get the car moving forward again.

WEEK 2 PI Ratings
    Tune your car to these PI restrictions for week 2

*Note, this week's start is later than usual because some on the west coast will be finishing up with Halloween If there are a lot of people that can't make it, we can reschedule or something.

[​IMG]

Fine Tuning Notes

*Usually to get the car +/- 10 points you just need to stick a part or two on the engine (or vice versa). If your car can't get above 650 for some reason let me know... You might have to do an engine swap or something else to get it there.

*If it's close, things to look at are the wheels (find something a couple pounds lighter or heavier than what you're running, or wheel size, or also the driveshaft which no longer has to be race... That adds or subtracts around 1 PI at at time to really give you some options to dial it in. Also the flywheel is another upgrade in the engine that can get you up or down 1-2 PI and is useful if you can fit it.

2. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

So what are some good lap times on this one? My first crack at the new car on this track had me around 2:19. The car has a long way to go as it's riding very rough. And that first turn is an absolute monster!

3. Ca$ino

Ca$ino You're Killing Me Smalls

hope i will be done with getting candy by this time. last year we were out til like 10pm PST.

4. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Hellisan

I can stay at 650 if need be since I didn't race last week.

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

??? jesus... Let me know if you are gonna miss it no matter what I do, because then I'll move the race to 10 PM EST.

Thanks.

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

It's o.k. man. Wasn't your fault.

7. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    I'm gonna have to put in a ton of laps here. Not comfortable at all. Barely breaking 2:10 so far.

8. DirtyDawg73

DirtyDawg73 Walk On

My Starion really, really dislikes this track. Between this, testing for the multi-class series on RR, and practicing for the endurance races on FSCS, I think my Fanatec is going to rip my arms off...

9. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I look forward to practicing this weekend. I have an non busy weekend which is sweet and rare!

10. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Hellisan - are those PI indexes optional? Say I didn't want to go up to 660, is that allowed? I feel like last week was a bad indication of my potential as a lap 3 crash hindered my finishing slot.

11. DelZaster

DelZaster Walk On

Hey J if your giving 10 pi away il take em lmao

12. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

1,000,000 credits and its yours...:cool:

13. DelZaster

DelZaster Walk On

14. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

I'm MORE terrible than normal on this track. Ouch, ouch, ouch.

15. DirtyDawg73

DirtyDawg73 Walk On

I'll keep you company at the back. Just give me plenty of room when I make my way back on track. lol.

16. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    I think I'm going to try a 6 gear box this week.

17. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Nah they're not optional but if you do well it will go back down.

18. IXI DECAY IXI

IXI DECAY IXI Walk On

I will be available at that time on Monday for sure if you need a last minute driver.

19. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

20. Ca$ino

Ca$ino You're Killing Me Smalls

Go ahead and run it at 10. If I make it I make it

21. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Seriously.....fuck you Hellisan with your 2:04........fuck you

I must be doing something horribly wrong b/c I am running consistent 2:10s with the occasional 2:09:eek:

• Like Like x 2
  22. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Track Preview
    A big thanks as usual goes to JMS for taking time out of his day to record and put up this video.

[​IMG]

I hate to make generalizations but to me - at least in Forza... This is one of those tracks where the racing line mostly has it right - It's up to the driver to get the braking and turning inputs as perfect as they can. I think of most of this course as a luge circuit. There's not really that many places to go, it's rare to even see two cars abreast (though DelZaster and I proved this can be done...haha).

The track starts out with a nice long straight. As you make the first hairpin turn into the Mercdes Arena you enter one of only two places on the track that I think are all that technical. The Mercedes Arena is presumably called because from the Mercedes-named stands in that area, viewers have a real eyeful of the first few turns. There are many ways to traverse these first few corners and not necessarily one "right" way. That will depend on who is around you at the moment, what kind of car you have and what its capable of, etc.

If I'm hot lapping, the first corner is generally taken by braking early on the left side of the straight, then turning hard across the inside of the corner and (hopefully) accelerating out as soon as possible. Then you want to try and take those first few corners with rhythm. Again, exactly where and how is best depends on the car. I do recommend staying on the inside of the corner all the way through turn 3 if possible... This sets up an easier right-hander onto the mini straight that follows.

From there, you're usually following the race line right until that last corner, which again is a corner that has a lot of ways you could go. Practice the correct application of the brakes (you don't want to jam them). Turn on the race line if you're not sure where you should be going... If you have a rear wheel drive car, it is important on corner exit to aim for one car inside of where you want to end up, because the car will step out sometimes and require a quick correction. For me this is key for my car and this track. I know the rear end is going to want to step out so as you will see in the highlight that JMS did for me, I know that and aim accordingly then make the same quick counter-steer maneuver and throttle adjustment just about every time to get the car moving forward again.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Noted. Race will be at normal time. 10 PM EST, everybody.

24. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

2:04! Crap my best after 3 days of practice has been 2:16.

25. cnic75

cnic75 The Legacy

My best is 2:12 so you can hang out in the back with me.