TTII Season Preview - 2009-2010

Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by Drifterbub, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    TTII Season Preview - 2009-2010

Big XII West Big XII East
    - Arizona + Texas A&M (Drifter)
    + USC (Flo) - Texas
    + UCLA (OMLawdog) + Missouri (Khaalis)
    + Oregon (Bogey) + Nebraska (Muttcope)
    - Oregon State - Oklahoma
    - Cal - LSU

SEC West SEC East
    +Florida (Hoosier) + Va Tech (Sanders)
    -Florida State + Virginia (JrRawlins)
    -Miami - Pittsburg
    -Alabama + Penn State (Graves)
    +Georgia (BBJ) - Clemson
    +Georgia Tech (Bondzai) - South Carolina

Let's see them:

Texas A&M

Texas A&M's schedule this year is brutal. Likely to be outmatched at several positions on a weekly basis, the Aggies will have to battle. Don't worry, they should be used to it by now. Coming off a season with no division victories and very few highpoints, expect the Aggies to have their backs against the wall from week 1.

Offense: Jr QB Jerod Johnson showed flashes of the threat he could become in his first year as a starting QB last year. His arm is fantastic and he can make things happen when a play breaks down. QB/WR So Ryan Tannehill is stellar athlete who broke the freshmen mark for TD receptions in a season last year. He lines up next to So WR Jeff Fuller, the best pro-prospect on the roster. Fuller is 6'4'' and is a polished route runner and sturdy possesion player for his age. The ground game is reigned by So HB Cyrus Gray, a versatile home-run threat who can run inside and outside the tackles as well as return kicks. True frosh Christine Michael PS #5 will see some carries and is good in space.
    What to watch out for: A more balanced attack than previous installements of A&Ms offense. A true pro-style system that will utilize every skilled position on the field.
    Best Players: So WR Jeff Fuller, So QB/WR Ryan Tannehill, So HB Cyrus Gray
    Breakout Player of the Year: Sr TE Jamie McCoy

Defense: Jr DE/LB Von Miller is such a freak athlete, A&M has developed a new position on the field for him, the "Jack". Call it what you want, Miller will be all over the field. Look for him to apply significant pressure in passing situations and stretch running plays to the oustide. JUCO transfer CB Cordell Judie gives some much needed depth to a very young secondary. So FS Trent Hunter showed what he could potentially do on a regular basis towards the end of last season as he racked up two Big XII freshmen of the week honors. So CB Terrance Frederick will battle for a starting spot on one side of the secondary while Judie looks to grasp the other.
    What to Watch out for: Any difference. A&M's defense gave up tons of yards through the air and their run defense was below average. It can't get any worse. With the rise of new, young talent on this side of the ball, look for bigger plays from a secondary who has been taken advatange of in seasons past.
    Best Players: Jr DE/LB Von Miller, So FS Trent Hunter, Sr SS Jordan Pugh
    Breakout Player of the Year: So CB Terrance Frederick

2. Muttcope

Muttcope 2 Own Goals and Counting

From my Thread in the Game Results

3. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    That's good stuff Mutt.

4. OMlawdog

OMlawdog Going full Cheeze

The UCLA bruins will be rebuilding in 2009, with the focus on the running game and short passes to the small number of playmakers that UCLA has on its roster.

On Defense, the defensive players are not fast, but they make up for it by being very small.

Basically the one strength of UCLA is a solid offensive line and two good TE's. Look for a lot of two TE looks this season from UCLA.

Just trying to get to a bowl and keep USC from landing every top player in CA.

5. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

Missouri Tigers

Missouri is looking to jump out the gate early when the season starts. With QB Chase Daniels, WR Jeremy Maclin & DT Ziggy Hood all going pro, look for some fresh faces coming to the season to make an impact. Here is a look at the offensive & defenseive side of the ball:

Offense: QB Blaine Gabbert comes in as the starter for the Tigers. At 6'5 226lbs, he is not very mobile, but has a rocket for an arm & good accurracy. Only a sophmore he still has time to get better. JR HB Derrick Washington is the starting running back. With great speed & elusiveness he should be a threat against anyone. The WRs have some great talent. SR WR Jared Perry is the captain & is one of the fastest WRs on the team. JR WR Laronderick Thomas will play the number 2 spot & some KR & PR. We also have the FR WES Kemp at the slot position. At 6'4 226lbs he should be a threat in the red zone.

What to watch for: Missouri runs the spread offense. Over a 150 plays are from shotgun. Looks for a very good passing attack & then establishing the running game

Best Players: QB Blaine Gabbert, HB Derrick Washington & WR Jared Perry

Breakout Player of the year: SO TE Andrew Jones

Defense: This defense is lead by SR LOLB Sean Witherspoon. Look for Witherspoon to show why he should be one of the top LB drafted next year. JR CB Carl Gettis will be matched up against teams best WR. He is only 5'11, but he has tremendous speed & jumping ability. In surprising move Missouri will start FR FS Kenji Jackson. He will be on a very short leash. If he can't produce look for Missouri to go back to SR FS Del Howard.

What to watch for: The DLINE tying up the OLINE so we can free up LOLB Sean Witherspoon.

Best Players: SR LOLB Sean Witherspoon

Breakout Player: SO RE George White

6. JrRawlins

JrRawlins People hate me cause they aint me...

[​IMG]

Returning Leaders for the Cavs:
    Rushing: Mikell Simpson, RB, 262 yards
    Passing: Marc Verica, QB, 2,037 yards
    Tackles: Vic Hall, CB, 59
    Interceptions: Ras-I Dowling, CB, 3 ​

Virginia's Offense:
    Marc Verica will start under center to open the season as Sowell is simply too inacccurate and careless with the ball to be a starter at this point of his career. At Tailback, Mikell Simpson returns from injury to take the reins and try to finish his career with a bang.....Receivers: Out with the old and in with the new. Last year’s top five pass-catchers have moved on, forcing the offense into an unmistakable youth movement. The leading returning receiver, 6-2, 178-pound sophomore Jared Green, could also be this season’s leading receiver. The program is thrilled to have access to 5-11, 180-pound Javaris Brown, who sat out his first year as a redshirt. The program’s string of next-level tight ends is expected to continue with 6-6, 255-pound junior Joe Torchia. Although a shoulder injury and a glut of talented upperclassmen have kept him quiet, that could be about to change this fall. He has the right frame and the good hands to excel as a blocker and receiver on intermediate routes.

Virginia 's Defense:
    Cornerback Ras-I Dowling is probably the best player on the team and fellow corner Vic Hall is the team’s leading returning tackler. Even sophomore safety Corey Mosley showed signs of brilliance as a freshman. The problem on defense is the linebackers. Junior Denzel Burrell is the lone returning starter and he will have to emerge as the leader of the unit while the coaching staff figures out who to plug in around him.This is going to be a marginal group of linebackers that has to step up big-time. There’s a lack of star power and a decided slant toward seniors, who’ve struggled to crack the lineup for a reason. In a best case scenario, Johnson, Schautz, and some of the other kids will get enough snaps to feel excited about 2010.

Players to watch out for
    Defensively: CB Vic Hall, he can make the secondary elite or barely average......
    Offensively: its all about Verica... if he is poised and accurate the Hoos can play with anyone..... if not.(n)

7. HoosierHoo

HoosierHoo Walk On

Florida Gators

After winning the MNC two of the last three seasons, expectations could not be much higher in Gainesville. The Gators enter the season as the preseason #1, and will be led by QB Tim Tebow, who will look to recapture the Heisman Trophy he yielded to Sam Bradford last season. Tempering expectations is a tough schedule in the newly redesigned SEC and some poor preseason performances.

Offense
    Simply put, the Gators feature the most consistently dangerous offensive weapon in the college game in Tebow. He will key both the running and passing attacks. Florida features plenty of speed at halfback, led by sophomores Jeffrey Demps and Chris Rainey. Sophomore Deonte Thompson provides the home run threat for the receiving corps, while senior WRs Riley Cooper and David Nelson and junior TE Aaron Hernandez will give Tebow ample targets to keep the chains moving. The offensive line is solid, and is anchored by the Pouncey brothers in the interior.
    The biggest question mark for the offense heading into the season is how they will make up for the loss of All American wideout Percy Harvin. The Gators also lack a power back to balance out the speed of Demps.

Defense

The Gators return virtually every key player from last year's national championship defense. The pass rush will be provided by junior Carlos Dunlap. The linebacker corps will be anchored by the best MLB in college football, senior Brandon Spikes. The secondary is a strength as well, led by CBs Joe Haden and Janoris Jenkins and FS Major Wright.

8. Flo308

Flo308 "Ocean Front Property"

What to watch for on offense: The offensive line. Yeah, it’s rough to focus on interior linemen, when Damian Williams, Stafon Johnson, C.J. Gable and Joe McKnight are on the playground, but these Trojans are worth the discipline. If you like dominant, athletic front walls, then USC is going to grab your eye throughout the year. This group has it all, which is going to make everyone, including the new quarterback Aaron Corp, more effective. The Trojans have tons of experience, anchors at center and left tackle, and as many as six or seven members of the two-deep. It too often gets overlooked, but the line will be the catalyst for a lot of USC’s success in 2009.

What to watch for on defense: The new linebackers. Brian Cushing, Rey Maualuga, and Kaluka Maiava were all drafted by the NFL in April. Sure, it would’ve been nice if even one veteran was back at the position, but there’s no stopping progress. Or the next wave of stars about to populate the depth chart. Chris Galippo, Malcolm Smith, and Michael Morgan are next in line, and have just as good a chance to follow their predecessors into the pros. The newcomers won’t be as prolific, at least not right away, but they will be faster and potentially more

9. JrRawlins

if either of you lose a game you should shoot yourselves in the face....(y)

10. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Everyone should finish writing these and get them up on the website.

Ryno wrote a tutorial and it's really easy. Those who have already written them have already done the hard part.

11. HoosierHoo

HoosierHoo Walk On

Uhoh...We play each other though...Someone is getting their face shot off. (n)

12. HoosierHoo

HoosierHoo Walk On

Also, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I'm gonna lose MULTIPLE games this year. I'm just not a fan of Florida's playbook. I don't feel like they have good options for converting those must have third and short-to-mediums that are so important in user games...

13. JrRawlins

my inital reaction.....
    [​IMG]

my secondary reaction with comments.....
    [​IMG]

nice try at masking some of the pressure.... but i aint fallin for it..... you picked the best team in the game....and its not even close..... if you lose to Flo i suppose that is acceptable, everyone else should get beat by 20.... at least.....(y)

14. HoosierHoo

HoosierHoo Walk On

Speaking of which, am I allowed to switch my offensive playbook? I'd stick with a spread offense, but probably pick something that had at least a FEW non-shotgun formations. (Oregon maybe?) I'd obviously let Khaalis know my selection in advance of our game and stick with whatever I picked for the duration of the season...