TTU: Fighting To Be Kings of Texas

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by egofailure, Aug 29, 2010.

1. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

TTU: Fighting To Be Kings of Texas

<NM>

2. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Raiders Cage Tigers, Tough Out Win

Sheffield struggles, but defense and special teams get the job done.

Okay, so Steven Sheffield isn't exactly Taylor Potts. Deep down, we knew that already though, didn't we? If not, reality was made clear yesterday, as the inexperienced Senior QB struggled to find his rythem despite Coach David's insistance on lettin' it rip. Fortunately for the Red Raiders, the young and vibrant head coach also believes strongly in defense and special teams.

Senior kicker Matt Williams accounted for more than half of TTU's offense Saturday, kicking four field goals, one being of 45 yards before the end of the first half. Who said kickers aren't football players? "(Laughs) I hear that all the time," Williams said shortly after the game. "But today I think I earned my uniform. My family my actually know that I'm on the team."

As for the Red Raider defense, they bent at times, but would not break. While holding the Missouri to only 55 yards on the ground, they managed to hold the Tigers to 10 points due mostly to their toughness in the redzone. In three appearances, the Mizzou reached pay-dirt only once, and this occured after Senior CB Laron Moore dropped a sure-fire interception in the endzone.

Texas Tech improved to an impressive 7-2 on the season, but have no time to celebrate. The Red Raiders are set to face an extremely talented Oklahoma team coming off their first loss of the season. Is Sheffield ready? Can the TTU defense bring forth another Grade-A effort? Here's my prediction: They better, because Matt Williams won't be able to win this one alone.