Tulane Upsets #15 Houston!

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by TJM, Aug 27, 2011.

1. TJM

TJM Walk On

Edit: My bad, thought this was being posted in the Game Summaries thread. Please move it to the appropriate place if possible. Thanks.

Tulane came out confident against a talented #15 Houston squad and defeated them 42-21 on Houstons turf. The game plan was to put constant pressure on the QBs to force them to make mistakes. Mistakes they made, with Houston throwing for 3 INTs in the game and also losing their star QB to a user hit stick in the second - Daniel Tateman who is atop the league with 3301 yards passing, 9 INTs, and 25 TDs.

Tateman ended up 5 of 13 with 1 TD and 2 INTs for 173 yards, he was sacked 4 times by the young but talented Tulane defensive line. Backup Houston QB Terrance Broadway played about half the game due to Tatemans injury, however Broadway was not putting on a show tonight as he went 4 of 15 with 54 yards, 1 TD, and 1 INT.

Houston had no chance to get the run game going either with -26 yards rushing on 13 attempts, only giving it to their RB 3 times for 1 yard, and numerous sacks on the QBs to drive back their rush total.

On the Tulane side, quarterback Ryan Griffin went 13 of 24 for 248, 3 TDs, and 2 INTs. Backup DJ Ponder came into the game late and went 1 for 1 for a 2 yd TD

However, Tulane won the game because of solid D and a fine performance from running backs Orleans Darkwa and Peyton Jason. Darkwa went 36 for 134 with 2 TDs and Jason went 11 for 73 yds. This allowed Tulane to control the time of possession to keep the mighty Houston offense off the field.

All-American WR DJ Banks came up big once again with 7 receptions for 160 yards and 1 TD, with and impressive 90 yards after catch. 4 different Tulane receivers had touchdowns, giving Houston a little taste of their own medicine.

On defense, CB Derrick Strozier had 2 crucial interceptions to assist in an all-around fine Tulane performance.

"We just wanted to stick behind our talents RBs and throw a few passes in here and there to keep them honest. We will take 3 yards per carry any day of the week, giving us 3rd and shorts which allowed us to go 38% on 3rd down conversions compared to Houstons 20%. We shouldve had a few more 3rd down conversions but had some feet for hands." said Coach TJM "Our defense completely shutdown the high powered Houston offense allowing 0 points in the second half. The pressures, sacks, ints, and the injury to Heisman candidate Daniel Tateman was huge. We are excited to see how we can finish out this season."

Edit: dammit, I had some great highlights but it said that the Dynasty Wire was unavailable at the time and retried and it just uploaded the story. I wanted Weave to see the screen play I stole from him after last season that has been amazing (TD against Bonner and I even told him about it on the phone before the game and the formation too lol)

2. TJM

TJM Walk On

My bad, thought this was being posted in the Game Summaries thread. Please move it to the appropriate place if possible. Thanks.

3. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Well done. This puts me a win away from cusa championship game. Hopefully our electricity stays on long enough for me to beat up on Memphis and make the Houston game irrelevant.