Tuning Chat

Discussion in 'Tradition Racing' started by GoGators, Nov 18, 2011.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Figured it'd be better to centralize all this into one thread rather than spewing it about.

DelZaster - Thanks for the tune. I ran 10 laps at Laguna with it this morning and my best time was a 1:37. My best time with the tune I sent you was 1:35. What that proves to me is you're a far superior driver than I am....(but we already knew that haha).

I think one of the biggest issues I'm facing is I've spent most of my time in this game driving the M5 the way I had it setup which is extremely tight. So when I get into a faster/looser tune, I'm all over the place. I just need more time to develop my skills.

Also, the disconnect I'm having is I'm not at a point yet where I understand what the car is doing on the track compared to what tune setting is causing that. I've spent time reading the tuning guides on the Forza and Realistic Racing websites. I have an understanding from a technical standpoint of what certain settings control, but I don't understand the connections or how to "feel" them in my car on the track yet. Do any of you guys know of a guide that discusses this in more detail?

One of the biggest things is the suspension settings. I notice they are much softer in this tune than mine and I wondered why you did that? What do you feel when driving that indicates to you the suspension is too stiff?

Also, the gearing was quite a bit different. What drove the changes there?

Hellisan - I played with the 3rd tune you sent me, the one where downforce was maxed out, and I didn't feel like I could get that thing to turn. I took a couple laps with it and when I'd enter a turn the thing just kept pushing. What would cause that?......besides my terrible driving haha.

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Are you using TCS?

Well, when you tune a BMW, typically the #1 thing you're doing is trying to get the rear to have enough grip that it's not difficult to keep the thing under control (reduce sliding). This portends a stiffer front end in terms of the spring and ARB settings typically. So technically that should increase understeer. It's possible that I've been driving the RWD's so long in this game that I don't feel understeer as much anymore, I just adjust my driving and take my time getting back on the gas.

3. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Yeah what difficulty settings are you guys driving at (TCS included) Do you have everything turned off? Stability control and all that crap? Just curious.

4. PAgamer07

When I switched my Toyota to RWD one of the first things I noticed was how much power the back end had (obviously). Acceleration was fine, cornering was fine, until I hit the gas to come out of the corner and the back end would just spin out if I gave too much gas. What should be adjusted to correct that?

5. GoGators

Hellisan

I run with everything turned off, manual w/clutch, and only use the braking line.

I don't even know if it was so much understeer on that one tune. The car literally wouldn't turn at speed. I'll have to play with it some more tonight and this weekend.

How did you guys start learning to tune cars? Would you just max a setting out, drive a few laps, then turn it all the way down and go from there to figure out where abouts the sweet spot should be? Or is there a different way?

6. PAgamer07

See I do the same, except dont use the clutch. I should, but unless I remap my controller, I hate where its at right now.

7. GoGators

Most guys switch it to the "A" button. I've kept it as the LB cause for whatever reason upshifting feels weird when the clutch is the "A" button.

8. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Don't go full throttle out of the corner. :)

9. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    I still have no idea how to tune a car.

10. PAgamer07

Haha. Dude, I barely touch the thing at it goes crazy. I love the straightaway speeds, I was hitting 15-20 MPH faster on the long straightaway at Catalunya then my AWD build, but shit, Ive got to shift down to 1st or 2nd gear to not wipe out coming out of a corner.

11. GoGators

There's a couple things you can do. Try lowering the acceleration differential to like 5-10%. Also, you can change your overall gear ratio to reduce acceleration. Gotta be careful with the second one though cause you can sacrifice too much acceleration. Those are the two cheap tricks I know to makeup for shitty driving abilities haha.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dcauto

dcauto Walk On

How did I learn to tune? Well, some of us started in FM2 were you could down load tunes off of the leader board or by them from the auction house unlocked. This way when you found a tune that worked for you you could see what adjustments were made to the setup and learn what worked for you.

The tuning in FM3 was similar but some of the unrealistic tricks that worked in 2 didin't work the same for me in 3. Such as running 1 front anti roll and 40 rear anti roll on an AWD. So I learned to tune for the feel I wanted.

So for FM2 I learned from other tuners what the adjustments did in an extream sense. In FM3 I used the knowledge of what each adjustment did to find The feel I like.

In FM4 I've had to retrain myself again. The adjustment options haven't changed so I know what to adjust, but the sweat spots aren't were I have always expected them to be.

The best thing I can say is that the build is 90% of how well the car will perform. So play around with you builds. The best horse power number is not always the best or fastest build.

Next read and under stand what each adjustment dose. In the tuning shop it tells you what each adjustment does. I adjust my bump to around half of my rebound. Then I adjust tire preasure, alignment, trans and brakes. Second I adjust my diffs. Thrird I adjust my springs and roll bars. Next I adjust my Shocks to fine tune everything. Lastly I adjust my areo. I like a car that doesn't loose it over curbs. Lower bump settings, higher ride hight, softer springs (this game likes stiffer springs for my preferance) and believe me lower diff settings all help to flatten out the curbs.

That all is not written in stone. I will constantly go back or even skip ahead and adjust other things out of that order because I know thats what I need to make that corner or that curb or that strait right.

The last thing I'll say is run clean laps. Even if you have to slow down to do it. You can hotlap once you get the car working right.

• Like Like x 1