Turbo Button: Yes or No

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by Rudy, Apr 26, 2010.

?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Rudy

Rudy Pumped for NCAA 11

We have news that the turbo button will be off by default in Madden and on in NCAA. What do you guys think about the turbo button? Is this necessary in football games or should the analog stick be it?

I personally feel that the analog stick isn't that great in differentiating speeds. I can't just hold the stick at 85% to run 85% speed. I can go about halfway or full throttle. My thumb doesn't have many variations. Furthermore, most football players aren't sprinting BUT when they get in the open field or a foot race (defender trying to catch a WR, RB breaking into the secondary, etc) they DO hit the gas and run differently. I like the turbo button because of it. Just hammer someone's agility while using it imo.

Either way we get an option in the games this year. But if you had to choose one way or another - turbo or no turbo?

2. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

It's a tough question. I would say no for this reason:

When running off tackle or a counter, if you don't hit turbo, you can get run down from behind by a DE. But if you do hit turbo, the CPU defense reacts unrealistically getting off their blocks and flying to the ball.

But then again, like you said, when taking a hand off and waiting for your linemen to get their blocks to open the hole, it'd be hard to only push it 50% of the way.

I'd like to see how the game plays without the speed burst and then if it doesn't work well, go back to using it.

I think in theory, a football player is 99% of the time trying to get to full speed. With the only real exception being waiting for a hole to open, but once it opens he's gotta go. On defense, you have the strafe button. Perhaps it would be an awesome idea to add a half speed button for offensive running backs. Then if you wanted to be patient you could just sort of strafe like on defense until it's time to hit the gas.

3. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

definitely turbo...
    I cant remember the last football game that didnt have a turbo button.

2k5 had that "tap A" turbo/break tackle feature. that was kind of cool.

4. Rudy

Rudy Pumped for NCAA 11

I think one of the hockey games had a turbo button but a slider for how strong it worked. You could set it to 0 for zero effect or 100 for a huge effect. I like that idea.

5. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I think the SPRINT button should stay just for the simple fact I like manually slowing down to set up blocks. But I guess we'll have to see how that works.

6. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

IMO the whole sprint/turbo thing is a hold over from the days when we didn't have pressure sensative joysticks.

as folks play these days its really redundant - just an extra button to push for the sake of pushing it.

I think a much better system would be to have the joystick determine how fast your guys runs, with the sprint button as a short term - two or three second - burst.

i.e. the burst is for hitting holes, closing in on the ball in the air or closing in on a tackle. use your burst at the wrong time and you might be fubared.

7. GoGators

I'm with Bly. The speed burst/turbo is a thing of the past. It was created because there weren't controls that had range possibilities. You either pushed X or didn't, no 50% existed. It was also created for arcade style games such as NFL Blitz and NBA Jams.

Getting rid of the speed burst would be progress I think as it would develop a new technique/user skill required to find success in the game.

Think of it this way:

You could really create running styles.

A fast back/scat back would need to be at 50% when taking a hand off to find his hole before accelerating through it.

On the other hand, you could have a bulldozer style RB who when taking a handoff is 100% headed for the LOS where the hole is suppose to be, and if it's not there, he'll just move the pile.

The way the guy referred to it in the Madden blog seems fitting "more organic".

8. Masler

Masler Moderator

Having the Turbo button gives you an advantage on a long bomb play. How else are we supposed to catch up to the ball and burn a corner. Or when you hand off to the outside, how are you supposed to beat the DE and some of the slower linebackers. Having it automatic might work but that could also mess up timing by a long shot. I prefer to have it just because it helps more than it hinders.

9. GoGators

that's where the ratings are supposed to come into play.

10. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

SPRINT Button!! I hate when people call it a turbo button, lol, this ain't Sonic the Hedgehog

11. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I haven't played EA's hockey game so I don't really understand the alternative. Is it that if I push my left stick all the way up, he runs faster (and according to EA's code causes the defense to immediately break all blocks) than if I only push it forward slightly? Meaning, that I'll need to push slightly up while pushing left or right to turn left and right at normal speeds?

If so, I think that blows and would hate it a lot. I'm no where near a stick jockey and would not be able to do that. I'd much rather pushing the left stick all the way forward and then pushing the sprint button when I want a speed boost as opposed to trying to control the speed with my left stick.

12. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I agree with this. not everybody has the intermediate stick control. For instance in Forza do well because not only do i know the angles but I can drive as accurately as somebody with a wheel only I have the advantages of a stick (quick maneuvering). I can do all the in-between stuff on the joystick.

But in NCAA I know I absolutely would not be able to. There is just too much going on. In forza there's literally just three buttons being used most of the time aside from shifting which becomes automatic.

I'm definitely DEFINITELY willing to give it a shot without just dismissing it, but it seems to me like it would be better with turbo still in the game. And definitely better for non stick control guys.

13. GoGators

I think something that's missing in the logic though is the acceleration. For the first time players won't be at top speeds when you push the stick all the way immediately. Therefore, pushing the stick all the way up will still require your player to accelerate. In addition to this, I think how they've added the right stick controls to plant your foot or high step would allow you to taper your speed off slightly. So while maybe for the past games it may not have worked very well, the new game with the locomotion engine may be a different animal entirely.

I'm not sure if it would work great or not, but I'd definitely like to see it.

14. LeGeNd RiPs

LeGeNd RiPs Is it football season yet?

I freakin loved 2k5! I miss that game! Wonder if i can find a copy somewhere...

15. Koach Vonner

Koach Vonner Walk On

I think I will give it a try with the new "Sprint" button. However, if I can't grasp it after a few games against the CPU, I will be returning to the old way before I play online where it matters.

My question is, how do I get my "LB" to Sprint on a Pursuit angle? What if my opponent or CPU's "RB" sprints before I do. Then I can't catch him

16. GoGators

Ratings! Ratings! Ratings! For the first time EA is working towards making the ratings the only thing that matter in gameplay and majority here seem against it.

If your LB has bad acceleration and agility compared to the HB, he won't catch him once he's beat. Now he may come up and make a play, but he won't be running him down if he doesn't have the ratings to do so. That's the way the game is suppose to work. Not once my LB gets beat by a HB whose twice as fast, I'm going to be able to light the rocket up his ass and catch him! hahaha.

17. Rudy

Rudy Pumped for NCAA 11

Having a turbo button has nothing to do with ratings. Faster players should still catch slower players. Acceleration still matters as well. I don't understand your comment.

18. Koach Vonner

Koach Vonner Walk On

I understand the Ratings. I also know that my "LB" shouldn't be able to catch a "RB" who is already passed him. I'm thinking more on the fact that if the computer controls when a "LB", "RB" and "WR" all sprint, then whose to say it won't kick in a split second to late. I guess that's my concern. The hole opens up, you want to hit it, but your guy won't go when you need him too. Or he does, but you're like, "MAN I COULD'VE HIT THAT RIGHT WHEN I GOT THE BALL".

19. BDawg35

BDawg35 Walk On

My great fear, as someone with zero stick skillz, is this is yet another move by the video game companies to make right-thumb skillz more and more of a determining factor when playing these games. Here's my right thumb skillz: (n)

20. GoGators

I hear your argument, but I think this is all the more reason to get rid of the turbo/sprint button. You shouldn't wait for the CPU to hit the speed burst. When he reacts, he should react as his ratings allow and pursue the ball as well as he can. There shouldn't be a timing issue with the speed burst being a split second too late or too early.

As for not understanding my comment earlier in the other post, I know it may look like it at times, but Percy Harvin never had a button he hit to make him go from fast to warp speed. So if we truly want a sim style game, why would there be a button like this? It's very arcadish/NBA Jams.

If a player is running on offense, they are always trying to go as fast as possible. So, a player running in a straight line should be going towards max speed, always. A player cutting should be trying to cut and maintain as much speed as possible, always. On defense, you're trying to get to the ball as quickly as possible unless you're in a back pedal or strafe. Those buttons are incorporated.

Think back to your own gameplay, you probably hold speed burst down 99% of the time anyways. So why even have it in the game? Just allow the ratings to control this.

Like I said in a previous post, you have to look at this going forward, not comparing it to previous games. With the new right stick controls and locomotion/acceleration, you're going to be able to slow a guy up by wiggling the right stick or putting your head down for contact etc.

If you really think about it, the speed burst/turbo doesn't make sense with acceleration/locomotion anyways. You're player will accelerate as his rating dictates and reach the top speed his rating dictates. So how do you factor in a speed burst/turbo? Will this make his ratings increase theoretically so he'll accelerate faster and have a higher top speed???

So if you hit speed burst/turbo with a player who has a lower acceleration rating and lower speed rating before I hit it with my higher rated accel and speed guy, does that mean I can't catch you? If that's the case, then why have the ratings in the first place?

21. CaddilacRockBox

CaddilacRockBox 3 Star Recruit

Christ on a stick. Gator, we actually agree on something. Spring or Turbo is a thing of the past. You will be able to sprint or slow down to some degree with the right stick. It doesn't make sense in the current games that players are only running as hard as they can when the trigger is down. I'm eager for a rating other than speed to matter in a football game. The ability of someone like Reggie Bush to cut and juke has nothing to do with his 40 time. It is all agility and acceleration. Same with 90% of HB's. Knowshon Moreno ran a 4.55 40yd dash, but if you watched film, he outran several guys. I applaud EA Tiburon for this and I can not wait until July 13th.

22. GoGators

LMAO! I have to admit when I clicked on this thread seeing that you had posted I held my breath for what I was about to read. I guess just cause we don't bleed the same colors (orange and blue vs orange and green) doesn't mean great minds don't think alike.

23. Rudy

Rudy Pumped for NCAA 11

That's not true. A RB is never always trying to go as fast as possible. When he's hitting the hole he's trying to go as fast as possible while keeping his pad level low and reading the holes. He's not really going as fast as he can go because he still wants to maintain the ability to change direction and absorb a hit. Once he gets through that line and has nothing but wide open field in front of him - then he tries to go as fast as he can. That's when his form changes. Pad level is meaningless and he's running very upright like a track star, not a football player. He hits that "extra gear". That's when a turbo button is needed imo.

I can also make the argument that a WR runs his routes short of full speed as well. He has to keep his center of gravity down to be able to get in and out of his cuts. When he runs deep he kicks in that extra gear. Without a turbo there is no extra gear that we all know a football player utilizes sometimes.

Pushing full thrust on the analog stick should give you full functional speed so RBs go hard through the holes and WRs run routes quickly but hitting the turbo should let them hit that extra gear where it's a pure sprint. I want that extra gear to be a part of the game.

I will agree with you that it's overused. Nobody is saying turbo should overrule the acceleration or speed ratings though. As far as I'm concerned, full throttle on analog should be 90% of max speed and still let you juke/spin/etc. The turbo should represent hitting that extra gear and take you to 100% speed (ratings still matter) with big penalties for agility and you shouldn't be able to do spins or jukes while using it.

24. BlyGilmore

See i think folks might not have those skills because they've never needed to develop them. And i think if a game went to that model folks would adapt pretty quickly.

i mean it isn't like folks have a problem working the gas pedal or brakes on their car. they can mentally comprehend degrees of pressure and act accordingly.

25. BlyGilmore

that's football man. if you can't cut down the angle and make a tackle before the HB gets by, you fooked up.