Turnover and Archie

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by vatechhokie01, Aug 23, 2010.

1. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

Turnover and Archie

I just wanted to write a bit of an unsolicited defense and comment on the coach turnover issue:

Archie has and does a hell of a job. An absolute hell of a job. (And is also one of the nicer guys in the world)

I know for certain that the reason that we have 8,9, 10 (hopefully 12 soon) guys that enjoy each other and are about the league more than themselves is because of the job Arch does.

I also know for sure that these decisions have nothing to do with anger or dislike. Rather, they are made to safeguard the league and setup the best possible experience for you guys.

And finally, I know that Archie, as mentioned, hardly is the kind of guy to do this by himself out of reaction. He seeks advice as he also seeks to respect the sight and what Tradition is trying to do.

I appreciate it Arch. And thanks for having the hard job.

Heath

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Thank you.

Just so you guys know, the turnover has been an issue, but isn't a problem you guys have to worry about. Sometimes, when this kind of thing happens, guys wonder who will be next, or if they might be next. That is simply not the case.

I've done this stuff for a long time, and one thing I know is that issues spread quickly. If one guy is working a gimmick, other guys end up quitting, because it's just no fun playing a fixed game. So, if I'm not on top of it, I end up losing someone I want to keep, and keeping someone I want to lose. This is why most dynasties crumble. We're beginning to see it now. Have a look at the other forums, and look for the "Sorry guys, but I have to bail" messages. They're trickling in already, and there will be a flood of them soon, as guys realize they don't want to be in 12 dynasties at once.

On Gozer - He passed for over 500 yards, almost all of it in a half, and 300 of it to a single player. There are glitches in the game that make this possible, I know them, and I asked about it. Gozer didn't respond for a couple of days. He didn't post for three. His next game was against an undefeated user team. I kind of had to do something, or the dynamic I mentioned earlier could have been a real problem. If a guy gets his season wrecked by a cheater we knew ahead of time was cheating, it's possible that we could lose the good member, and get stuck with the bad one. This is another thing you will see in the resignation threads - guys who get worked over dropping out.

However, since there has been quite a bit of turnover lately, I thought I'd try to explain. Having a trigger-happy commish is no fun, so I want to make sure you guys know that's not how it works.

3. mbmonk

mbmonk Walk On

I think AG does a great job and commishes never get the credit they actually deserve.

AG has always come off as trying to make the league better for the players. That has always been his goal and it comes through in his actions.

As a memeber from the start I have never felt 'on the block' with AG. I have made mistakes just like others, and AG pointed it out. The I just try to learn from it, fix it, and not repeat it. Everything has been fine since.

We are all in this together, other than VA .. he is a stinky, prick bastard :p.

4. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

F@#K AG~!!!! That is all...

:)

5. brucebond

brucebond Walk On

i totally agree with Arch's moves. i think we are fortunate for having a good commish.

btw, how are yall stopping any opponent? i can't stop any offense at all. user or cpu.

6. vatechhokie01

monk, why can't you play? i really hate to skip a late season game that could hurt your bowls.

7. mbmonk

mbmonk Walk On

I sent a PM to Archie about this. I just don't want to repost it here. It's more of a personal thing. Nothing major though.

I appreciate the thought. I just don't want to hold the entire league up, until I am ready to play that game. So I am just saying Sim it if I am the last guy who hasn't played. I probably have a visitor coming over tonight, so I might not be able to get it in tonight either. So then it's everyone waiting for me to play until tuesday night.. there is just no need for that. If I lose then so be it. I will just take it out on whoever I do play in a bowl game :p

8. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Tuesday? Hell no! Sim it, and I hope he loses ;)

9. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Let me state this in Archie's defense, I was removed from the dynasty by him. I was an original memeber, and I made a mistake, I felt it was minor at first, but after seeing Archie's stance on it, I understood.

With me Archie was fair, he corresponded clearly, and never left me feeling like he was just pulling the trigger. He mulled over his decision and in the end he felt we both needed to move on. That was fair, and he handled the serious issue in PRIVATE where it should have been handled. I felt like even though at first we had different views on the issue in question we could still communicate in a civilized manner, and that was because of the way he handled the situation.

Now that was classy, and all, but what Arch did for me afterwards was what made me realize just what type of person he is. He offered to let me name drop him when I went to apply to another dynasty. I didn't feel like I wanted to do that right away, unless things were desperate. So I posted a thread in the new member section where I confessed to my sin, and asked for a dynasty to pick me up. I was invited to about three of them in less than 3 hours. This was in no small part to the kind post Arch put down, unsolicited in the thread I started. He spoke, unsolicited, to other commishioners about me and was a big factor in me landing on my feet in another dynasty. That is character guys, what you do when no one else is looking, or expecting you to do something.

If for some ungodly reason I was ever offered a spot here again, I would take it in a heart beat because of what I know about the type of person the commisioner is. He booted me, and I still respect him deeply.

Now that Vatech guy is an asshole.

10. mbmonk

mbmonk Walk On

If you weren't a Carolina fan I would kiss you. That and the whole you being a guy thing is a bit of an issue for me as well. :p

11. brucebond

brucebond Walk On

Hey, watch it there!

he's a mod now. but i prefer to call him douche.

12. mbmonk

mbmonk Walk On

Surely you two can come to some sort of compromise. I suggest "douchehole" or "assbag". Everyone is happy, except VA, which is how it should be (y)

13. vatechhokie01

if i had a vote i think id choose assbag. douchehole just sounds filthier.

14. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Example:

I'm beating UTEP 34-0 with 4 minutes left to play. I've had my second unit in all 4th quarter long, but I'm flat-out bored (running out the clock) and can't wait for the game to end. I super-sim to end of the game, and the final score ends up being 34-3.

Before reading about easy's offense, I would have assumed that this was okay. Now, it goes without saying that his super-simming ways went far beyond this example, but being a rookie member who's brand spankin' new to online sim play, I can't help but wonder, "What else don't I know?" Quite naturally, that brings some angst.

In my short stay here, AG's been extremely accessible, helpful, and reassuring. VT, as co-moderator, has been the same way. The amount of time they've spent answering my endless questions via PM has been impressiveand much appreciated. It's also good to read that the "booted-out process" is thorough one and not done in haste.

I just want the board to know that what may seem like common sense to veteran players, may not be to newbies like myself. Thus, being pro-active and discussing potential issues (before they become deal-breakers) may be a helpful approach to aid new-comers.