TW12 Newbies help

Discussion in 'Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Golf' started by Vlad, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Vlad

Vlad Inaugural Masters Champion

Featured Threads:
    Like I've mentioned before I have spent countless hours playing the series,for the past 4-5 years.I am far from being a world class player,but for most part can hold my own on any difficulty/conditions online and off...I have decided to share some of things I've learned,hoping to help people in this community who are brand new or haven't played as extensively as me...

Feel free to ask me whatever you'd,I of course reserve the right to withhold some details :D.Better players you are also welcom to join/collaborate if you'd like...

There is some basics I am not going to be able to help you with...There is no exact science of how the wind , lie and elevation effect ball flight,but I promise you the longer you play the better feel for it you'll get...The other thing you'll need to figure out for yourself is how far and more importantly what happens when the ball lands on the green with all your clubs(this year this is much easier since we have both landing and rolling circle-dumb feature imo)...

Today I'll write a bit about course management...My number 1 rule is ALWAYS leave myself with a FULL approach shot... Perfect example for this is the 3rd hole in Augusta...It is uphill and long enough so it is not reachable with the driver(with our settings anyway),yet I've seen plenty of people who hit a driver off the tee...Now with favorable winds you'll be able to drive close enough so you can have a very nice pitch shot for your 2nd,however most of the time you'll be in a range you have to hit let's say 70-75% full shot which going to be very very inconsistent ...

The 2nd thing I keep in mind is the distance for my approach shot...On that particular hole I don't want to have to hit my lob or sand wedges...Most of the time your highest lofted wedges will spin back...Now if the pin is on the back of the green I'll risk overshooting the green or for the ball to spin all the way down the slope...If I have taken all this in account now I'll tee of with an idea to leave me with 140-150 yards for 2nd.For me this will be probably GW or PW clubs I'm very comfortable with getting close to the pin...So I'll check where the 150 yds marker is and I'll try to tee off close to it...

Of course this is just a specific example and my thought process will be different on let's say 550 yards par 4,however I know that being aware of what I have coming for the next shot will give me an advantage...

Hope this helps...Like I said I'll answer almost any questions,so if you have something you are having problems(technical or gameplay) with let me know

• Like Like x 1
  2. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

Thanks for the tips - I have a question..

Why do sometimes you have to aim short on a putting green when its an uphill slope? Is that just the caddie giving bad advice?

3. Dub-ya

Dub-ya Walk On

Green speeds, especially Augusta, which are the fastest greens I've ever played -- depending on green speed and how long and uphill the put is, you may actually have to take some off of the length. There is a bit of arithmetic magic that can be done on the greens ;)

Eff your caddy though. I mean, I understand he helps newbies, but if you learn a few things about the game, you can stay out his tangled, convoluted voodoo......practice, crazy concept huh, guess EA thought it was over-rated......

• Like Like x 1
  4. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

Thanks for the explanation - makes sense to me (y)

5. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    No.Augusta's greens are SUPER fast....They are faster compared to tournament speed for the rest of the courses...

In general on FLAT surface with our speeds you only need about 60% of the distance to lag it...so if you have 20 ft putt you only need to line it up 12 ft to get it around the hole...Keep in mind though that changing distances also changes the break so you'll have to adjust ...For most part I only go to this rule for long putts 30+ ft,inside of that I kind of know how to lined it up to have a chance to sink it (and then watch it roll 20 ft away from the holl lol)...Also this seem not to be valid for downhill putts,where the ball roll FOREVA sometimes

Like Dub-ya said with practice you'll figure it out...One of the features they didn't include this year was practice rounds ,you were able to move the ball anywhere you'd like and was very helpful if you wnat to put the time to figure things out

As for elevation it USED to be add or substract 1 foot for every 1 inch of elevation...Still works a lot of time,but there are some head scratchers here and there

• Like Like x 1
  6. Obmij76

Obmij76 Walk On

I suck at putting - I miss even short putts. And not being able to do practice swings like Im able to do offline kills me when playing in the online flights.

7. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

On the shorter putts is where i find the real dilemma on Augusta. Do you dolly it, in which you have to play for more break, but ensure worse case scenario is that you're pin high. Or do you try to ram it home, play through the break and trust yourself to get that analogue stick back in a nice straight line.

I tend to do the latter for most puts inside 6 feet, unless its downhill, in which i generaly say a prayer.

8. Obmij76

Obmij76 Walk On

Usually what screws up my putts is that when I bring the analog back up, theres a little waggle towards the end and my putt ends up to either side of the cup

9. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

Like you say, i dont see why you can't have the practice swing feature online... as long as you get your shot off within the 60 seconds, who cares what you do in between.

10. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    I went from +16 to -2 in one round, so I really think the main thing is practice in this game! I worked on my swing flow and got it down. No practice swing online is very lame though.

11. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

I played good golf my 3rd round...just caught a few unlucky bounces and a few mis read on putts. Went from +10 to +11 to +4. And that +4 could have been +1 or +2 if I made a few putts.

My golfer is only around 200-205 total pts too, so I'm hoping when I get closer to the 240, being able to hit it a bit further/accurate will make the difference in being an over par to under par golfer.

12. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Ya I went from +12 to -1 on saturday

13. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

[​IMG]

We're all very happy for you.

14. _MG_

_MG_ Watching Folks Swim

Featured Threads:
    not my fault i beat you by 18 strokes last night GTG. It's all in the hips :)

15. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

Thanks for the tips Tom Kite.

16. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Serious n00b questions incoming:

Yesterday I bought TW12 which is my first ever golf game. I'm playing on Pro I think (it's the 2nd easiest I think). I always use the caddie since I don't really know what I'm doing. Here are some questions I have.

Putting:
    Here's my understanding of putting. I move the aiming arrow into the center of the target circle and then when I swing, I pull back on the stick until the putter is in the middle of the yellow block on the vertical scale. Is this correct?
    If not, then what am I supposed to do?
    I suck so I usually can't get the pull back good enough, but sometimes I think I have everything perfect, but I still miss without even hitting the cup (even on shortish 10 ft putts).
    Is this because my caddy sucks?
    Does he suck because I don't have enough course mastery, and if I get it higher, will he be more accurate?
    Is my caddy spot on and I'm just doing something wrong?
    When pulling back on the stick, do I need to just release it when I'm done or do I need to push it all the way to the top to follow through?
    Do I need to pull it back perfectly straight, or does it not matter if I pull back/push forward to the right or left?

Other shots:
    What's the best way to hit 90ish % shots? Should I try to gauge when I'm 90% through my backswing, or is it best to just go all the way back and then count off until I've lost enough power?
    Is there a decent way to hit 50ish % shots without using the 3 click meter? (I can't help but to slice when I use the 3 clicker) I've tried pulling back the stick and then going back up very quickly and while I'm able to get 50ish % sometimes, I often hit the 70s when doing this.
    Is the only way to lower the power to make the back swing quicker? Can you control power by only pulling the stick back part way instead of all the way down? IE. When I do a full 100% swing, I pull the stick all the way down for X mS. When I want to do a 75% swing, I pull the stick all the way down for X-Y mS. Should I instead be pulling the stick only 75% of the way down for as long as I want?
    Does it matter if I go all the way back up on the stick (for a follow through) so can I control the power by only going, say, 70% of of the way up on the stick?

Misc:
    In the club tuner screen (I think that's what it's called) does that affect my shots in actual games?
    How often do I need to retune? After each match? Whenever I get a new club? Whenever I change my player's attributes?
    Is it worth it to retune?
    It seemed like I could change the loft and the sweet spot which affected my distance. It makes sense to just move those sliders until I get the longest distance. The 3rd setting seemed to control how bad my slice/hook were. Going to one side made them both worse while moving the slider in the other direction made them both better. Is there any reason why I'd want to not use the lowest setting? Does that also affect how well I can draw/fade when I'm wanting to do that?
    In the game manual, it said I could get new gear by either getting sponsorship or by buying them from the pro shop. I haven't seen any kind of currency in any screens. The closest thing I've seen is my XP. When in the pro shop, are all items that have been unlocked "free" or am I spending some form of currency every time I upgrade to a new club or choose a different shirt?
    Before each tournament I can play some sort of 4 hole practice match and a sponsor challenge. I think the sponsor challenge unlocks new gear if I complete it. Is that correct? What's the point of the practice match? Is it just for XP or can I get something else from it? (the guys in the practice are much better than the ones in the tournament from what I've seen)
    Are there any career earnings in the game (IE. "you just earned your 1,000,000th dollar)?

Thanx for the help.

17. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

Ill tackle some of these questions.

Putting.
    On tournament fast greens, your caddy read is going to suck with or without the highest level of course mastery. He expects you to hit the perfect putt and if you do, it will hit the back of the cup fast, slight mishits will leave you with about 9 / 10 feet going back again, not ideal. Really, you just have to practice the greens yourself and develop a feel for getting the ideal 'lag', meaning - having the ball finisish within a foot or so of the cup. Get the speed right first and foremost, and then reading the break in the green will become easier. As a starting point - use the bottom of the caddie putt circle to help lag puts. Your golfer will get better when you can allocate him more attributes, have a look at the putting attributes and this will help your misshit puts a bit. Be aware there is a attribute limit on this tour. Finally - pull the stick straight back (to the yellow line) and straight forward as best possible, this will help you massively. Go on Augusta, tournament greens, and turn Mulligans on. Just play around test shots out, and mainly practice putting over and over and over again, until you realise why you are getting better results. Augusta are the fastest of any of the greens on this game, so learn on those greens and everything else will seem a touch easuer.

18. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

Other shots
    I find choking down on your irons and adding loft to shots is the best way to cover the 95% > 85% range. Again, after that it is just about learning the swing. Be aware on this tour, i dont think you can use the 3 click method. My only advice is roughly learn your club distances and then if you hit an approach shot or are laying up, make sure you hit a distance that doesn't require a 50% shot. Around the greens you can cycle through flop shops, pitching and chipping and then use the above "choking and adding loft method" to hit as close to 100% as possible. Other than that, golf is a thinking mans game, and sometimes even on this you have to put your ball in the best place to play your next shot, even if that does mean hitting 60 yards less than you can. The way you judge how far back to pull the stick is by watching your golfers swing. If you need to hit a 50% swing, roughly you want to be hitting 50% of the swing your golfer makes, not 50% of the pulling the anologue stick back. You always want to follow through with the swing, no matter what shot or what distance, ensure the anologue stick makes its way back to the top.

19. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

Misc
    Unless you are familliar with how you play, i wouldn't touch the retuner stuff yet. If when you learn the game a bit better, you realise you always hit a little bit of a slice, you may want to tune your clubs to have a little bit of a draw to counter it or something. At this stage it may be counter-productive if you start fiddling. Try to grip the basics before you go into that screen. However, you want to use the swing tuner, as you can allocate points you earn to help improve your golfer. I.E - Hitting it further and more accurately etc. Explore that screen and be aware of the improvements you can make to your game. Apart from that, go onto the course, and just keep playing. This game is very easy to play, but difficult to master. There are lot of intricate details that you need to learn to master it, but that is part of the fun of playing it. Every course and shot is different, the wind changes, you want to try and hit approach shots to the greens so that you are below the pin ( uphill putting is easier than downhill ). Be aware you need more power/club if you are hitting to an elevated green and less power/club if you are playing to a downhill green. A ball that lies above your feet will naturally draw (for a right handed golfer) and ball lying below your feet will naturally fade if it is below your feet (again for a right hander). All this stuff you will learn and understand in time though.

What is important is to look at what your caddie advises..... For example...If he shows you a shot that tells you 88% of a 6 iron will make the middle of a green... you can pretty much club down to a 7 iron and hit it 100%.

Learning all these small details just comes with time and practice, enjoy learning the game. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions. Everyone around here will be willing to help you out.

20. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Thanks for taking the time to answer, Jon.

Jello, when you feel comfortable enough/if you even have the desire, sign up for a TGA Tour tournament! You would be a great addition to the tour.

21. jello1717

Thanx for the help Jon! That helped a lot, especially the "aim your putts at the front of the circle instead of the middle" part. I've still never played on Augusta, but I was still usually long on my putts. I still need to dial it in, but in a round last night on the Straits course I missed about 6 or 7 mid ranged putts by a few inches instead of a few feet.

I'm also thinking that I might have to start figuring out my own drives/approaches instead of listening to the caddy as last night I hit a bunch of drives exactly as the caddy suggested that never touched the fairway.

For the swing tuner, it doesn't seem to be any different than the screen I get after each round (well, after anything that gives XP) or in the build your golfer screen. Is this correct or is there something else in the swing tuner?

Just to give you an idea of what a n00b I am, in the "allocate your XP" screen, there's a couple of things about mishits, which I pronounced in my head as mee-shits. I had no idea at all what a mee-shit could be, but I guessed it was probably the swing meter or something. After reading Jon's posts last night, I decided to google it and saw that it's actually a mis-hit and then I understood. :oops:

22. Vlad

Featured Threads:
  23. jello1717

I just played my first PGA Tour game and it asked how many rounds and I said "1" since that was what I played on the amatuer tour. Now in my 2nd tourner I've decided I'd rather play more rounds, but I can't find an option to change the # of rounds.

Am I screwed now since I chose "1" for the 1st tourney?
    Will it be like this forever?
    Will I be able to change it after the 1st season (which I'm assuming ends when I get to the bottom of the list of tournaments)?
    Will I screw myself over if I just skipped every tournament so that I could get to season 2 and then select multiple rounds (assuming that I can do this after a season)? IE. Can I lose my PGA Tour card or something like that?

Thanx again for all the help.

24. ThunderDart

ThunderDart Walk On

Unfortunately you screwed the pooch on this one. You can change the number of tournament rounds for the following season. You can skip all the events and go to the second season. I don't know the consequence for this action (ie. losing card etc) if any or you can create a new golfer. Personally with the amount of time it takes to create a new golfer compared to going to each event and skipping it your looking at 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other.

Best of luck.
    See you on the course.
    Alex

The grass is always greener on the back nine.

25. bawvu97

bawvu97 Let's Goooooo Mountaineers

Featured Threads:
    So i learned it makes sense to play the challenges instead of just skipping to the courses. So i didnt qualify to go to Q school but got admitted to the PGA Tour. WIll i have a chance again next season?