TW13 Input

Discussion in 'Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR Golf' started by Oblong, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Oblong

Oblong Walk On

Any golfers still hanging around here? I'd love to get some input on anything that you'd like to see improved for TW13.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Good to see you Oblong.

By the way...sorry for my drunken rambling in Cleveland.:)

3. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

things i would like to see TCC..

Caddie optional

A "True" mode where their are no aides other than a virtual scorecard and distance markers. No hole previews, no overhead shot setup.. a true sim mode.

Better online support for "Online Tour" mode to allow groups of people to isolate down and play online tournaments within a tour framework that tracks week to week standings and statistics. Think of Online Dynasty for Tiger Woods.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

I have a few ideas , been playin EA golf since sega and I felt last years game was probably the hardest version... Please keep the challenge ....

Online tour mode above like Ryno mentioned would be awesome , most sports games have some kind of online league set up , TW could use the same.

Also an idea in way of content that TW can bring to gamers that no other game can do ..... Get some more public courses. I had opportunity to play TPC Deere Run course , a bigger roster of TPC courses or high profile public courses can give a gamer a cool feeling while playing TW where he could say "hey I rember playing this hole on my trip" etc. , no other game can deliver that to an averag joe. Much as I love baseball I never got anywhere near Fenway lol.

Finall my last suggestion , I am sure many things go into this , but can we get more equipment & gear in the game ? Frustrating to me when I have 2k worth of golf clubs in my bag at home and I can't use same high profile clubs with my golfer on TW.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

The difficulty level should be as customizable as possible. Maybe I, like Ryno, prefer to have no overhead preview or hole preview or grids on the green but I struggle with putting so I like to have the "normal" difficulty settings for putting (I like having the aim and power meter but no putt preview.)

Really the whole concept, which I have been screaming for with respect to all EA sports games, is power to the players. Not every player that picks up the game is going to value certain pieces of the experience the same. Some players may value the "arcade" style of tee-ing off, hitting RB as many times to "powerup" his tee shot while others may prefer the "sim" aspects of no previews or overhead shot setups. The key is customization of these difficulty factors - give us the power to cater the experience to our liking. Features like caddies, shot previews and putting meters - all of that stuff should be able to be turned on and off. While I confess that the TW series does this better than most EA Sports games, it still has some ways to go. Empower the players - give them the tools to cater the experience and the end result is more pleased customers. Sure the default experience is crucial, but giving us the key's to unlock those door's would go a long way.

To build upon both what Ryno was saying, and my vision in general for all EA Sports games, difficulty levels should be customizable such that the "commissioner" of an online tournament or league should have two choices. A) Everyone plays under the same rules. B) The difficulty level is customizable for everyone. Furthermore, the commissioner should have the ability to enforce handicaps and things of that nature as well. The main reason I stopped playing this years game online was that I was getting absolutely drilled by better players. When players are consistently shooting 15 strokes better than you, clearly you need to find a league that is more in line with your skill level. Leagues/online tournaments could mitigate that with a handicap.

Another idea I've been kicking around is allowing created golfers to move to more of a "progression" system - consistent with how well they're playing - more like the logic behind the progression system in the football games. Certainly do not do away with the current system, but give player the option in career mode to chose another path. If you're driving accuracy has been good, your accuracy goes up. Maybe its based on the amount of fairways you hit in a round or something like that. The same can be applied to just about every statistic. Its just an idea and might provide a better challenge for some players.

I'll post more ideas as they come to me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Saved scorecards! I have gone so far as to write down my scores on every hole of every tournament. Its nice to look back as your playing what holes are tough for you, and which ones are easy.

Take this one step farther and implement course records with unlockables possibly.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Vlad

Vlad Inaugural Masters Champion

Featured Threads:
    Hi Oblong,
    First of all I'd like to take the opportunity and personally thank you for deciding not to play in the TGA Tour last year.Your actions resulted me winning at least 2 majors which was very nice for my ego :D

I have tons of things I'd like to see changed or tweaked from caddy,to putting and short game,tournament mode and everything in between.Unfortunately am on my way for a fun day standing in line in my friendly DMV,but stay tuned.

Keller I already have an idea of running the tour Pro-Am style for next season.Think the Pebble Beach tournament,where they have 2 leaderboards one for the tournament and one for the Pro-Am.I am pretty sure keeping track of handicaps might be an issue,logistically not ethically,and I might need some help so any programming fellas here,feel free to jump on board.

Danthraxxx I have been very critical of EA for the implementation and direction TW has gone in the past,however I fully understand when it comes to courses there is not much there can't be done.I am sure the folks at Tiburon would love to have all 80+ courses from the PGA and European Tours in the game,however the size of the disks and more importantly licensing make this impossible. It is the same issue with equipment (no Tiltleist),although it was very disappointing not to have the latest equipment included last year.

Basis4aDay56 give us your thoughts

Shaun Mason tell us more about that drunken rumbling if you don't mind

8. Keller

Was this the guy you were talking to on the shitter?

9. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    Oh and Oblong forgot to say I'm very jealous of the fact you have a lot of info about the TW 13 and I have to wait for months to see what they did.Can we work something out :D

10. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    Alright here are some of my thoughts.In regard of TW I always wanted a "true simulation game" and so far EA's efforts in this regard have failed.
    For me it seems every time they take a step forward,they take one and a half back.I understand there is no way EA can make everyone happy,but as many people have shown there is a room for both arcade and simulation modes in the way the game is setup.

Caddy - I won't spend a lot of time on everyone's favorite punching bag,but IMO the implementation of it was massive fail.On/off options is a must (as I'm sure there will be a massive outcry from the laser tag golf crowd).The only thing the robot should do is give you distances to your targets.

Putting and short game : The main reason for the low scores in the game that both putting and scrambling are way too easy.In the game everything inside 15-20 feet is automatic once you get used to(in real life this number is about 20-30%). I honestly don't now how this can be fixed.Maybe scale back the view on the putting green (for example what now looks like 15 foot putt will be 5 footer) or corelate the sweet spot to distance.
    Same goes to short game especially aroud the green.Up and downs are way too easy.

Swing mechanics/Ball flights: I know this has been changed and I can't wait to see what they did.There a couple of things I always wanted to see done here.
    In the game draws and fades are the same shots where in real life there are very different( for example fades will land softer,draws will roll further )
    The other major thing going back to scrambling is shots played not from the fairway,behave the same way except for distance.So you know that from the rough or a bunker you only have to account for that.In real life those conditions will affect the shot in so many ways : not being able to spin around the green,catching a flier out of the rough etc etc.
    There is also not a lot of difference between the shots you hit with different clubs ( besides distance of course). The number one issue hybrids should be fixed for a separate club with corresponding flight paths.

Shot distances : although they scaled back last year everything is still too long.My CAG had 60 power and on the very fast fairways we played here,my drives were consistently 290+ especially with wind in my back.I always thought power and accuracy should be directly related specifically of the tee.The higher the power the higher the landing circle.And I'm not talking by couple of feet.Every time you drive it 300 yards you should be on the fairway only around 50-60% of the time at best.
    Talking of ball flights hybrids need to be fixed.They should be in a category by itself with their corresponding ball behavior

Tournament mode : I loved the true-aim mode in TW 11 and was very disappointed last year.My main issue was the ability to aim while zoomed in,it completely defeats the purpose.Take it out give me some marker(or not) and let us aim for trees,tv towers etc from distance. The other issue I have is with the lack of follow true cam there.I understand it is a neat idea to follow the shot form the point you hit it,but there is just way too many times you are staring at the side of bunker,a tree or a hill that's in front of you,so give me some kind of an option to see where my ball is going.

Other : custom user tournaments will be nice,but don't care too much as we'll be running cross platform tour.
    Fix the damn move last year was unplayable as far as I'm concerned.It's been 2 years since it come out,and wii is a prime example there are people in EA who can make motion controller a success.On a related note word of advice to kinekt users: keep you expectations very low for now,and I hope I'm proven wrong

Another thing that pisses me off every year is that I have to spend the first week going trough an offline carreer mode I don't care about in order to build my CAG and equip him with the stuff I want,but I know it is a possibility for DLC,so not much will be done there.

There was something else I thought it was important,but can't remember now,so I'll get back to this as more stuff comes to my mind

Thanks for taking your time here Oblong and I hope the feedback you and the other guys give to EA will be taken in account.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Welcome Oblong! Gig 'em!

No, that was Romo (Kevin).

12. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

I wish when I bought the extra course they would last more than for one game. I know I don't have to buy any of the extra course but it would be nice if I bought a course for TW 12 I wouldn't have to rebuy it for TW 13.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Oblong

Oblong Walk On

Awesome input, color me impressed with ya'lls well thought posts which show you have a great handle on both the game and the sport itself.

My approach with the EA guys has always been sticking their old tag line back in their face "if it's in the game, it's in the game" and OPTIONS, OPTIONS, OPTIONS. Like others have mentioned, my history of working with them on the game (5 years now) has always been one of seeing small victories and headscratchers...1 step forward, 2 steps back.

TW13 is shaping up to be some true steps forward. I wish I could go into more detail, but hang tight I believe the lid is coming off a ton of new stuff in the game starting in January. The new swing mechanic that we've been begging for as long as I can recall is a real game changer. It eliminates the need for so many band-aids the game used to feel like golf and never before have you ever felt complete ownership of your shots. There is alot more that goes hand in hand with the new swing but trust me on this one, this is going to be one enjoyable game to play, especially after the mess of TW12 (at least for me, never in the game's history have I ever felt such lack of shot ownership).

I can say some of what you guys are wanting will be a part of the game and I'll be bringing some of your thoughts to the next fine-tuning stage of development.

On other notes, Shaun you were cool and I enjoyed our discussion (especially about the barmaids, lol) and Ryno you'll always be my bro no matter how crazy you get. Sorry I didn't participate in the league this year but I loathed Tour Pro even more than Tournament mode which I prefer to play. Next year I hope to participate more here. The site I run does handicaps for golfers, it's an easy spreadsheet formula used for real golf handicaps and works quite well - keeps players of all skill levels interested in playing longer (we have both scratch and handicap leaderboards for each tourney we do).

Keep the thoughts coming guys, you may just see one make it into the game!

Obs

• Like Like x 3
  14. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    This is exactly the road I want to take the league here.2 leaderboards are a must for me.I understand HC will keep more people interested longer,but on another hand I never liked the system.

I would really appreciate if you share that spreadsheet with me plus maybe let me check how you run things logistically on your site.I also hope basis (last seen in November) will be back,cause I won't be able to run the thing myself.

Meanwhile I know you are under gag order,but let us know whatever you can as soon as you can lol

15. Keller

Thanks for taking the time to read our posts and respond. Good luck on helping create the best TW title yet.