Two Questions

Discussion in 'Tradition Racing' started by GoGators, Nov 9, 2011.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

1 - What transmission do you use? Automatic, Manual, or Manual w/clutch?

2 - Any tips/tricks or if somebody can provide a little walkthrough on the best strategy for that damn kink turn on the backside of Laguna Seca I'd really appreciate it. Also, what's the best strategy for hairpin turns? I feel I struggle to enter them at a good speed and it throws my line off or else I'm losing way too much speed going into them.

2. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

1 - Manual w/ clutch.

2 - Slow down.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Manual...will migrate to clutch but dont feel I need to....that is not my problem.

The Corkscrew......just follow the brake line and slow down at the top hard, hug the right side of the turn and accelerate out. Laguna is a pretty easy course IMO. Tthe first long left turn is tough, and the turn after the corkscrew can be tricky if your coming in too fast.

This is a track that you can nail down if you do enough laps, there is pretty much a set way to do every turn, not much variance IMO.

4. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    1: I use Manual. Just started driving manual a couple of weeks ago, and don't really feel comfortable enough to try the clutch yet.

2: Slow down. Slow in, fast out.

5. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

The kink is the high speed left-handed turn (the one at the bottom of the hill that leads to the the corkscrew).

Approach this one from the right hand side of the track, obviously. Depending upon the speed of your car you will usually have to brake just a little bit. Usually shift down as well, and then cut the corner pretty hard.. You can get all the way on the curbing and still not get a dirty... Then concentrate on straightening out the front wheels as much as you can so that the back end will get planted when coming out of it.

With other cars and other gearing you may not have to downshift at all. That can be a key on this track, is getting the gearing right. I use Manual with clutch by the way, it's much faster but takes some getting used to. Most people get used to it within a week.

6. dcauto

dcauto Walk On

1. Manual with clutch. It is much faster. Remap your clutch button to the A button. This way you press the clutch and up/down gear with your thumb at the same time. It isn't much of and adjustment from regular manual. I also blip the throttle when down shifting to simulate heal-toe. If you don't the rear of the car may step out when down shifting in a corner.

2. For the back kink I set up as far right as posible. I just brush the brake before I turn in, depending on the car I may down shift to 3rd for a good pull up the hill and then I'm hard on the trottle before the apex. You have to put 2 tires off on the inside, you can take a pritty good cut whithout getting a dirty lap. The springs and bump need to be soft inorder to hit the inside curb without upsetting the car to much. The exit is easy if you get the turn in right.

7. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

fine i will go to clutch......i was doing it last year.....just another button.

8. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

My bad, I meant the corkscrew. The issue I run into is that slight right turn you have to make before the corkscrew while coming over the apex of the hill and figuring out how much to brake. Then in the middle of the corkscrew getting the thing on line to come out of that second turn. I probably just need more practice but was wondering if you guys had any tips.

As for the gearing, I plan on tinkering with that more this week. One question I have though, is do you generally set the gearing up so that on the front straight away you'll hit top speed as you get to the the Andretti hairpin? Or do you set it up based on something else?

9. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    I usually try to run a 5 speed transmission, where I'm just below maxing out at the end of the fastest point. If I set it up to max out, and I get in a draft or get a really good run off of the previous turn, I'm going to hit the rev limiter, so I give myself a little breathing room.

I haven't started to do gearing for Laguna yet, so I can't tell you exactly what point I will be using for my top end spot.

10. dcauto

dcauto Walk On

Approach from left on the uphill part. You need to start braking before the crest of the hill or you'll over shoot. It's blind and sometimes you can't see the braking line. Keep the car to the right over the crest right up against the outside curb and follow the braking line over the first inside curb. Accelerate down the hill and ride over the second inside curb. Don't cut the second curb to much cause there's sticy dirt over there now.

• Like Like x 1