U.S. Open (Valhalla)

Discussion in 'Archive' started by SkinniePost, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkinniePost

SkinniePost Walk On

Welcome to the 2012 TCCT U.S. Open at Valhalla

All players,please keep all comments other then technical issues in the discussion thread

Country Club GMs please setup tournaments with the following settings.
    Also note:
    Please be careful that your settings match exactly the ones posted below.Otherwise your club will be DQ'ed from competition.
    Pay extra attention to the green grid - needs to be set to on
    and caddy needs to be off

If you have a weekly tournament that runs past 5PM on Monday,please setup the weekly for 6 days instead of 7

Vlad
    SkinniePost
    ivunphstu
    stufat
    JohnnyClutch

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  2. Vlad

Vlad Inaugural Masters Champion

Featured Threads:
    Welcome to the 2nd Annual US Open!

The tournament will be held at the Valhalla CC and will consist of 3 tournaments:
    The US Open
    The US Amateur Open
    The US Senior Open

Check our scoring thread for list of players eligible for the Amateur and Senior Opens,as well as all the scoreboards!

Jon Carroll is the defending champion,good luck to all the players!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Vlad

Featured Threads:

4. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    List of players ineligible for the US Amateur Open

Category I - Tournament Winners
    SkinniePost
    CapEm16

Category II - Top 20%(14 players) from The Tradition Cup Standings*

BirdDog1980
    ivunphstu
    StormJr
    Keller
    Redef
    boil16
    Vlad
    NismoRR
    thoov08
    JohnnyClutch
    krtgolfing

*Although we have 81 players who have recorder points,we only calculated the top 20% for 70 players (the number of the players who have played in at least 2 tournaments,to counter for 'one-and-done' types of players)
    **There are only 11 names on this list as skinniepost and capem16 are not eligible for the rest of the year,and Johhny Avocado is not a TSO member,making him eligible.

Category III - Players who have not played enough official rounds (5) to establish a handicap

weztuck
    Shaun Mason
    capp34
    Sybawoods
    Cimmy24
    N3XT
    Paulitix
    TiredPlayer
    Matt10
    Darkwing
    Bulldog
    Noahsdadphil

If your name is not on any of this list good luck in our first Pro-Am Tournament

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  5. Vlad

Featured Threads:
  6. SkinniePost

SkinniePost Walk On

Pre-round tip of the day for Valhalla... Don't always believe the green grid and beads :)

There are a lot of subtle ridges and troughs on these greens, so take some time to actually look at the graphics as well as the grid and beads. Some of the grids squares might be going left for 75% of the square but the last 25% is going right. So if your putt is on the 25% side of the square it will go the opposite direction of the beads. The beads are just an average of the overall slope on each square. Most of these you can see by looking at the graphics or the bend in the grid lines. This can also effect the speed of the beads as well... So they may be going slower than the slope really is, since the part of the grid square going the opposite direction slows down the overall average for the square in question.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

WTF!

I need a smaller grid then damnit.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

It official - I hate this course.

9. Bruinboy20

Bruinboy20 Walk On

Weird opening round. Had a bunch of birdies and a bunch of bogeys. Putting was the pits. Ended up -2. Greens really tough to read.

10. thoov08

thoov08 Walk On

I think you scared me into playing a practice round before the tourney for once

11. Dub-ya

Dub-ya Walk On

2 bogeys and a double were the highlights of my first round.....

12. Bruinboy20

Bruinboy20 Walk On

I feel your pain, Dubya.

13. thoov08

thoov08 Walk On

I hear you too. I have three bogeys and a double through 15.

...make that 4 bogeys. Just bogeyed 18 to finish E. I can't seem to find my rhythm ever since my terrible Masters.

14. PitVipers

PitVipers Walk On

Wow, brutal greens! I played pretty well with 83% GIR (and 2 other fringe in regulations) and 5 birdies but still finished +1 with 3 bogeys and a triple. The triple came on #10 where I had a 12-foot putt for birdie. And it wasn't one of those typical misses where I left myself with 20 feet uphill after blowing my first putt past the hole. In my 5-putt, the longest putt was the original 12-footer . My first putt went long leaving me an 8-foot double breaker. Pushed that one 4 feet past, giving me a steep break which I proceeded to roll 5 feet past. Missed that one too and had to tap in for my triple. It just seemed like the green grid was wrong, but of course the real problem is that I'm not good.

15. PitVipers

PitVipers Walk On

Followed up my +1 round with an ever par round with 5 birdies, 3 bogeys, and a double. Every hole was a battle. After 2 rounds, I'm spent and I need a break (these are the kinds of things that I can't say in front of my wife because she would just laugh at me, but you guys understand!)

• Like Like x 3
  16. Eaglems302

Eaglems302 Walk On

Welcome to Valhalla fellas! LOL. Birddog and I can vouch firsthand to the fact that our hometown course, Valhalla, is a beast. Try playing it in real-life! Being from Louisville I've had the chance to play it multiple times, as well as seeing 2 PGA Championships, A Ryder Cup and the Sr PGA Championship there. It's one of the few courses on TW13 that I can personally say matches it's real-life counterpart flawlessly. I've played Sawgrass and Waialia (plus Kapalua and Mauna Kea from previous versions of TW), but Valhalla is a 100% replication...no doubt.

I get pissed playing it on TW because I've had the same disasters on the same holes over the years...and seen many of the best PGA pro's shake their heads in disbelief at the crazy greens. All the par 3 greens are EVIL,
    as are about 12 other greens!!!! #14 green is straight from Hell! You get stuck above the hole with anything more than a 2-footer here and you're gonna regret it 9 times outta 10.

Good luck to everybody (especially my Tradition Sports club mates) and I look forward to seeing the scores some of TW13's best players post on this challenging course. Have fun!

• Like Like x 1
  17. CapEm16

CapEm16 Walk On

You guys are starting to worry me ;)

I don't think I've played Valhalla since we were testing difficulty and settings when the game first came out.

18. SkinniePost

SkinniePost Walk On

You gotta read the green like you are playing with no green grid... The undulations and ridges are too subtle to show up on the grid. Use the grid, but double check it visually like you have no grid to work with. I figure CapEm won't be bothered as much, since he has played some rounds with no grid on... It does help on this course and a few others to be able to read the greens with no grid.

19. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    How did we do on the weather calm enough?!

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  20. ivunphstu

ivunphstu Walk On

Weather was really calm in my first round. Between 4 and 14 MPH I guess.

21. ivunphstu

ivunphstu Walk On

I was lucky enough to be really close to the hole most of the time in my first round so I only had 2-3 situations where I had to scratch my head looking at the grid. I played a solid round by I better take notice because it won't get any easier as the pins will change places.

22. ivunphstu

ivunphstu Walk On

You finally chose not to take a break?! ;)

I saw you played the third round. Guess you couldn't stop playing. :D

23. Vlad

Featured Threads:
    You going in all 3 tourneys right?

24. StormJr

StormJr Walk On

Pretty happy with my 1st round. 9 birdies and 2 bogeys. Just missed putts on a few more birdie chances.

Winning score should be somewhere around -10/round I think.

25. Dub-ya

Dub-ya Walk On

Vlad only 20 and 21 putts??? Damn son, you must be in somewhere around -20 after two???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.