Discussion in 'The Deuce' started by Muttcope, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Muttcope

Muttcope 2 Own Goals and Counting

Feb 10, 2009

OFFENSE----You need to focus on the QB...EVERY PLAY. If he is in shotgun you need to manually spy on the QB. It doesn't matter down and distance, formation, etc. the QB will take off on any play. Quick routes are thrown 65-70% of the time. You need to be set and ready to go, because you have about 1.4 seconds before the ball is thrown.

DEFENSE. Blitz, blitz, blitz....The blitz will come from anywhere, CB, OLB, and especially the manual saftey blitz. You have to watch him creeping down into the box manually, and coming up the middle. You can beat it if you throw to the vacated spot. Usually done when in man to man coverage. Plays the Saftey postion exclusively.
  2. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Feb 22, 2009
    Like Mutt said, on offense, he makes you pay attention to the QB every play which can take away your attention to other positions if you let it. Stay focused and call good plays while manually spying the QB. UCLA can also throw option at you when you least expect it. Very few rushes up the middle, so you can try to take away outside run first and make him beat you inside. Effective passer that makes adjustments at the line. Mix coverages and audibles to keep him confused, if that is even possible.

On defense, prepare for UCLA to stack the box big time. They mix up what they are doing well, bringing blitzes from all over the place. On passing downs, expect 3-3-5. The big key, in addition to how well UCLA manually plays the safety position, is their 99-ovr DT that sits in the middle of the line. This guy is trouble! Very disruptive. I struggled to get the run going and tried many different looks. If you can adjust on the fly and figure out what UCLA is trying to do play-by-play, you might stand a chance. You gotta keep them on the ropes.
  3. bogey21

bogey21 Walk On

Mar 1, 2009
    These guys both nailed it but I will add a few things that i picked up on..

OFF: Spying the QB is a must, if you are not he will tuck it and run every time. Likes to run the option to the left side of the line, but OM is salty and is good at making adjustments on the fly, so I dont expect this to be the case next time we play.

DEF: You are going to get blitzed every play. Get outrageous pressure from his DE's, user controlled or not. You are going to have to get out of your comfort zone to move the ball, becasue he is going to take away what you do best.