UF, LSU, & ND will dominate...

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Colemanchu, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

UF, LSU, & ND will dominate...

Recruiting that is.
    Both Florida and LSU have home games against cupcake in conference computer teams in week 4, and Notre Dame has 3 home rival games in the first 4 weeks. LSU also has a cupcake in conference game at home week 5.

Ohio St and Wisconsin are fighting it out for the worst recruiting schedule. Wisconsin has a week 1 home game and then they wont be back until week 6. Ohio St only has one non user home game in weeks 3-7.

FSU looks good with home computer conference games weeks 3, 5, and 6.

Michigan has Duke wk 3 and then conference home games wekks 5 and 7.

Army gets 5 straight home games to start the year but has to play 2 users.

Basically the recruiting for this season is going to come down to how many recruits Notre Dame, LSU, and Florida lock down before week 5. I see most users scheduling their visits for studs in week 5.

2. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Interesting...We'll have to see how it pans out.

3. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

There was pretty much no way to un-screw myself this year. It's just going to be a bad recruiting year ... again. I redshirted a few seniors that I might have otherwise let play, just to make sure I don't have both a mass exodus and a bad recruiting year at the same time. It'll be a bit inconvenient at times, but I think it's the smart play given the circumstances.

None of the bonus guys are interested (well, some are, but I'm down the list on any guys I actually want).

There's an ATH I'm top team for, but he's 160 - and probably a corner. I'm swimming in DB's these days. I don't think I'll even compete for him. Looks like a dud.

I need O-Line and D-Line help, so I'll probably try to do as well as I can at those spots, throw a rope around Ohio, and try to find those stud threes again. It's a lot of work, but it can be done.

Got a good tackle in week one, so I'm off and running.

4. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

If I had to guess, most of my recruiting competition will be with Ohio State for the big boys on the line. So at least I'm going up against the other crappy recruiting schedule.

5. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I certainly can't complain about that. With as many rivalry games ND has accoring to EA, I'm not surprised it turned out this way.

Only thing I'd say is that I would rather have these visits in weeks 4-8 than 1-4. I think 4-8 is the sweet spot. Too many times I've had visitors in week 2 & 3, get their bar nearly full and then lose them to someone who has them visit in week 5 or 6.

The other problem is that I'm not in the top 5 for several of the guys I really like. I'm in the top 10. So I need to make up a little ground before I can schedule a visit. That's another reason I like the mid-year rivalry games.

Oh, and even though I got Jello last year, I doubt I have any visitors when Meatchicken comes to town. MSU weekend will probably be huge for me.

All that said, I won't apologize if I get a good recruting class. After going from unranked to 2nd last year, I deserve it.

6. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Rivalry games have been my big issue. I almost asked for some kind of compensation, since the f-ed up and locked schedules give me only one home rivalry game in each of the first two seasons (week 4 last year, and week 12 this year = both awful weeks for this kind of thing). I imagine other guys faced the same trouble, though, so I just kept my mouth shut.

No excuses from the Buckeyes. I'll play you with a whole team of three stars, and I'll give as good as I get. Get those studs now, because I plan to win another championship - and then I'm taking them all. :cool:

7. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Not if I get them first!

8. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I absolutely feel you on this. Last year my only rivalry games were week2 (ND) and week 12(aOSU). I didn't play 1 rival (Minnesota) and was @ my other rival (MSU).

This year I go to ND (not that week 2 is any good for recruiting visits anyway) and I'm still going to MSU (which would be the most ideal visit week for me). I still get you at home, but it's week 13. The one plus is that Minnesota was added to the schedule and I get them home, but not until week 11.

I would guess that I'm going to have to trade some A+ potential visits for some B visits against the likes of Illinois and Purdue just so I can have kids visit before they sign elsewhere.

9. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Dang, maybe I need to pay more attention to my rivalry games and when I bring kids in...

10. wildcatter78

wildcatter78 Walk On

What's a rivalry game? I thought I was suppose to bring recruits in on bye weeks so they had my coaches full attention.

11. jello1717

That's how I do it and I had the 2nd highest user class last year, so that's proof that it works!

Either that or don't bother with visits or calls for that matter. They're both overrated. If your program is good enough, the recruits will come find you. That's my overall recruiting philosophy.

12. wildcatter78

wildcatter78 Walk On

I plan on revitalizing Nebraska's tradition rich walk on program.

13. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Ha! Good one...

14. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Just had a chance to look at my schedule. I'd trade my schedule for anyone's in terms of recruiting.

ND 2010 Schedule
    A28 Purdue
    S4 MICHIGAN (Jello)
    S11 @ Michigan St
    S19 Stanford
    O2 ARMY (Shaun)
    O9 @ Miss St
    O16 @ FLORIDA ST (Amp)
    O23 Pittsburgh
    O30 Navy
    N6 @ UNC
    N13 GA TECH (jmill)
    N20 @ Southern Cal

Week 1 you can't schedule visits. A few guys are ready by week 2, but I'm not about to bring in a bunch of guys when I'm playing Jello. Maybe a couple. Stanford in week 4 is my one week that sets up well, and by then only about half the guys are ready for visits (God, I hope Devin Archie is ready, but I doubt it). I'll hopefully sign 4 or so that week and then watch while everyone catches up on the rest of my guys for the next 5 weeks. I'll probably bring in some guys for the Army game out of necessity, and then Pitt in week 9.

Another way of looking at it is that I have only 3 non-user home games for recruiting.

I'm not complaining, but after signing the #16 recruiting class and having a tough setup for this year, I won't let the "ND has a cakewalk in recruiting" posts go unchecked.

Boy progression did a number though. After being B+ on offense, D, and spec teams last year, I'm now A+ in everything. Thank you progression!

15. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Dont worry LSU will clean up followed by Florida.
    Of course last year at Miami I play at Va Tech early, this year I get them late at home. Oh well thats what happens when you pick a team with more than one user rival.

16. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

:violin:

You must be kidding me. You'll have more home rivalry games this year than I will have by the end of next ... and that comparing my total to your single year. Add the pipelines into all the big football states, from Cali to Florida, to Ohio, to Texas - and ND does have the cakewalk everyone speaks of. Now, many of us have powerful programs with the ability to compete over vast territories, but no one has the reach and the ability to woo recruits that Notre Dame has. It's not even close.

I don't mind. It's realistic. It's fair. I'm just not going to listen to anything that even resembles a hardship story from the Irish. Anyone would trade recruiting setups with the Irish, and would be stupid to refuse.

You're killin' me Smalls.

17. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

So am I just bad at recruiting? I went 12-0 and I signed an identical class to yours last year (which you've been calling a weak class), and I probably finished around the middle of the pack for all users. And I had a way better schedule than I do this year.

As far as the schedule, I'd definitely say in most years I have an advantage in the rivalry game department. Can't deny that. I was just pointing out that isn't the case this year. Week 4 is my only home rivalry game I'll recruit with. Michigan in week 2 is worthless. And every home conference game Ohio St plays will be better for recruiting than my games against Army, Pitt, and Navy (where I'll schedule all my visits).

Be honest, is ND's schedule really significantly better than Ohio State's for recruiting this year? Put yourself in my shoes and try to think about when you'd schedule visits. Other than week 4 vs Stanford, there's no really good option. What week looks good to you?

And yes, I have a lot of pipeline states (Texas isn't one of them), but in almost every one of them I'm facing an in-state user who has the benefit of proximity (which I never have in Indiana). You lose way more of those than you win.

I'm not complaining here, I'm just saying it's very common to see a post like Cole's first one where ND's name is thrown in as having some huge recruiting advantage. I guess it doesn't matter what the rest of the league thinks, but if I end up signing a top 10 class I'll be very proud of it, even if everyone thinks it was a given.

18. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

I dont think we clean anything up this year Cole. We are limited bigtime on spots...more thanks to the cpu.

We have twelve or ten total spots coming open. How does that work with guys leaving to go pro early?

My schedule is nice. I think we should net a few players we really really want.

19. jello1717

Heh. Not only are 2 of my 4 rivals user games, they're AG and Dat. They're also in weeks 2 (too early to have visits) and week 13 (often too late). Factor in the fact that apparently I'll always be going to Michigan State thanx to EA, that leaves me with 1 viable rival home game no more than every 2 years (Minnesota wasn't on my schedule last year).

As for pipeline states, that's up to the recruiter. Michigan has 5 pipelines, but that's just because I lost Illinois this year as I could only find 1 guy worth a damn from Illinois (so maybe it's not a bad thing not having them as a pipeline). For CSU I have Texas, California, and Florida (the big 3). I know I didn't have at least 1 of those last year. For UNC, I didn't have Texas or California last year. I added Cali and came 1 recruit away from adding Texas. This year, the only :5stars: guy interested in me was the #1 HB who was from California. I'm sure that if I didn't purposely add California as a pipeline I would've had 0 :5stars: interested.

Michigan this year is 2 guys away from having a pipeline with AZ, 2 from MD, 2 from NJ, and 2 from SC. If I want any of those as pipelines (Arizona and Maryland are intriguing) it's on me to develop them.

20. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I forgot about the scheduling problems with flipping the home-away. That does stink. Mine all seemed to work for for my annual games (and I have several). Must be a conference issue.

So Ohio St - Michigan is in Ann Arbor again?

21. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'm not intending to overstate the advantage, and it may be overstated quite often. I'm just saying I'd make the switch with you any day. Things may be harder for ND than they are in other years for ND, but that's still a good bit easier than it is for most if not all the rest of us in every year. But again, I'm OSU - I'm not saying I have it bad at all. I'm saying that a bad year for ND is a fantastic year for most. I'll take your bad years over my good ones more often than not.

- I had a good class. I just didn't get the bonuses many of the others did.
    - Yes, you're a bad recruiter :D
    - If Texas isn't a pipeline, I bet Pennsylvania is.

22. jello1717

I don't think it's a conference thing. I'm pretty sure it's only a Big 10 thing and possibly a Pac 10 thing too. I think all other teams are safe.

I'm not sure what it's like for aOSU and Sconsin but here are the games for Michigan that are the same as last year:

Purdue @ home
    @ Iowa
    @ MSU (rival)
    @ Sconsin
    aOSU @ home

I have my Illinois and PSU games flipped like they're supposed to be and I dropped Indiana and picked up Minnesota (rival).

23. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

I got one bonus guy last year in a 12-0 year with home rivalry games against USC, MSU, and BC. I probably do suck at recruiting. Which is ironic given the infamous JBlitz confrontation last year.

I'm just saying look at my schedule THIS YEAR, consider where you'd schedule visits, and tell me it's easily better than yours. There's no way you can.

24. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    If you want to trade recruits, let me know.:)

25. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Ha, no chance.