UGA 26 Ole Miss 24

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Riptides, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Riptides

Riptides Potential Star

Jun 23, 2009
    Well 2nd season and 2nd game down to the wire between the Dawgs and Rebels/Black Bears.

The first quarter was a defensive game as zero points were scored but saw Ole Miss driving. At the beginning of the 2nd Ole Miss put a FG from B. Rose 23 yards out. Dawgs on the first play from scrimmage following the KO went up top to M. Brown fro a 71 yard pass to take the lead at 7-3.
    For the rest of the half the dawgs D and O played pretty well. Dawgs O moved the chains and a 3 yd rush by the FB Ogletree to go up 14-3. On the next possession by Ole Miss. OLB C. Washington stepped in front of a R. Mackey pass and took it to the house from 29 yards out.

The Rebels came right back down the field and connected for 7 on a 8 yard pass from Mackey to Harris (who was almost unstoppable all game).
    After a couplle of INT's on the next two possessions for both teams the dawgs tacked on a FG with no time left to end the half with a 24-10 lead.

3rd Quarter saw no scoring except for a cheap safety in which the Ole Miss CB Pendleton picked off a pas at about the 3 or 4 yard line and his momentum took him into the endzone and out the side and the refs called a safety on him. (There should be a picture of the catch under the game story pics)

Ole Miss D came to play in the 2nd half not allowing the dawgs to get in the endzone. The dawgs had a chance to ice the game and go up by 11 with about 2 minutes left but the FG came up short. This allowed Ole Miss to drive down and with 50 seconds left score from 3 yards out putting them down by 2. The Rebels went for the tie but came up inches short as the pass was completed at the goal line but was ruled not to have crossed.

The dawgs then take a few kneel downs and run out the clock.

Final: UGA 26 Ole Miss 24

Key Stats:

UGA - Murray 10-22 209 yards, 1 TD, 2 Int
    Crowell 56 yards rushing
    M. Brown 85 yards receiving, 1 TD

Ole Miss - Mackey 324 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT
    Scott 20 yards rushing, 1 TD
    M. Harris 145 yards receiving, 1 TD
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Feb 10, 2009

That is how I feel about losing a game due to a programming error.

However it's not as simple as that. Georgia started out on fire, he was making all the right reads, very impressive. I blitzed with zero coverage maybe twice in the entire game and the first time I did it, Marlon Brown manhandled my CB and sprinted downfield for a huge, well-timed bomb. T'was a thing of beauty. We couldn't get them off the field. We started our customary comeback only to be done in by the safety.

My guy catches the interception (great pick BTW) at more like the 2 in my memory (did you watch the replay rip?) and I think it was unlikely I was getting out of the end zone. They had that programmed correctly in the past, so I assumed I was safe there with the momentum taking me into the end zone. Then stared at the screen dumbfounded for quite a long time knowing I had to punt it away. I didn't know what to do or how to react.

So then fast forward to where I was down by 16 late in the game and scored one TD, got the 2 point, and then scored another, and SHOULD have just needed to kick the XP to take the lead, instead I had to go for 2.

I felt my guy was in the end zone on that catch too... God damnit.

Despite all that... Georgia dropped a couple of "sure" INT's and I felt outplayed me overall.