Ugh ... another slider discussion

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Ugh ... another slider discussion

OK, in response to the near-constant bitching about the CPU being too good, I am going to make yet another change in difficulty. After toning down the CPU defense against the pass (a change we have taken pretty big advantage of) I am now going to tone down the CPU offense.

Expect a five point dip in CPU QB accuracy, and a ten point drop in RB ability. That should take care of the broken tackles, and make the CPU miss enough throws to ensure that we never actually have to stop anyone ourselves.

OK, enough busting your collective chops. Bad CPU teams are having more success than they probably should. I'll address it. But keep in mind that a solid CPu, especially one that can run the ball, is about the only way to keep you guys from lighting it up every week. One way or another, I have to keep that clock moving, and keep you guys out of the sixties. With this stuff in place, Sample would have scored 90 last week. That's no fun, either. And since we have opened up the passing game, things are going to elevate big time in the coming weeks, as you guys discover where the holes in the D are and exploit them.

Like it or not, we have to stay beatable. But I think these changes might help cut down some of the public chatter about unfairness, even though we tested and tested this set to death, and now hate it.

2. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

I would not have scored 90..

3. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

I would have scored 120! Biotch!

4. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

looking foward to this Bama game, get you boys higher in the rankings

5. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

I'll always bitch here and there, but I was/am fine with the sliders.

6. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I am fine with the sliders, the only thing that seemed off to me was the rocket LBs, but that was an attempt to balance out the middle of the field issues so it seemed like a fair tradeoff to me. I think we need to realize we will lose games if we aren't careful and stop whining. I mean to be honest with you we should reward good play calling and sound football, not make gambles a regular part of our game. If you gamble you lose. Learn to play defense, and stop someone. I wasn't thrilled I had 4 turnovers in my Purdue game but I realized I took chances that didn't work out, and I got penalized for them. If we all end up undefeated versus the computer something is broke. I personally expect 2 losses this year on my ND team. I feel like I am a pretty good player, but realism and a weak squad are going to result in these losses. If the CPU is not able to beat us then I don't think this will be fun after a period of time.

Also Arch, we agreed not to adjust the sliders during the season. I would like to stick to that, good or bad, it is what we agreed upon when we signed for the restart.

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

OK then. No changes. We did agree on that.

8. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

make sure the other guys agree, because I am only one voice and this is a quasi-democracy. But that is how I feel on the issue. I liked the challenge I faced last week.

9. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

my comment arch is i honestly believe my games, under the current sliders (which are being changed) my scores would be and have been...WAY higher. i end up either passing WAY more (in the 2nd half vs a Boise) or running WAY more (because i never pull away enough to sub and kill clock against a ball state). these games have felt like absolute shootouts. last season, the high scores were mostly nipped in the bud by just telling guys to stop running it up. this year, we'll HAVE to run it up to even have a shot. anyways, i like difficult and don't care either way. but yes, the cpu rb ability is just stupid. stupid. we would all be dead last in run and total defense...no question. thx for the changes.

10. vatechhokie01

my issue with not changin is this...its just not fun. has nothing to do with winning (i have restarted so many personal offline dynasties cuz i didnt lose enough). the game feels stupid. broke. not fun at all. i am absolutely not a bad player. and would love to play anyone to prove that. and these games have been way less fun cuz the cpu is just stupid. its who scores more...period. for my team at least.

i mean did any of you dumb shits watch my highlights? good..freakin..lord. not fun. and yep...im whining like a bitch cuz ITS NOT FUN!!!!

love caps. i know you do.

eat my balls
    heath

11. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

I played an FCS team so I have no idea how the sliders will play, after the bama game, which I will stay up and play tonight after the game, I will have a better thought. I just figured I would comment before I get called out again ;)

12. brucebond

brucebond Walk On

i have a feeling ill lose one of my cpu games this year.

13. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

I just saw that Sample had a QB go 37 for 37 against him. I know we agreed to wait but this is not sim at all. 10 for 10 or hell even 20 for 20 is one thing but 37 for 37 means we need adjusting and we need it now. I hope we lose some games, Oklahoma could very well beat Florida State. I get that. Alabama is probably going to murder me, and they should win 8 out of 10 times with that sqaud but 37 for 37. I vote we tweak.

14. brucebond

brucebond Walk On

37/37 is unacceptable.

15. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

True, but remember that we do have some say in these numbers. Now, it's hard to defend a 37/37 performance, and I'm not going to try, but we should understand that this number would be different against different users. Sample's been giving up boatloads of yards ever since we started. Now, someone should drop a ball at some point, but we can make it pretty easy on the CPU is we don't call a good game.

16. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

sample play some damn defense then

17. vatechhokie01

no defense. and frankly, defenses against the rushing yds, broken tackles, a 37 for 37 performance, and against my-type highlights are lame. tweak.

18. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

IF we tweak, I don't want it to be always moving. This is getting ridiculous, and frankly if we aren't losing something is wrong. There should be 3 undefeated teams in a season MAX. Not 5 or 6, and the others only having lost to users.

19. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

Keep in mind that the tuning update has been in effect since 9/7. This may have fricked with our sliders.

Edit:

What I'm finding:

- I've been able to get stops, but the passing game is tough, especially in the 4th quarter and on the road.
    - There's usually a couple of "what the fuck?" broken tackle moments per game. For instance, a CPU WR screen went awry last game, and I had the opportunity to tackle the player 5-6 yards behind the line of of scrimmage. Instead, the dude broke a group tackle, then another, to get back to the line of scrimmage.
    - Defensively, I think the CPU is challenging enough. The middle isn't always open, and if it is, there's still a chance that a lineman or middle linebacker will jump a mile high to tip. I also feel as though you're given one or two mulligans per game on dropped interceptions. The CPU gets the same gift, though.
    - If someone ever returns a PR for a TD against the CPU, I'll crown them King.

20. vatechhokie01

if i have to say "this isn't about losing" one more time i'm going to punch someone in the dick. its not about losing...these game stats are so far more unrealistic than anything we've had before its ridiculous. and if you disagree with that, you must have graduated from miami of ohio.

21. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

i did....twice

22. vatechhokie01

ftr...i have zero issues with the difficulty of the offense. would even suggest making running more difficult. just believe the cpu offense is broken on about every front it can be broken on. i would rather all of us go 12-0 every single season to have to suffer through these games and the lack of realism involved. ill play and ill write, but ill be depressed and unexcited about it.

and yes, i think there is plenty of other options and slider sets that do more justice.

and no, i do NOT put this on arch. he is doing his damndest with all the bitching (mine included) and his own desires to rectify...i just believe we have all overreacted and tried too hard and now have a set of sliders that again...just not fun

23. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

just gave up 371 yards rushing and 6 td's to USC's Marc Tyler. Lost 55-20. Had a 20-19 lead late into the third and then all hell broke lose.

I got picked off or fumbled EVERY possession in the fourth and Marc Tyler simply couldn't be tackled. Ended the game with 8 turnovers, 5 in the fourth. 5 picks, 3 lost fumbles. USC was picked off twice. Neither team punted.

Fun Fun Fun

24. vatechhokie01

just a little interesting note...andy and i run a simultaneous dynasty on our own sliders. he is uva and he has lost twice through week 5 (to USC and GaTech...he did beat FSU). I am undefeated. The games are fun, low scoring, and reasonable. Maybe a tad easy but very reasonable. He loves em. This is not to start an argument but rather to continue to debunk the idea that we just hate losing. There are reasonable options out there imo.

eat my balls.
    heath

25. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'm beginning to think the tuning adjustments are screwing with us. We tested these sliders quite a bit (actually, they were harder), and they played reasonably well. Tough, but not silly. Now, for some reason I can't quite understand, no one can do anything against them. It can't be a coincidence. I can quote Hokie's "I love the new sliders" posts from back when - and we're using an easier set than those. Something must have changed the dynamic, because now we're just getting abused.

I guess there will be some tweaking. I think there has to be.

The biggest problem I'm having is with the late-game bump the CPU seems to get. In crunch time, they're nearly flawless. That's something I can't tweak. We're just going to have to find a way to counter it.

Here's basically what I want: I like the CPU defense most of the time. It's tough, but fair. I want a CPU offense that is significantly better than us. The reason I want this is because the CPU often makes bad play calls, and I want to offset those drive killers if I can. And I want to punish stat-hunters and over-aggression. I want to make solid play calling an integral part of the game. If I accomplish all this, the guys getting beat most often will be the guys gambling in unreasonable ways (throwing deep 2/3 of the time, or sending six or seven guys after the QB on every third defensive snap - that kind of thing).

Anyway, I'll tweak in a bit, and we'll move to next week and hate something else. :rolleyes: