Unbelievably slow XBL. How do I fix it?

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by jello1717, Feb 8, 2012.

1. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

For the past 3 days my XBL is unbelievably slow and I don't know how to fix it. I'm trying to download my OD file and instead of the 20s it usually takes it's taking around 10-15 minutes to get to about 65% before I finally get a transfer failed. When watching netflix, which is usually in HD, it takes 5+ minutes to buffer, then is the lowest quality, and will only play for about 10 minutes before it needs another 5+ minute buffering. I usually use a wired connection, but I decided to try my old G speed wireless adapter and it was the same problem.

My PC's internet is just as fast as always as are my laptop and ipod's wireless connection. It only affects my Xbox. I've tried the same LAN wire as my PC and, as mentioned, have tried wireless, but to no avail. Here's my speed on my PC right now as I type this:

[​IMG]

Does anyone know why only my xbox is now waaaaaaay slower than even dial-up (15+ minutes to download the OD file is obviously unacceptable and even right now I can't even get in the damned OD because I can't get the OD file download to finish)? xbox.com has been less than helpful.

Shaun Mason

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  2. Bulldog

Bulldog Coach Richt is my Dawg!

Do you use a wireless adapter on your xbox?

That's a pretty slow speed you got there.

3. jello1717

No. I'm using a wired connection. The speed above is good enough for me to download an OD file in about 20s which is perfectly acceptable for me and for me to not have lag in user games. Something's changed now, however, such that I can no longer download the OD file (or watch Netflix) because it would take about 20-30 minutes if it could ever finish (which it can't).

4. Bulldog

Your router may be going bad.

5. Bulldog

Try plugging your computer or xbox straight into your modem and see if its better.

6. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Also reset your network settings on your xbox.

7. jello1717

I have a router/modem instead of a router and a modem so this isn't possible.
    I've done this when monkeying around with my NAT settings and it didn't work.

8. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Talk with your ISP.

Tell them you think you may have a defective device and see if they will replace it. Its not really that common but I've personally had this issue and a new modem fixed the issue.

Im assuming you've tried resetting the device already?

9. jello1717

Yes I've tried resetting it. It's not the ISP's router, it's mine. What would be the problem with the router that could be causing this? I've tried all connections with my xbox and all 4 ports work fine with my PC, but not with my xbox so it doesn't seem like it would be an issue with any of the ports on the router. Also, my wireless works fine with my laptop and ipod, but doesn't work with my xbox so, again, it doesn't seem like it'd be an issue with the router. It also shouldn't be a configuration issue with the router since it has worked fine for over a year until 4 days ago.

10. Keller

Have you tried updating the firmware?

If you're convinced the issue is NOT with your router, then it is either the wire itself or the xbox itself. I know it seems asinine to try a different cable, but have you tried it? I've seen network cards in xbox fail before, so that is also a possible point of failure though admittedly if it works some but is simply degraded, that doesn't really make much sense to me either.

Have you tried setting static IP's for the devices on your network?

11. jello1717

I've tried different LAN cables to no avail. In my NAT settings experiment I tried setting up my xbox with a static IP (but not my other devices) and always allowing that IP for my router, but that didn't work either.

12. Keller

Take your xbox somewhere else like a friends place or something and see how it is there. Logically troubleshoot each piece until you can find the problem.

As I said, if you're dead set on the fact that it is not your router/modem - and also tested different cables, there's really only one culprit left...

13. Bulldog

Yeah your best bet is to call your ISP and have them check it.

Never mind i see its a personal router/modem