UNLV Overcomes 2nd Half Demons With Late TD Against Hawaii

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by vatechhokie01, Jul 17, 2011.

1. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

Jul 17, 2010
    UNLV 31, Hawaii 30

The monkey is off their back. Finally UNLV pulled out a game in the 2nd Half.

Down 14-3 in the first half, UNLV stormed back in the 2nd quarter to tie the game at half, 17-17. And in the 2nd half, things appeared to be headed toward a 3rd 2nd-half letdown as Hawaii played to a 30-24 lead with 2 minutes to go and UNLV backed up to their own 17yd line.

But with a home crowd and the help of starting RB Tim Cornett... wait, nevermind... he was hurt again and remains a huge wienie... well with the help of the home crowd at least, Sophomore QB Caleb Herring and Senior 2nd-string RB Somebody Purvis mounted a late charge, going over 80yds for the last minute score and bringing home the 1st win of the season for the UNLV Rebels and rookie coach Hale.

It was a big win to be sure as it marked the first conference game for the Rebels and came in the face of over 430 passing yds by All-American Hawaii QB Anthony Muniz.

Coach Hale had this to say after the game: "Finally. A win. Bring on the terrible FCS team for win 2. You can tell them I said that. But you can also tell them that if I were them... I'd just tackle Tim Cornett in the first series of plays cuz I'm sure that huge wuss will be out for the rest of the game at that point and they might have a shot."

Things are looking up... or at least interesting in Vegas.