Unsim Encyclopedia

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Jmustang1968, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

• Borrowing this from BlyGilmore because I think it touches on some good points, some things all guys should read. Complaints thus far have been relatively low, but I am starting to see some individual performances get a bit too extraordinary.

Mix up your calls, and don't always rely on your one guy in a pinch. Spread the ball around.

-------
    Tactics and excuses that have been used in real life thus far that are strictly not cool and unsim. This is not intended to point fingers at people, but instead an educational tool demonstrating the kinds of things you should not do, based directly on experiences in TSO Madden Leagues.

It is also not a comprehensive list, but instead a work in progress.

Again, a good question to always ask yourself is "on any given Sunday, would I see a vast majority of the teams in the NFL do this."

Tactics:

• Rarely running, and when you do its all draws.
    • Vast majority of your run plays are bumped outside, even when running dives, draws, isos and blasts. Run the play like it was diagrammed and where it was intended to go.
    • Running the same formation for long periods of time. You rarely see an NFL team come out in the same formation on consecutive plays, let alone many plays in a row or an entire drive.
    • No huddle should be used sparingly.
    • Give the defense a couple of seconds to adjust. Common courtesy.
    • Mix up your defensive formations. Just like the offense, playing Dime all day isn't cool.
    • Use "non-standard" defensive formations in realistic situations. 4-6 against a spread? 5-2 against 5 wide? 3-3-5 against an ace formation? Dime against an I-Formation? That screams "I'm doing something suspect" to be successful. IMO standard, base defenses that can be used in any situation are 4-3, 3-4 and Nickel.
    • Stat whoring. We all know there's XP out there now for players and your team, but you should be playing with that not in your mind. Sim rules still apply - spread the ball around. Vary your playcalling.
    • Be balanced in the run and the pass. The average NFL team ran the ball 27 times last year and threw 34. Only 4 teams threw over 60 percent of the time (and all but one of them sucked). That means, assuming 60 plays, you should be running the ball at least 24 times a game.
    • Dropping back 20 yards. You should be back 10 yards at the most.
    • Rolling out of the pocket excessively.
    • Constant shifting of your D-line and linebackers to try and find holes in the offensive line (the basis of nano-blitzes).
    • If you're up big, go into cruise control. Starting in the 4th, run the clock down. You also really shouldn't pass unless its third down and you're trying to stay on the field.
    • Respecting your opponent outweighs XP gained from a big play.
    • Even worse than the bumping all plays outside move, is the "run it like its supposed to be, until just behind your line, then run parallel with the line of scrimmage outside" move.
    • Audibles and hot routes are for ADJUSTMENTS. They are not a "build your own play on the fly" mode.
    • Just like the no huddle, use bump and run sparingly. And when you do, mix up when it is used. Even though its only 10/12 times a game, bumping and running every third down is not sim. BNR every time you blitz is not sim.

Excuses:

• That's my offense.
    • That's my defense.
    • I saw a weakness and I'm attacking it. Just like an NFL team would do.
    • Team X does it! (Again ... vast majority of teams in the NFL. By our standards the Colts offense under Peyton Manning was not sim. Anything that came out of Mike Martz' head was not sim).
    • I don't have a running team!
    • I don't have a passing team!
    • I can't help it that Player X was matched against Player Y!

• Like Like x 5
  2. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

3. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

I'm praying we don't have a TMFL type situation with stat whoring. Let's hope our guys are smarter than that, but I have a feeling we will see some shattered records.

4. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

From my experience in both leagues I'm in, I'm starting to believe there's a glitch in Madden that doesn't allow people to pick a defensive play on 3rd down, and instead automatically calls man press for them;)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  5. Raidernation

Raidernation I can show you better than I can tell you

Yes indeed, the GMFL way

6. Raidernation

Raidernation I can show you better than I can tell you

Is that so ..... Some plays are designed presses though. You can always play off press against the wrong WR will get you sizzled

7. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

"Stat whoring" has been thrown around in the rookie symposium too, I don't think most people do it purposely, big plays happen and sometimes 4-5 times in a game. I understand the sportsmanship[ and sim aspect of what we do here tho, so yeah it could be perceived as running it up...Good rules tho, they should make this a disclaimer online in the lobbies, and if you violate, XBOX Live banishment

• Like Like x 1
  8. Black Republican

Black Republican TMFL Commish -- **ISYMFS** --

I just noticed this my last game as Andre Johnson was murdering my poor DB, out of some formations calling any sort of man coverage they automatically lined up for press. But with that said the NFL isn't sim. I remember watching RG3's opening drive and they ran about 6 WR bubble screens in a row, flopping from side to side. Darren Sproles got me 35 points in fantasy, why, cause he had like 13 catches lol. My Eagles couldn't tackle a Cornerback in running the Wildcat. Designed QB runs for a multiple amount of teams now. I watched the Eagles/Ravens, Ravens/Pats and a few other games, I looked an each team was in man press I'd say 60% on first & second down. Depending on the down an distance on 3rd, it was like 90%. Simulating the NFL and statistics is hard when the medium is Madden and poor AI. SIM should mean playing with the intent not to abuse AI, while still trying to have fun and replicate what we do see on Sunday's.

I don't know what's going on in TMFL, but our stats don't seem too bad compared to the other leagues I'm in. Where TE's reign supreme, Rice is on pace to beat a few rushing records, but I know I try to limit his touches to 20. Passing looks pretty good, receiving isn't bad, just defense there are quite a few studs getting after the QB. But hey, back to passing you guys with the 100+ QBRs you gotta start throwing in to double coverage more often! Last 3-4 years only 3-4 QBs finished with 100+ QBR. HOF QBs Brees, Brady & Rodgers. LOL, lets have fun fellas, the GMFL way as Raidernation said. If there is a problem, pause the game and fix it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

Three Rookie QB's are leading the top teams in the league, Bobby Griffin 3rd, Andy Luck, and Ryny Tannehill....Random thought

10. Black Republican

LOL, I'll trade you Ryan for Rodgers..

11. DaveIV82

DaveIV82 Walk On

Everyone I have played so far has been fairly balanced. I do not care if someone is beating me consistently running or passing as I need to learn how to better adjust my play calling to counter. I have been working at adjusting my defense and had a better game (finally!) against Qui3tStorm

I chalk the stats against me more about my lack of skill/experience than the other player trying to rack up stats.

Now I need to work on my offensive play calling (pun intended). :p

12. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

You must of just chiefed a O of that Presidential, HAHAHAHAHA....I had an awakening last night...Rodgers can make a subpar Madden player such as myself look like a superstar, so hell naw, i need that dude to help me get in the playoffs.

13. bigrice25

bigrice25 Walk On

Ya, ive noticed my guys Jam at the LOS on some plays even though i dont hot route them too... even in some zone coverages.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BigTyme21

BigTyme21 Walk On

Well I cannot really speak for others but I can deal with the limitations that are on some plays on the offense but what about defensively also? I mean when you are constantly being blitzed what are you supposed to do on offense? This is not me complaining or anything but there have been times where blitzes have came almost throughout an entire series.

For the few that I have played on this site, and the ones I have played before, pretty much know that I prefer a ball control attack. With passing being set up by the run. Now some might think that running wide with your halfback is not sim but I rotate my backs about every three or four possessions and they both have similar stats in my main categories.

------------- OVR PHY DUR SIZ SPD STR AGI ACC ELU
    Bradshaw-- 86--93-- 71-- 97--92--68--94---96--89
    Wilson------ 76--90 ---89--96--94--65--93---90--88

Now some stats are better in some categories than others but those are a few. I am just putting this out because one could be mistaken for the other based on their stats.

The issue with individuals utilizing glitches in Madden have always been around. IMO if you are in a game and there is something suspect going on by your opponent, communication should be first and foremost. If your opponent doesn't really know/see that they are doing something wrong then they may not stop it. This has happened to me in a game and I stopped running wide as I was accused of. But a lot of my plays look similar due to the formations and type of plays.

I don't think that anyone that I have played have purposely used illegal tactics but if things aren't going your way at the time, one might think it of their opponent. I strongly suggest the use of a mic during games to help alleviate some issues that could come up. Whether you have to answer the phone, and your opponent hits A to resume game, or letting someone know of a potential glitch they are doing. You don't have to have to your mic on to talk but having an earpiece in your ear could be very helpful when an issue comes up from your opponent. I keep mine on and if my opponent doesn't talk then I just have it muted.

If for some reason my opponent feels that I am doing something wrong, let me know so I can adjust my play. IMO the game is just that a game. And we all want to have a personal enjoyment out of it. But unless there is a tie, someone has to lose.

As for me, I like to win just as much as the next person but if I lose I congratulate my opponent gracefully and move on. Hopefully this post wont offend the veterans or other members here because this is my first league here. And hopefully it won't be my last. Win or lose, I prefer to play against individuals that are respectful to the game instead of lobby rats living their lives through Madden.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DaveIV82

DaveIV82 Walk On

I have noticed the same of my guys

16. Black Republican

Yea, as I mentioned before my guys will come out in press coverage even when its zone or man.

With a SIM league, and the amount of time and energy we all put forth towards this game and site, I assume we are all avid football fans before madden fans. That said everyone should have some sort of knowledge of how football is played. Football is great because its a game of strategy, madden adds this plus user skill. I've experienced in this Madden an years past that individuals with a lower understanding of football (nothing wrong, or not making fun) they play quick games or play their franchise. They develop the money plays that work for them, and if their opponent is able to stop their $$$ plays they must be cheating or abusing something.

The ability to read and adjust isn't there. Again different cases don't apply, as BigTyme said, if you're being nano blitzed all game this is a big ridiculous. As on offense if you keep running the same over load slants etc... But IMO to even be in this league this isn't you. These kids are playing Ranked Games trying to get their "points" up.

BigTyme you make a point of bouncing runs to the outside. But people have to understand not every running back is built to run between the tackles. LeSean McCoy doesn't do work off the guards. Reggie Bush got criticized his whole career and so on. I know when I play a team like Greenbay or Dallas, I'm going to seriously limit the amount of runs I try to the sides of Ware & Matthews, playing the 49ers I'm not expecting to jam up on Willis & Bowman. As BigTyme said just because something isn't going your way doesn't translate to unsim play. Communication is key if you believe there is a serious issue with gameplay. In all seriousness I have yet to see a play on either side of the ball that is down right unstoppable. EA did a good job addressing the AI issues this year I think.

• Like Like x 1