Update and vote

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Mags, Dec 3, 2009.

?

Offseason option

1. Everything

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nothing

100.0%
  1. Mags

Mags Former MEGA PC Commish

Update and vote

All,

Just an update to get us rolling into whatever this offseason will bring...

First and foremost, congrats to the 49ers and mgaddy on winning the MEGA BOWL, our first on the PS3 platform.

I'll do a full update this weekend, but wanted to get this vote up so we know where we are heading for the offseason. Here are two options we'll put up to a vote. After talking with a few people, we're either going to something or nothing to put it mildly.

1. Full offseason - The plan would be to use LeaguePulse for tracking, similar to the way we would do a PC offseason. We would have resign and FA rules, salary cap, cap penalties, roster requirements, all of the good stuff. Along with that, the draft, rookie salary scale, trading, etc..

Pro
    * We operate as normal
    * Salary cap rules and all that stuff in effect

Con
    * It will take a lot of time to set up as we have absolute crap from EA. I'll have to be able to pull all of the data from the OF website, set it up in LP, create the FA rules, etc...
    * Time - see above
    * No editor - every single move will have to be processed manually

2. We do nothing - We go with what EA gave us. We'll have rookie scouting, a draft, trading and a FA period, but there will be no requirements around FA, 'salary cap', etc...

Pro
    * Easy to manage
    * Gets us back to gaming MUCH quicker

Con
    * No FA system, cap, and all of the stuff we are used to

---------------------

People have suggested a hybrid approach or just incorporating some things but as I think about it, what's the point. We either go full steam ahead, or we don't. There's no point half-assing a system where we'll have little participation, etc... Trading and the draft will be enough for the offseason. It gets us back to gaming in short time. On the flipside, we can do a full offseason. There are a number of guys who really like that aspect of the game . With so much missing (actual salaries, player morale, player preferences, holdouts, etc...) we'd be bastardizing so much that it isn't worth it.

So, please vote, but also post some comments. I have the time to do either process, whether in LP or just go ahead with nothing. Let me (and everyone else) know what you think.

2. Stykman

Stykman RC & MEGA Historian

3. Go back to '08 PC Version:)

* Pros - We get all our shit back

* Cons - We get all The Shit back

But seriously, if every move were to processed Manually, and with No Editor, there's no garuntees that things will go the way we want anyway. I LOVE the Offseason aspect of the game, but I think we're fucked on this one.

I say, just close your eyes, and jump. Why make extra work for someone(Mags), just go with what we've been given and move on.

3. stealth

stealth Walk On

I am with styk I love the offseason but this version is going to make it more of a hassle then its worth and I think big delays will lead to straying owners

4. hoytpower

hoytpower Walk On

Were not in Kansas anymore it seems. Whatever is the easiest route is what i'm good with. Its all diffrent than the PC so lets just roll with the CRAP they gave us to use. I agree also that the offseason on the PC was one of the best parts of the league.

5. coachgaddy

coachgaddy Mega 49ers, OMFL Pats

It sucks that we wont have a complete offseason but we dont need the extra work and with owners possibility dropping in and out the manual process of updating will be off at times. I say do nothing.

This is the first year of Madden Online Franchise and I would not say ea strewed up yet. This years franchise is a beta version and I fully expect EA to come back full force next year meeting the demands of the public.

Also we should get all the new owners signed into the franchise before the advance just in case EA blocks this option from happening during the offseason.

6. scarface

scarface Walk On

You are wrong Gaddy this is NOT the first year they have done online franchise more like the 3rd or 4th because on the PC we had it back in 2001 and 2002 versions and it had EVERYTHING. draft... cap ....trades.... even the draft was on there and it worked quite good sure some tweaks were needed but it was usuable.
    the problem is on a console you have limited space and therefore they dont add more stuff to a game so they wont use up that space.

THEN EA said no one was using online franchise and took it away and gave PC users the ability we have had since the spawning of games.

BTW I LOVE when I get to say I told ya so... BUT I TOLD YA SO ON THIS CAP STUFF!!

you can apologize when ever you guys feel like doing so.

As was said the offseason on PC was great we had trades, stadium stuff we could adjust, ticket prices.
    To those who never played madden on PC, I guess "you cant miss nuttin you aint neva had" as was once told to me by a wise old man. so you guys dont know how fun it was or can be.

7. Big D

Big D Walk On

I have to be honest, this is really sad.

I came into this league expecting it to be great, with us basically having a sim GM side to the game. The doing nothing option that currently everybody wants.....really what is the point to that???? Why not just play on EANet and hope you find sim players?

This is bad, and I think long term you are really going to hurt your league. I can't see it lasting without some serious GM stuff.

This is really going to put the OMFL heads and shoulders above MEGA.

8. scarface

scarface Walk On

well there are other leagues you could play in SD, the fact remains EA, NOT MEGA fucked this up and I am sure Mags and the RC have gone around circles trying to figure SOMETHING out but it didnt materialize.
    Maybe going into season 2 we could get something done, but it still SUCKS that EA SCREWD THE POOCH on this stuff and claim they did gamers a great service.

9. Big D

Big D Walk On

Well look instead of just complaining I'll try to come up with a solution. Since it would be a lot of work I WILL BE WILLING to set up a salary cap and keep track in speadsheets or on league pulse.

In my view.....we REALLY need at MINIMUM a salary cap and some kind of free agency and trading restriction rules in place. I mean really, we need SOMETHING. Come on guys! I'm busy but I'd be willing to set this up and get us rolling with it.

Please again, at MINIMUM let's set up a salary cap with some basic free agency and trading regulations.

10. Mags

#1 - it's not a competition...

#2 - At one game per week, OMFL may, MAY get into a 3rd season - not a lot of time for things like player development and contracts to have any impact.

#3 - We used to play 5-6 seasons on the PC, with carryover players into the next year version of the game. It actually MEANT something.

#4 - I don't think having a 2 game per week pace with hurt us at all, with the primary focus being that we are playing a game. An offseason would take us at least month to do properly with the lack of options we have now. That's a long time NOT to be gaming. We used to knock out a FULL offseason on the PC in about 2 weeks.

#5 - We aren't doing anything half-assed in terms of an offseason. There is no reason to force arbitrary player movement for the sake of creating movement.

#6 - If you seriously think you are going to compare playing here to EASO, I suggest you resign.

11. Big D

Big D Walk On

Like I said, I'd be willing to set it up and use my time to put something in place and run it if other people are too busy.

Also I can't resign because I haven't got re-invited yet :)

By the way OMFL is mapped out to be done with our third season by the time Madden 11 ships. Nate's mapped it out nicely.

12. Stykman

Stykman RC & MEGA Historian

With all due respect Seth, I believe you misunderstood the vote and the question. It was meant to be All or Nothing.

Just having a Salalry Cap wouldn't be what we'd want. That would be Half-Assed. We would want to do everything we did over in LP. Forgive me for asking, but, Do you know what League Pulse is? Because unless you are Brad or Mags' twin, I'm gonna bet you didn't go to school for what those guys did. And I'm gonna bet once you see what LP is, you will just say, "Oh...OK", and leave it alone.

As far as OMFL goes, they do what they want, and we do what we want. They are a great league, and it's great to have choices out there.

I said what I said originally about making more work for Mags because I KNOW what goes into this. I KNOW what it would take to do everything Manually. I KNOW that it wouldn't even come CLOSE to what we ultimately want. The bottom line is, if we can't have it all...why make a shitload of work to have some.

We played 3 games a week. A Season was completed ever 6 weeks. Offseasons were done in 2. 2 Rounds of FA Signings, Draft, Mini Camps, Basically FULL Offseasons. Throw in as many of the 4 PreSeason Games as you could, if you choose to. We played 6...SIX Seasons Each Version. THAT's How you Grow Talent. We even Carried over Players from version to Version!!!

We have Trades...we even have rules on limits. And a Voting Process on trade approval.

We will have a draft. Allbeit will suck already knowing what you are going to get. With LP we were able to scout players, and didn't know how they would turn out until we signed them.

As far as Free Agency goes, no one really uses it anyway, as most teams hoard thier good players anyway. The FA Pool is worthless for the most part.

"You can't see this league lasting without some serious GM side?"

I'll tell you this...we've basically survived since July without a Game.

13. Big D

Big D Walk On

I've seen league pulse and I know exactly what it is. Through February I'm just coaching no broadcasting so I have the time to run it. That is what I am saying.

Ok....here is me offering up myself to bear the brunt of all of this work....and yet you guys STILL don't want to do it? I don't understand.

You show me exactly what you did, and give me a week and I'll have it ready to go.

Don't believe me? Well then don't but you are losing an opportunity here.

14. Mags

It has nothing to do with 'being able' to do it or not. I have most of the work done in Excel and ready for LP (minus progression information) already. I've written VBA code to pull it all together with button clicks. That's not the issue.

The question is, either we go with an arbitrary offseason system or we don't.

15. coachgaddy

coachgaddy Mega 49ers, OMFL Pats

Is it a possibility of showing us what it would look like Mags. Maybe that would be needed for people to consider changing there stance.

16. Big D

Big D Walk On

Ok Mags,

But your argument at first was that it was a ton of work. That is the main reason everybody is voting against doing a full offseason.

What I'm saying is that I will gladly throw you all the help needed so that its not nearly as much work for you.

If the workload is people's only reservation (and from all the comments it seems like it is) hopefully me being able to help run things in LP would be the decider. I think everybody probably would want a good offseason structure if we can go it without throwing a huge workload at somebody.

Am I right or wrong here?

17. Mags

It would be in LeaguePulse, everything we would normally had only with a point system instead of a dollar system (as spelled out in the forums earlier). but I don't think that'll sway anyone's decision.

18. Big D

Big D Walk On

Well if a few owners like Mags and myself are willing to put in a lot of work on this, I still think its sad that everybody just votes on 'nothing' for the offseason. Sigh.

Whatever. I've made my arguments, I've offered my servies, but if that's not enough then I give up. I'm not going to expand any more effort when people are so fundamentally against doing anything differently.

19. Gotham

Gotham Walk On

I voted for everything. As much as I want to get back to playing, I really enjoy GM'ing. I won't be that upset if we go the "nothing" approach since I know that it's mostly about working with what we have, and hopefully things're better in Madden 2011.

20. gt86

gt86 Walk On

i voted for everything because that's what I want but I can go with nothings aswell whatever is easiest on Mags because he's the one that puts in all the hardwork not us owners.

21. trutest

trutest Walk On

I vote for PC to make a huge comeback with next gen graphics and a online franchise mode that has everything!!!

22. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

i voted for NOTHING! i figure we can try it with nothing for 1 season and then vote again next year after we see what the offseason EA is offering has to offer even though it seemingly sucks donkey ----. if we put or (Mags) puts all kind of time into it and it winds up being a waste of time i think that would suck. The NFL might have a salary cap free season coming up anyways so we might actually be more realistic then we think!!! i also tihnk that since we have mostly all user owners with a RC things should balance out at least for our 2nd season until we decide one final vote next season.

*the Megabowl runner up who nobody remembers has spoken! =-)

23. PoloMD

PoloMD Walk On

I voted for nothing, it is a lot of work for mags, but i think we could at least set some rules about contract lenght, trading and salary cap.

24. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

I voted nothing but only because I feel that is what the majority wants and I am a lemming.

In reality I think Mags original suggestion for free agency + cap costs looked workable. I was partial to my idea posted in another thread - but I'd be agreeable to whatever people decided as long as it accomplished these 2 things:

1. Reasonable ability to resign a few core guys each year.
    2. Simplicity - - not too much work for owners or the commish.

25. Luis

Luis Walk On

I would like a full offseason, but I know Mags would have a lot of work. So I'll be ok with whatever Mags choose, after all he didnt err much the last few years.