Update on NCAA, EA lawsuit for player likeness

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Drifterbub, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Sam-Keller-NCAA-video-game-lawsuit-021311

2. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

3. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I hate this fvckin' dude! He's really fvckin' up the mojo[​IMG]

4. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    If he wins, I am driving to Arizona and kicking his ass.

• Like Like x 3
  5. tuco418

tuco418 Older and wiser than you

Keller is a douchebag begging for attention that he can no longer generate on his own merit. I would think that certain details regarding a player will be gone next season, such as their hometown.

6. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

THIS

It always pisses me off to hear student athletes who have are given upwards of a $100,000 education bitch because they don't make money off of college football. Well then the NCAA if he wins this lawsuit should go after every former NCAA player who accepts money for reimbursement for their tuition costs.

7. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Your avatar is nasty.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I can see both sides. A free education at some school may close in on 100k, but generally that isn't the case. That's besides the point, though.

The NCAA makes BILLIONS every year off of student athletes. I'm not sure it's a mutual relationship at all. I think the article's hinting at some sort of pension is a good idea.

There doesn't seem to be a right answer at this point. Maybe the pension should be setup to help out the busted ass public school systems these kids come from.

9. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

The worst part of this thread is that I thought someone was referring to me for a second. I was like, WTF?

I like Drifter's idea of sending some of the proceed's to the public school systems where the kids are from - not that it will help if it isn't used correctly.

10. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

just let this case die already

11. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Keller wouldnt have cried if he made an NFL team. You needed to practice more man. Dont get mad now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I understand that the NCAA does make a lot of money off of student athletes, but these schools also pay out a lot of money in scholarships. I mean these kids make out like bandits. Most of these major schools cost $30,000+ a year for what these kids are getting. IMO its just a case of someone banking so much on making a career out of playing football that he didn't much care about his studies and now that it didn't pan out for him, he is looking for his pay-day. These college football players need to realize that an education is much more valuable than the football they play. Granted some of these kids do find their payday in the NFL and make a career out of it but it is a very small percentage of them. Some of these kids should look at Myron Rolle and others like him who valued their education over football. The average NFL career, I just googled, is only 3 1/2 years, if I were in one of their shoes I would bank everything on that.

13. CoachRedd

CoachRedd I come through in something real foolish

Taken directly from nflplayers.com...

"The average length of an NFL career is about 3 and a half seasons. Although there are some exceptional players who have long careers that extend 10 or twelve seasons and beyond, most players only stay active for about three seasons. Players leave the game because of injury, self-induced retirement, or being cut by the team. This also means that while players may make more money than most people, they are only making it for an average of three and a half years. To make sure they are successful in the future, players must invest their money well and make plans for another career when they can no longer play football."

• Like Like x 1
  14. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

Problem is most of them are idiots and leave school early. They don't know how to manage money. I have no problem with the NCAA making bank off these idiots. Most don't have to do anything while they are at the school. They rarely show up to classes and are given passing grades for the most part. The athletes use the NCAA to try to make it big. I see nothing wrong with the NCAA using them to make money while try are doing it. And I'm referring to football/basketball players.

15. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

"They're whole game is realism. Realism is the opposite of creative expression."

- AP is really slipping lately. Seriously, even working for the college newspaper, the editor wouldn't have missed this butchering of apostrophe usage.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I kill the apostrophe. Teach me thy ways?

17. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Well... I get it... I mean, I see people destroy it all the time and I'm sure I make the occasional mistake; the difference is we aren't journalists or editors. The smartest businessmen I know have trouble spelling and sure as hell can't type 100 wpm. That's the job of a secretary. If it's a person's job, he or she should be able to do it!

Do i get annoyed when I see a business that has a sign saying "tire's?" Sure. But in the end what does it really matter? They're not working for the Associated Press, I guess.