Urban Meyer Speaking Out

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by bdub, Feb 14, 2011.

1. bdub

bdub Walk On

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Gotta agree with you here. I've been a Meyer fan since he was coach at BGSU. I just hope my program is one of the goos ones he talks about. Personally, I think it's a good program with an impossible amount of outside influence to properly police. I see Tress running a clean show (he wouldn't buy a player, I don't think) but the kids are just such celebrities that there's no way to keep them completely away from possible bad influences. Chizek, on the other hand, was hired because he would buy players, while Tuberville wouldn't (which was why he was fired). Auburn is hella-dirty, and I bet there are many more, but the key for me is whether or not I think the program turns a blind eye to the dirt. I can support my team through even a series of bad decisions by players. But if the program is part of the problem, then I couldn't stay a fan. I think that's consistent with what Urban was saying.

3. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

One of the "great coaches who are still coaching...and have to suffer in silence" has to be JoePa. Him and Urban have spent alot of time together in the past 4 months and given Joe's past crusades against the Jackie Sherrill's and Barry Switzer's of the world I am sure he had a few words to share with Urban. Who in the Big Ten is dirty? I mean it is possible that Illinois could be, or even Michigan but if anyone else is they aren't cheating very well.

4. bdub

bdub Walk On

Considering how high profile Ohio State is and the pressure they are under to perform, I think Coach Tressel is a great coach and seems to be a great guy. I would love to hear what Joe Pa, has to say about the situation.

I found it really interesting how it seemed he was basicly saying that the teams in the SEC are getting away with stuff that teams in other conferences are not.

5. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I guess you were able to read between the lines easier than I could because I didn't get that vibe. I think he was speaking rather broadly and alludes to a nationwide consensus of under represented coaches trying to do things the right way.

6. bdub

bdub Walk On

I agree for the most part, but the part were he says "You tell me how a young man who is a wide reciver (Dez Bryant) and he lied to the NCAA and they took away his eligibility and he was never allowed to play again. And then there's violantions in other areas of the country and that doesn't happen". Pure specuation but I wouldnt doubt if he wasnt referring to Cam Newton.

7. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

It could just as easily refer to the situation at Ohio State. The NCAA has become very lenient in it's handling of issues.

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'm not sure about that. I will say that the NCAA let those guys play in the Sugar Bowl (and I bet they leaned on Tress to play them) solely for the money, but five games is five more than Cam had to sit. I think Meyer's reference to Auburn is pretty clear, especially since Cam was a Florida guy who essentially got kicked from the program for being a dirtball - only to return as a "hero" at another school. Urban's not saying it ... but he's saying it, if you ask me.

Anyone surprised by the lack of news coverage? Any guesses as to why ESPN isn't running the story? Maybe it's just not newsworthy. :cool:

9. bdub

bdub Walk On

I found it very intersting as well that this is easily found on every sports site except for espn. Just another example of why I never go to ESPN for news.

10. bdub

bdub Walk On

I agree the NCAA has become very very lenient in the handling of these sort of issues. In the end something huge is going to come out and make the NCAA look a lot worse than they already do.

11. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

You see a clean program, and I see one where people broke the rules and got a slap on the wrist. The key thing to remember in the Cam Newton deal is that he never admitted to doing anything. I dislike Cam Newton as much as the next guy but in the end he didn't admit to selling anything, or receiving anything. That is different than the OSU deal.

I am not saying Urban claims it was Tressel's fault, but rather he was implying it as a case where, in comparison to the Dez Bryant deal or the Jeremy Bloom deal, they were sending mixed signals. The NCAA is saying "It is okay for US to make money and do what is best for OUR business, but you cannot." Letting Pryor et al. play, letting Cam Newton play was a sound business decision for them so they made it happen. Now is it Tressel's fault that the NCAA made that ruling? No, and he made a decision that was best for his team.

12. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Not in this league but just wanted to say Urb is a terrible f'n leader and shouldn't speak on anyone else.. the last time I checked he had about 20 players arrested during his short tenure at Florida... 20 players!.... not even the 'great' Tressel can keep up with that pace... I wish people stop crowning this f'n dude... he did some things at Utah, good job beating up on weaker opponents 95% of the time... and he only succeeded at Florida with one of the greatest college football players in recent history... guy is feeling himself a little too much IMO

13. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Paterno has had 25 players arrested in that short of a time. Does that mean Joe was a terrible leader? Nope, just that a number of factors came into play that 20-30 years ago didn't happen.

14. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Honestly, it does make him a terrible leader by losing control of his team. It makes him a terrible person for making such terrible judgement on players. It makes him terrible for choosing to win football games instead of getting good kids in the program. A definition of a leader is leading by example, motivating those who follow you to better themselves. If a leader/coach cannot motivate players to become better people, something that used to be the backbone of school athletics no matter the level, then they are deemed terrible leaders in my book. Forget how many games you win. Its the effect you have on these kids lives. A leader is more than a guy calling in the plays.

I'll leave this thread alone before I knock it off track. :unwatching thread:

PS- And I'm not saying Paterno is a terrible coach nor should he be able to control someone's actions but most of those 46 charges happened in mass environments meaning 10 or more players were involved at a time, so the numbers are a little stretched. Most of Urb's issues were seperate issues.

15. bdub

bdub Walk On

I see were you are coming from Easy. Cam Newton clearly lied about not knowing what his father was doing and there are clearly holes in his story. If we as outsiders can see the holes in his stories how does the NCAA not see it? That was what I was thinking Urban may be talking about.

16. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

All programs are not the same. Blaming player character issues on a coach is pretty silly. There are instances in which coaches know a kid's history and offer them anyway (RichRod leads this group) but any time you put a hundred kids together, regardless of background and past history, things are going to happen. Ay schools where more opportunity to screw up exists, kids are going to screw up more. It's much easier to keep control of a team when you play in Idaho as opposed to South Beach.

Coaches can't be blamed for arrests unless they happen in a repetitive way over time. JoePa had some trouble recently, including an incident in which a bunch of his players stormed a party, beat up a bunch of kids, and severely injured a few people. That's not on Joe. Bobby Bowden seemed to have issue after issue for years and years in a row, so those issues are probably on him. Tress deals with agents and such crawling all over his kids and trying to give them money. It's what happens when you run an NFL farm team. His job is much harder than most, and he can't be blamed the same way the Michigan State coach can when things go wrong. More opportunity for bad choices = more bad choices. Not a whole lot the coach can do about it, but some are obviously trying harder to combat these things than others.

I wonder how many of us would have been viewed as "bad kids" had our 19 and 20 year old decisions been the subject of national news. My record would have gotten me tossed off any team in the country, even Auburn. If you guys never got a DUI or got in a fight, feel free to talk about bad leaders and bad kids. Otherwise, I think we should remember that we're talking about people who only barely qualify as adults, if they qualify at all. We can't exactly judge them like we do the middle aged folks down the street.

17. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1161606/index.htm

Even the best can't control what happens sometimes.