Urban Myer's Spread Option

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by bdub, Dec 16, 2010.

1. bdub

bdub Walk On

Interesting article on the Spread Option and how it came to be. Also some interesting insight into Urban Meyer's coaching philosophies.

http://www.footballtimes.org/Article.asp?ID=217

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I went to Bowling Green for a couple years. Being from Toledo, the BG-TU is the local sports rivalry that everyone pays at least some attention to. I remember when Urban was coach, and Josh Harris was a putting up those stats. It was seriously impressive, and you could get into the games for nothing. I saw a lot of good football back then. Seems like the was a MAC team ranked every year for a while there. Saban at Toledo, Meyer at BG, Pennington and Moss at Marshall (before the jump to C-USA) - it was a good time to watch the MAC. Been pretty down lately.

3. bdub

bdub Walk On

In 2004 when he was at Utah, he made our offense so dominating I could hardly believe my eyes. Utah hasn't been a horrible team in a long long time but they were hardly the team they became under Meyer. Its amazing how a coach can turn a mediocre team into a power house.

I think the biggest thing about the spread offense is how it can neutralize a defense with superior talent. He taught the coaches at Utah to recruit speed over anything else and in the spread offense speed is deadly. Utah doesnt have near the talent level as a team like 'bama but they showed them up on the field due mostly to their superior speed.

A lot of people have a problem with Meyer but I for one think he is a great coach and he seems like a pretty good guy to. I hope he comes back to coaching sooner than later.