US gets a pretty favorable World Cup draw

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by BlyGilmore, Dec 4, 2009.

1. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

US gets a pretty favorable World Cup draw

Not sure how many folks were paying attention, but the World Cup draw was today.

The US went from "uhoh" to one of the two favorites to come out of their group in a short period of time.

Our first game will be against England - who have been on fire the past several months. But we also got Algeria (last team to qualify out of Africa) and Slovenia (won of four teams to win playoff matches to qualify out of Europe) - which is certainly a favorable draw.

Mexico got almost the opposite. They got drawn into the group with South Africa to start, but then watched as Uruguay and France joined them.

Group of death? How about Brazil, Portugal and Ivory Coast (who some thing might be the first African team to challenge for the World Cup) joined by North Korea.

2. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I'm really excited about this coming world cup. I really enjoyed the last one.

3. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite lines from Superbad.

For those that don't know the movie:
    A high school kid is playing soccer during PE class when his best friend (who's not in the class) runs onto the field and starts talking with him. They just stand there in the middle of the field talking while everyone else plays around them. Finally, one of the kid's teammates says something to him so he'll get back to playing.

Greg the Soccer Player: What the fuck Evan we're down two points!
    Evan: Fuckin' calm down Greg, it's soccer! It's soccer!

That pretty much sums up my opinion as well! :bangnana:

4. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

YES! Good stuff... hahahaha

GO MEXICO FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Sorry Bly I missed this thread. I'm very happy with the draw the US got. We should get through comfortably and I even feel confident that we could pull a 1-1 or so draw with England if we play well.

That group of death will be dangerous. I really feel that Portugal will be the odd team out in that group. Ivory Coast is VERY good. As a matter of fact I'm going to check the odds on them winning the group. Could be a good bet.

6. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

btw another interesting sub-plot is in three of the pots you have countries who were formerly colonies of another country in the pot.

England and US
    Portugal and Brazil
    Spain and Honduras and Chile.