US Open - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Jon Carroll, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

Well, since the Masters the numbers have dropped a bit - especially the PS3 side after the PSN debacle.

Just thought it would be good to start drumming up the hype for next weeks Major. Who the runners and riders are, peoples thoughts on Pebble Beach, winning scores ? etc etc.

Hopefully we can get the numbers right back up there for what is sure to be one of the biggest tournaments of the season.

I do believe that Vlad ( @xyzvld22 ) is back.... good to see him back, bad for the field, but time his 100% record was toppled. Can @Dub-ya finally be the bride and not the bridesmaid ?! :p Can i actually be consistent for 4 rounds or will we have a new winner !?

As a course, i like pebble beach. I feel the wind is what is going to really determine the scoring. The course is extremely accessible if the wind doesn't blow. However, with some massive elevations, open cliff shots and small greens - if the wind blows in the 20's it can get extremely difficult to make birdies.

So many questions to be answered....

2. Dub-ya

Dub-ya Walk On

For the record, I HATE this course. The small greens become almost impossible to hit consistently IF the wind is blowing, and being on the coast.....it often does. It'll be fun, but it's going to take very precise shots and meticulous course management if the winds are whipping up......IMHO

3. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

Yeah. I agree. Depending on what weather people get and when will play a large part in who wins this. I hope the wind does get up, will make for some more reasonable scoring, as opposed to the last fee weeks.

4. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I think all you need to do is look to the Tradition Cup standings to see who the clear favorites are this week. The course is tough, weather pending, so that does normalize things a bit. I wouldn't be at all surprised with a top 5 made up of ajtev, cazz, dub-ya, xyzvld, and a wild card. I think SOMEONE will step up next week to take our 2nd major of the season!

5. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

I sure as hell hope so! ;)

6. makinpropel

makinpropel Go Big Red!

I'm hoping to build off my best tournament so far, and possibly finish in the top 10

7. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

I predict that makin will make a move and finish in the top 3 at the US Open. Mostly due to him having an awesome flight captain.

• Like Like x 2
  8. uncleho

uncleho Walk On

I've never even played this course. I am looking forward to Round 1 and my 90.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Pebble is a fun course. Play some practice rounds to learn some of the positioning. It is VERY easy to hit shots to hit them, but end up screwing yourself by leaving a bad approach angle. Always watch where the pin is and try to set up a shot that gives you the most green to work with. Small greens for sure.

10. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

i haven't played tiger in like 3 weeks. think i better pop it in over the weekend and shoot a few practice rounds to avoid putting up a 100 in round 1

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

@Basis4aDay56 - Sir, a little off topic, but can i get my hole in one trophy for Royal Melbourne ?! I played with Dub-Ya who can confirm it and i also have a screenshot on the iPhone.

12. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

Weather forecast so far looks to be mild and sunny with winds around 7-9mph each day.

13. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I bet I won't finish in last. boomshakalaka!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Certainly! I missed it entirely since I was away, but congrats dude! If he noted it in a post, just link me to the post.

15. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

It's on page 2 of the crown royal results thread. If you can't find it, I'm sure @Dub-ya will confirm it again :)

16. Dub-ya

Dub-ya Walk On

17. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

So are you saying, you are beating me? That seems to be fighting words. ;)

18. BDSDIGITAL

lol. I should be around +25 I would imagine.

19. BDSDIGITAL

But may we can both beat Noles :)

20. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Get some practice in BOYS! Second major is almost here!

21. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Flight captains ONLY, please post the scores below! I'll update this thread twice daily with round results. Good luck!

***In the event of a 72 hole tie, for the US Open there will be an 18 hole match to decide the winner. Standard Match Play scoring will result, and those tied may choose between Match Play mode or Stroke Simultaneous mode.***

Last Updated: 6/19 @ 4:06pm EDT

22. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

Spotted XYZVLD22 , as he had to go to work and nobody had signed up for his flight... he will certainly be the man to beat this week.

He shot a very impressive score around Pebble Beach. A front 9 of dreams, followed by a solid back nine.

Round 1

Xyzvld22 - 62 (-10)

23. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

never practiced this weekend...i am apologizing in advance to Basis and MoonBBad as I will be playing with them tonite and I expect it will get ugly at times

24. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I didn't either, but having played Pebble every year in the game for like 10 years I don't think it will be THAT big of a deal. We'll see.

25. Jon Carroll

Jon Carroll Walk On

Round 1

Cazz112 - 60 (-12)
    Dub-Ya - 63 (-9)

Great rounds for both of us. One outrageous pin placement for "easy" on 14. Gave me a double bogey 7 and @Dub-ya a quadruple bogey 9. It was on the slope on 14, right half of the green. Anything but dropping the putt (including putting uphill) brought you right back down to the edge of the green 20 feet from the hole. So i could of been -14 or better if that pin was not ridiculous and Dub's was on a roll too.

Anyways, rant a-side.... great play @Dub-ya who birdied the first 7 holes ! Great golf. Hole 14 was a real momentum killer.

JC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.