USC (half of a) season review.

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by WreckEm27, May 3, 2012.

1. WreckEm27

WreckEm27 Classless Clown

Jan 17, 2012

The Trojans end the year 11-2.

QB: John Bennett (92 ovr) ended up being pretty good for me and the NCAAs #4 passer. The first few games (Utah, Northwestern, Colorado) were shaky and inconsistent. The later part was much more how I liked, and his stats were much better. He finished as a 61% passer, which is pretty good on this game IMO. Herb Smith (Soph, 82 ovr) played very little but will probably be the starter next year. Grade: B

HB/FB: Wow. I leaned heavily on the run game early on and was lucky to have such an explosive back in Justin Peoples who finished as the #8 rusher in the country. Really no problems running the ball with the combo of having such a good back and a pretty good OL FB Damien Coley was a solid run blocker, and I was a bit disappointed I couldn't find a place for him in the scheme. Grade: A+

WR/TE: Odd group. Not a really fast group, and not the greatest hands either. I found most of the trouble in the passing game stemmed from this sect of the offense. Separation at times seemed to be a problem as the slowpokes couldn't get away from the quick corner. TE Johnny Washington was the brightest spot and WR Chad White could be a star in the future. Grade: C+

OL: Okay pass blocking group. This unit excelled at the running game though. I use the BYU playbook so it is nice having 4-5 I sets to help if the passing game is off. Could have used better protection in the pass game though. Having Anthony Scott (93 ovr) out when I got there didn't help anything. Grade: B

Overall offensive grade: B+ish

DL: Montgomery and Stephens were great ends and are glad they're back next year. They combined for over 20 sacks and were a force to be reckoned with. NG Bryan Green threw in another 9.5 sacks, so all in all, nearly 30 sacks just from the DL. I could live with that every year. Grade: A

LB: A fast, athletic group that tackles well. They didn't rush the passer particularly well at times, but I felt they were solid against the run, and I wasn't scared to have them play in zone or cover WRs. MLB Daniel Rose was the standout of the group, leading the team with 74 tackles. Grade: B+

DB: Chris Rodgers led the team in INTs with 5, he also had 2 sacks, a forced fumble, a defensive touchdown, and 10 broken up passes. This group altogether wasn't exactly amazing statswise, but the top two corners and the SS graduate and they all contributed pretty well and were good OVR wise. Grade: A-

Overall defensive grade: A-

Needs for USC: WR WR WR WR WR WR, OL, CB, QB to groom for the future.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Feb 10, 2009
    nice write up.....