USC Postseason Ban

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by bravejaf, Jun 10, 2010.

1. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

USC Postseason Ban

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5267933

I hate USC with a passion so I'm glad those cheaters are getting some strict penalties. I also hope Seantrel Henderson enjoys his time in LA while the Trojans spend the next 2 seasons watching the bowl games from home. Oh and this couldn't have happened to a better coach.

2. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Amen to that brother.

3. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

You had to know this was coming when Pete Carroll left to take the Seahawks job. He didn't go to Seattle because it was a great opportunity, he left USC because he knew the NCAA hammer was about to drop.

That's the worst thing about NCAA violations, usually the people who get punished are coaches and kids who weren't even involved in the 'wrongdoing'.

4. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

I agree to that to a certain extent. They could take away the wins and trophies to the players involved but honestly does that hurt the program which is responsible for the wrongdoing? The answer is no. The school broke the rules therefore the school should be punished which means loss of funds (bowl games) and loss of players (cut scholarships). USC is about to go through what Bama had to years ago and that isn't good at all considering the expansion. USC might be down for a while.

5. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

It also doesn't help the program that they hired a coach who has a career winning percentage of well below .500 as a head coach (NFL and NCAA combined). That coach also had numerous minor violations at his last gig and I imagine he will be even more closely monitored in upcoming seasons based on the school and his track record.

6. Papa Perry

He's a filler. Teams do this all the time to get by. Bama hired Shula. Ole Miss hired Orgeron. Miss State hired Croom. EVERYONE knew what USC was into. But luckily for USC there was one idiot out there that would take the job.

7. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Exactly!

He also has another built in excuse for his incompetence.

Let's not think for one second that USC is the only team crossing the line. Where will the west coast guys go if they are afraid of the spotlight on USC? Is the real question.

8. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

UCLA!!! You have no idea how much I despise USC and everything about that school. They had this coming for a long time. I wish they would have got SMU'd but this will do. Hopefully, Neuheisel can take full advantage of this while staying within the NCAA rules of course.

9. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I thnk it's pretty funny that the guy who was there and recruited a lot of the players that are associated with violations is back on campus as the head coach and will be penalized. If they went outside of the "family" I wonder if the penalties would have been different? Kiffin's past time at USC and his violations at Tennnessee may have played a part also.

10. tuco418

tuco418 Older and wiser than you

I think Recchem is right, UCLA is going to benefit from this the most. USC will slide back into the mediocre days of 80's and 90's and open the door for the Bruins to become "the" program in LA again. This is going to be hard for Southern Cal to recover from, it make take 10 years. Losing five scholarships a year is a killer and will effectively kill the incredible depth they've enjoyed during their run of prominence.

Kudos to the NCAA on this. I really thought they would get a slap on the wrist but this is a giant whack on the ass. This is not the first, second or third time that USC has cheated so this was an appropriate response.

11. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

As a USC fan, I guess you'll have to take everything I say with a grain of salt. This definitely WILL hurt the program. They'll still get money from bowl games, as conferences share revenue earned through that (team in the bowl obviously gets the bigger share). My issue is that they're punishing student athletes who weren't even AT THE SCHOOL when this happened (I'd say the same for any other school, even if it's someone like Notre Dame or UCLA, lol). Who does this really punish? It punishes fans (team isn't as good as before, so fair-weather fans will easily find the way out, and fans who are die-hard are mad they can't win like they used to). It punishes kids at the school who had nothing to do with the situation. It punishes the Pac-10 (or soon to be Pac-16 or whatever), as one of their big "brands" is taking a big hit. It punishes student-athletes who will be out of a scholarship to a D-1 program (not talking about the ones USC loses, as they'd go to another school, creating a domino effect of people moving, and then the number of scholly's lost=number of student-athletes that would have received a D-1 football scholarship that now can't).

If anything, the people who should be punished are the AD (if it's football or men's basketball, the AD should know what the hell is going on), the head coach, the recruiting director, the kid who takes the cash, and anyone who knew anything about it. Tough to do that when you take 5 years to look into something and guys jump ship (I'm looking at you, Pete Carroll), or guys move on to the NFL.

Who is really going to care that the wins are vacated or that the Heisman has to go back (if/when that happens)? Only the record books. Vince Young (Heisman runner-up to Bush) has already said not to call him about giving him the Heisman if they strip it from Bush. What then? A vacant Heisman year? Hell, everyone already knows it was given to Bush. What difference would it make to strip it from him? On a related note to that, how do they "strip" it from him? Is the trophy just on loan to him/the school and needs to be returned if the athletic club requests it back?

I also take issue with when this punishment goes into effect. If they've got all this documentation about wrong-doings in the USC football and basketball programs, put the punishment into play when the offenders are ACTUALLY THERE.

I wonder if USC can go after Bush/Carroll/anyone else involved and sue for lost earnings...

/rant

12. Masler

Masler Moderator

This probably won't affect USC much after they got all those signings...maybe in the second year, but not the first year. Not with Barkley being a Sophomore and that killer HB they just got.

13. tuco418

tuco418 Older and wiser than you

Holy crap, 30 scholarships

Welcome to mediocrity SoCal

14. Dru50

The NCAA sent a definite message with the USC sanctions. 10 scholly's a year for 3 years is huge.

The other big time programs better take this as a wake-up call and make sure their houses are in order.

15. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

They could lose even more if NCAA decides to let recent commits transfer without the usual one-year waiting period. That was mentioned in an article I read on Rivals.com.

16. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

I heard one of the guys on College Football Live on ESPN mention that it's likely that they are going to impose the normal wait a year rules for recent commits and juniors/seniors on the team.

Imagine the likelihood of a mass exodus from USC if they gave everyone the ability to go to a different school without missing a season.

17. Dru50

If that happens, a bad situation turns into the Titanic for USC.

And I'm not just referring to the fact that I won't coach the team in C2C in 2011.;)

18. Papa Perry

Well idk. Kiffin's wife could keep me laying on a bed of broken glass. Life at USC might not be so bad after all

19. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Now NCAA will you go investigate the cesspool down in Gainesville, Florida!

20. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

I'm not a USC fan at all, however I think it is exactly what you said...The NCAA is sending a message. People have been talking about them not being hard on big programs as of recently and now they made an example out of USC.

However I think they went way over the line. You don't punish a program excessively just to prove a point when there are this many innocent people involved with the program. From analysis and everything I've heard/read today they not not find specific violations that USC made... Just lack of internal controls which could easily lead to NCAA violations. For that offense I agree they should have been punished, but not this much. The way they were penalized I would have thought someone on the staff was directly giving money to players, or were directly involved in major violations.... but that is not the case. Your pretty much giving the team a death blow for lack of preventive controls, even though there as no solid evidence something came from these lack of controls....

Just my two cents.... I could care less about USC, but fair is fair and I think they are getting the raw deal. I dislike Notre Dame football more than any other in CFB, and I would say the same for them. You don't want to see students, the school, athletes, and fans decimated like this.

21. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Exactly!! That's the next one that should be dealt with...good call.(y)

22. astealthyhippo

astealthyhippo happy painting and god bless

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5275644

It's a pretty long article, but this is very interesting. I wonder if many will leave b/c they want a shot at a bowl game.

23. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

I love all the hate for USC from all the other big time programs that also cheat.

If I was all of those program I would start getting the broom and windex out now to try and clean up the mess left behind. USC didnt because they have a huge ego and believed they were above the law...and it all starts with the idiot AD they have..

USC is only the tip of the cheating ice burg.

24. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

GLASS HOUSE MEET STONE

25. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I've read this thread topic in a couple of forums over the past day or so and it amazes me that 95% of college football fans think their team is "legit". I know plenty of guys who played D-1 ball (for top BCS Schools) and they told me things I would rather not wanted to hear. I won't elaborate but I'll just say all "top" schools do what USC has been guilty of. And stating the coaches don't know is a silly assumption but....

Anyway, just my 2 cents and I wasn't talking/replying to anyone's post specifically I was just posting my opinion