user catching

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by THEiv, Jul 20, 2010.

1. THEiv

THEiv Walk On

user catching

Got nothing in the other thread in way of response, so I figured id give it its own thread. Can we talk about allowing user grabs finally? I really just want to hear a good, sound, argument on why it should STILL be against the rules, because I've never heard one. I mean, this isn't NCAA '09 anymore with rocket catching or whatever.

2. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

Well, we need to play some to see if it's automatic like it was in the past. That was my biggest gripe. You could have a CB playing WR and if you user caught, he never dropped a pass no matter how poor his catch ratings.

We need to work on it. I'll add more later.

3. drowsike

drowsike Go DAWGS

I agree with the IV. Because this year it more like a toss up with the db/wr both going for the ball..IMO I feel if you can't user catch when the ball is up..people like the IV , frank, and the program are gonna pick every pass off if the ball is thrown bad

4. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

Let's test it out but I think the D doesn't quite have near the advantage it did in the past because locomation makes it hard to cover as much territory as those guys were accustomed to in the past. It's almost more risk than reward to cover someone manually. I know they'll get better with time though.

The main thing to see is if there are any drops with the WR while user-catching. If it's an automatic catch, it will be banned but with the same exceptions as last year.

5. fordtuff504

fordtuff504 Walk On

this as well as MANY of the gameplay rules will b scrutinized this year because things like gameplay arent overdone and overpowering, things arent even noticable at all imo, this guy was using run commit on me the other day and when he guess'd wrong he gave up a TD each time, i think that maybe just maybe they finally balanced the risk reward factor this year, just give it time thive, just give it time lol

6. fsupenguin

fsupenguin Walk On

I'm playing on ODs over in the NDL with FSU, FIU, and a created team right now and I can tell you that user catching is no sure thing in this game. I see no reason at all for it to be not allowed in NCAA 11.

7. drowsike

drowsike Go DAWGS

I have been trying it out and I seeeing dropped passes also

8. THEiv

THEiv Walk On

I dont know if it was ever automatic honestly... Ive dropped passes before when DBs blasted me after the catch, and Ive also never been one to put a DB at WR(with the exception of 04 or 05 with Chris Gamble and the Buckeyes, but that was a legit move)

The gripe I always heard was the rocket catch which plagued Madden and NCAA for some time. In 09, the worst was when people would lob Bombs, and take control over the receiver, and there was some glitch where the WR would get automatic speed burst seperation from the Corner, even if you were controlling the Corner or not. That glitch has long since been fixed though. Ironically, most of the balls I like to user catch are slants, quick outs, deep comeback routes, etc., routes where Im putting some zip on the ball. Reason for this is the Wide Receiver CPU always seems to take a lethargic, moronic angle to the ball, and allows the Corner to get position. Two years ago it was literally impossible to throw against Plex, when he was allowed to user Int, but the opposition wasnt allowed to User Catch.

The point is, most, if not all, of these flaws have been fixed in last years game and this years version, from what Ive noticed from the limited play Ive had with this one. It is especially necessary to allow it this year, given how good the AI coverage is... and I'm not saying its a bad thing that the AI coverage is so good either, actually I feel the opposite. Coupled with User controlled DBs,... the passing game becomes hamstrung big-time.

My last, and most important reason for allowing it, is I think User-catching is fun! Isn't this supposed to be about having fun? I mess up a lot of the time too... switch to the WR and hilariously run him away from the ball on accident because it all happens so fast... But its still all fun!

9. fsupenguin

fsupenguin Walk On

In last years game you really would catch nearly all passes you tried to user, but the only time I have really found it helpful in this years game is like going to the corner of the endzone.

10. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

Corner routes were permitted in the last OD because the WR wouldn't be aggressive.

I'm fine with using it as long as it doesn't look like it did in the past. It seems there is more risk involved now to user catch.

As far as putting a CB at WR ala Gamble, I'm fine with that but the CB will need to resemble a WR with some skills. Just because a guy was an ATH when he was signed, doesn't mean he's a WR.

What's stupid about EA's ratings, or should I say something else stupid, is when you move a FS or DB to WR in the depth chart, the player loses a ton of his catch ratings. Why???? Either you have good catch skills or you don't. DB's should have catch ratings in the 40's if they don't want them to be decent receivers. Same with DE to DT or vice versa. They lose strength in the depthchart. Why?

BTW, I cheated today, twice. I got pissed and quit my first game, even though I super-simmed most of it goofing around, barely beat Northern Illinois. Then I tried to call a prospect and quit the game before I exit'd the the call. It charged me the minutes so it looks like it charges you the minutes on the front end of the call. No more cheaters allowed. This was a cool move.

11. fordtuff504

fordtuff504 Walk On

dont feel bad jd, i just finished my game vs UNC, it was my first time playing on heisman... wow, heisman... WTF happened? lol, i was up 10-0 going into the 2nd qtr but i got pissed at all of the dropped passes (12) and the ai's shutdown coverage skills and awsome pass rush that i just said fugg it and simmed that crap, patrick peterson looked like a pop warner ball player at best, he wasnt even trying, dude was constantly getting roasted i was like wtf man, c'omon bruh lol, at whats up when the ai is running in the open field and the rb is doing the leaning motion that im not allowed to tackle him, like i litterally cant, i press square and use the hitstick but nothing happens, i guess imma have to get use to this new crap...its gonna be a long year, i predict i'll have 2 sacks on the ai at the end of the season, lets advance...

12. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

My fault on the sliders. I told itsnotagame to set them to what they were on last OD. There is a huge difference in gameplay so he can bump them up some.

As for slider settings, I think WR catch is either 25 or 30. I've been using 45 and there haven't been too many drops.

I think pretty much anything that we've dropped down low in the past, shouldn't be any lower than 40, for now, until something proves too easy. The only exception is INT's, and lets set them at 0 for now.

In this year's case, cpu may need lowered instead of increased. I know their pass rush need be no greater than 45-50.

On Heisman, HUM blocking may need to be left at 50. I had both cpu and hum pass rush at 55 but CPU is too high.

13. THEiv

THEiv Walk On

Gamble actually was a starter at WR by default in that game. I'm real life, he probably played 80 percent of the snaps. It kind of sucked in a way actually, because he got tired so quickly. Anyway, there is nothing cheap about User catching, and ill take that opinion to the grave.

As for the sliders, I played my game, and got man handled by Northwestern. In fairness though, I am Vandy, and admittingly, I suck against the computer for whatever reason. Probably because its boring to me... I don't know why really... all I know is I've lost to the computer a lot more than u guys have. But last night I was playing NU and I felt like Garry Kasparov agaiinst Deep Blue. It thinks. Maybe we can have a easier set of sliders for me when I play the comp haha

14. THEiv

THEiv Walk On

I actually finished +2 in to diff that game too. Scary to think what it would of been had I been on the short end of that stat. I also can't complete an out or in route without user catching. The wide receiver does not go for the ball. If there isn't user catching... I stand no chance with my dog shit team, unless I win 10 to 3 punt fests.

15. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Hey Tony,

Let's play a little game, called "name that Eagle"...

[​IMG]

Don't tell me your not scared... I think I'm back boys... Madden 2006 style... You're all in trouble...

16. jdrhammer

jdrhammer S E C Speed

The thing about playing the cpu this year, is kind of boring as you say, but you have to grind it out and pick your spots. You can't just decide you want to test your QB out and pass. If you force something, you're in trouble. I like it, but sliders are too tough. You have to really stay disciplined to beat the cpu. I don't like wins where you don't have to plan how to win as opposed to just overpowering the cpu.

17. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

I completely understand. I prefer the scheming part of the game personally. And Fran, make sure you let everyone know about me in Madden 2005 (I think that was the year)...

18. THEiv

THEiv Walk On

It was actually Madden 03 to into early 05, but then you got a life and kind of laxed on the video games for a while, which allowed everyone to catch up and pass you by, including me. Kind of funny, because I sucked so bad and needed you to teach me to me the finer points haha. But yeah,... Smooth was retarded. His defense was unbelievable back in those days, and it was without the nano blitzes that a lot of ppl used. Hed routinely win games by blanking the other team, and the team he used, was the Eagles.

Anyway, CBs name... Al Harris? That secondary was absolutely insane if you look back on Al Harris being the nickel and Lito being the dime back, to go with Vincent, Taylor, Dawkins, and whoever the heck the SS was.

P.S. Id like to think that Madden 05 to 07ish range, my era of dominance, was more impressive than your reign. I was a well-oiled machine, Routinely in the top 100 rankings each year, until each November until I got bored with it and played SOCOM 50 hours a week at the tate house haha