User game pet peeves.

Discussion in 'The Dirty Dozen' started by DirtycashDylan, Oct 13, 2011.

1. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

This is a thread I've been meaning to make for awhile and Nik and I were talking about in our game. What is cheese to you? You can name specific plays or just mentalities, but give reasons. I think it'd help the league to make sure we're on the same wave length.

We all realize that sprinting back with the QB or putting a SS at DE are cheese. Let's talk about the plays that are borderline.

2. DirtycashDylan

I think Blonde will say 4 Verts is cheese. While I agree 4 Verts out of a Trips formation is cheese, I think out of a spread, balanced look, it's sim football. It's a 'vertical' concept meant to stretch the D and find holes in the zone. Man with a deep safety shuts it down so it doesn't work 100% of the time. Now, the 4 Verts out of trips I consider cheese because of the skinny post route ran by the inside slot that everyone throws to. I'll only call this in a Hail Mary type of situation.

When we come to an agreement on certain plays or ideas being cheese, I'll add it to a list and sticky it.

3. DirtycashDylan

Something I think isn't necessarily cheese but is gay is calling a set up play without setting it up ie an IForm draw before running out of IForm or a PA pass without setting up the run or calling a counter without running the original play a few times.

4. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

Cheese IMO is anything thats exploiting the game. First though everything that is borderline cheese in H4Y should at least be sim. I can't recall any cheese from any of the games I've played personally this year though so far so Idk where I'm going with this

5. DirtycashDylan

Yeah, I think we throw the term 'cheese' around pretty loosely.

6. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

Yea I joked around and threw the word cheese around last year with everyone else on 4 verts a lot. 2x2 4 verts is not cheese though (It's actually a staple for many teams, ala New Orleans, Run and Shoot Teams, etc.). It is a play to run against some of the zone hungry guys and in certain situations. And like Dylan said it is terrible against man.

I don't think anyone in this group is cheese at all. We all joke but this is a clean group (I feel at least).

7. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

Oh yeah, fuck Seattle.

8. nikpin

nikpin Universitas Brunensis

The more I think about it calling TO after the kicker has been iced is probably cheese.

9. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

Yea, I agree actually. And I did that in my game vs Steamer/Fever (can't remember which one) and legitimately felt bad. I don't think it took off the ice though actually.

10. nikpin

Yea I did the same thing last night and it didn't work. But yea it was one of those heat of the moment things but in hindsight no real coach would essentially ice his own kicker if it did work.

11. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

I do see what you're saying here. But its also about attacking the D when they're not ready. I get what you're saying about the I form draw, but I also see a lot of guys who play zone and audible to show blitz, while they may only have 4 or 3 rushing they have 8 or 9 in the box. Even though they're in zone a dive (or any run really) will be shut down, but the draw MAY be there. I could see running this against the coaches that love to zone/audible blitz might be a good move.

But as with anything there is some give and take.

12. Steamer43

Steamer43 Cleveland Steamer

I'm cool woth people calling timeouts with iced kickers if its about the actual kick rather than getting rid of the ice. I know you cant see the arrow and if your doubtful about the accuracy of the kick you should be able to call TO and restart.

13. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I saw this and thought that I would chime in. Here is my definition of Sim play:

Most people think that playing "sim" falls within a certain criteria of style of play, but I believe that it falls within the attitude behind the style of play. Yes there are plays and tactics that are just unfair and take away from the overall experience of the game, but it is the intention that is behind the action that determines what is "sim" and what is not.

14. DirtycashDylan

Yeah, I should probably change the thread title. I'm looking to find everyone's pet peeve plays that are fully legal. I feel like nothing I run could be considered questionable, but I realize that probably isn't true. If I hear somebody questioning something I do or a play I call, I drop it and move on to something else, and I think most would do the same.

So let's hear them.

More for me.

Compressed sets-I don't think the cpu AI can always handle it. I have Shotgun 4WR Tight in the PB and haven't used it this title.
    Running a HB Dive and cutting it outside. If it's me, I don't bounce it til I run into my linemen and nothing's there.

Like I said, not thinking of anyone in particular, just thinking of stuff that I kind of roll my eyes at when I see it.

15. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

One of my huge pet peeves is any play that someone converts a 3rd and long on ;) jk.

Na awaking from my slumber I realize a few things that do aggravate me, and the thing is I used to do some of these.

On the kickoff taking ur guy out of the lanes is more than kind of iffy If I think about it now. Counters flipped to strongside are another thing.

Anyone ran into the magic fade/jump ball that I've never seen stopped. I'm not saying it can't be stopped, I just havent seen it stopped personally.

16. DirtycashDylan

17. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Taking a d-lineman on a punt and running toward the returner before the snap so you have an extra blocker

Calling a certain route every 3rd down. I hate when guys run the same 2-3 routes they know will work on 3rd down

People who bring the safety into the box or getting him running before the ball snaps every play

Having aggressive anything on defense for extended periods of time

18. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

On the kickoff subject, my feelings at least are its exploiting (just a little) a flaw in the cpu AI blocking. I've also noticed that if you stay in your lane you generally shed a block very quickly if not instantly and only lose a step or two.

I would feel that running out of your lane was okay if the returner could exploit that and run to where you vacated, but this usually isnt the case as this breaks down blocking for the whole return.

How do you guys feel about the 1-5-5? I never use it and haven't really seen it in here, but I run into it in my other dynasty a lot.

19. Full Moon Fever

Full Moon Fever Champion of Standards

One thing that's always pissed me off though is people calling a screen play and then throwing downfield to the receiver. IRL, linemen are always downfield on screens, which is why you see quarterbacks throw the ball in the dirt if a screen is snuffed out. The game gets around that issue by having the linemen all just run to the side instead of downfield, but I still think it's unsim to call a screen and throw anywhere else.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DirtycashDylan

1-5-5 is only acceptable in passing situations. Without a doubt. Running it vs a heavy set is like running a 3-2-6 and both are way too effective shutting down the run.

OK, I never thought about the kickoff thing but that's why I started the thread. I just see it as running around a block and you see that all the time irl. Not every defender is gonna engage with their blocker. Anyway, I won't do that if you don't pull a lineman back on punt returns (I think it's you who does it, someone still does it). It's not a huge deal but still kinda gay, imo.

What else guys?

21. Full Moon Fever

Full Moon Fever Champion of Standards

I usually take a lineman and move him over the upback on punt defenses. Old habit from so many fake punt runs I guess. I'll stop doing that.

22. nikpin

Agree with this.

23. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

I've never done that just because I've never had the time in the pocket for the receiver to get downfield