User vs. User Games

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by brucebond, Aug 17, 2010.

1. brucebond

brucebond Walk On

User vs. User Games

Are there any teams not playing any user vs. user games next season? I feel like it could be advantageous for teams not playing user vs. user games.

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

It is, but my plan is to make sure everyone plays someone. I don't like to tinker with schedules too much, but we should at least start out with a plan that includes user vs. user games.

The problem with this year is that we had a bunch of early turnover. What would things be like if we still had a Michigan and a USC? What would things be like now if we knew we were going to add a WVU? Things would have been a lot different.

Going forward, we'll try to plan for these things, but based on what I've seen in the past, no amount of planning eliminates this kind of thing. We can't anticipate turnover (well, maybe now we can, at least a little) and we don't know who will join.

I'm not going to allow anyone to go a season from start to finish without encountering another user. I'm also probably going to put top finishers from the previous year up against each other the next year - if the match ups are reasonable and relatively likely to happen in real life. Repeating should be hard. We'll shoot for balance, as we do in all other areas.

Feel free to make suggestions, especially if you feel they will make things more even and fair.

3. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

I also think if possible that you sch all non-conference games for users against top teir CPU teams (when it's not a user vs user non-conference game). That will make sure we do not have a CPU vs User Championship game or BCS bowl game for that matter. And it would make the sch harder for users so we just can't breeze through the season as we will either be playing a conference game, or a user, or a top 25 team.

I.E. FSU played OU, BYU(user) and will play UF along with our conference games. That's a sch i would like all of us to have

4. JustASample

JustASample Walk On

also normally when new people come into the league they want the best teams. With what i posted they will not be able to just run over CPU teams as they will most likely be playing a user

5. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

I agree. I would have loved to play a user. I figured I would cover a Big East school just to represent the final BCS conference. I would actually not mind jumping to the SEC next season if that's possible.

6. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

I agree. I think there is enough for everyone to do at least one. I think I have scheduled the Bird Bowl against hokie for the next couple of seasons. I also would like to play BYU since he is the only one on my side of the mississippi

7. mbmonk

mbmonk Walk On

I am up for all my games being user vs user :p. I just find the game much more entertaining that way. I am not big on winning a NC as I am happy to play against sim players.

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'm not sure we'll be able to load up every schedule the way FSU's schedule looks. Sometimes our schedules are a part of our team choices. That being said, we can take care in who we schedule so we don't end up with a list of cupcakes.

Still, I don't necessarily want a user playing for/winning the BCS championship every year. That's what other leagues do. I'd like the best teams to have a shot, and second-tier teams to have a chance at a miracle year, but I don't want to simply plug two users into the final every season. Alabama should be a contender this year, whether they are run by a user or not. A bowl game vs. Bama is going to be an excruciating experience, and if we happen to beat them, that should give us the same sense of satisfaction as beating a user. If it doesn't, then we're not running the right set of sliders yet.

I'll make the schedules public, and we'll haggle about who plays who, but keep in mind that all of it can change quickly, as we have already seen.

9. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I PM'ed a Rutgers fan yesterday. Looks like our kind of guy. If it moves forward, I'll let you know.

But if you want to move, we can do that also, as long as the guys OK it.

10. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

Yup I think Vanderbilt would be just fine

11. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Vandy could be fun...rebuild an SEC doormat. :)

12. Goose

Goose Walk On

Isn't Texas and Nebraska west of the Mississippi?

13. BulldogBully

BulldogBully Whiskey Slinger

Yep, I can vouch for that!

14. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

Yes if you want to get technical (actually I forgot about Nebraska, sorry goose, nothing but love for ya)

15. mrluchini

mrluchini Walk On

How does scheduling work for season 2 and beyond? I assume that the computer will schedule your conference opponents and then we can decide on the OCC games. Is that correct? If we don't specify the OCC games, will the system generate them for us?

16. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

i actually don't want to many user v user games. slows the weeks down and just everyone beating everyone (unless we have one elite guy...and no im not scared one bit...just like sim idea and actuall enjoy rooting for everyone to do well and be in the hunt). But I absolutely think it necessary to have 1, hopefully 2 user games per season. I love the idea of hard OOC schedule but also like an easy team or 2 (just like to keep it real...2 hard 2 medium/easy my vote). I loved my Boise opener, and then playing Miami in season and maybe FSU in the ACC champ game.

17. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Certain games are locked. Conference games and some major rivalries are locked. The rest can be moved around. Now, I can't adjust a schedule for a non-user team, so if you're looking to play a certain team in a certain week, that team has to already be available that week. I can't drop games for them.

The system will generate games, but many of them will be games I can change, be it location, opponent, or bye week.