USF Shows Maturity in 38-34 Win Against Cal

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Blaza, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Maturity. It is a word used far too often in the unpredictable world of sports. When it comes to the University of South Florida, however, maturity (or lack therof) is a word with meaning. Throughout the dynasty, the Bulls have held their own, winning double digit games pretty much every season, but also losing 1 or 2 close user games every season. Never stocked with the talent of the UCLA's and Wisconsin's, USF has shown they can play with anyone, but usually end up shooting themselves in the foot one way or another.

See video of last year's epic collapse against the Badgers:

This season, after losing several Seniors, the Bulls are counting on their trademark stingy defense and a pair of converted "Athletes" in the offensive backfield. At QB this season is RS(SO) Brett Atkins; a 6'2 210 lbs ATH out of Tampa. Atkins does not have an NFL arm, but the former All-State WR has a knack for the game and is the Alpha type who leads naturally. Lining up behind him is 6'2 264 lbs bruiser, Vincent Larson. After playing sparingly as a freshman, Larson was redshirted and put on 15 pounds of muscle. He also hit the clay with the USF track squad and was able to bump his wheels up to a respectable 91 SPD.

In a game where the new USF defense was still gelling together, Atkins and Larson lead the charge against a hungry California team.

Cal won the toss and boldly chose to receive. USF forced a stop and the two would trade the customary jabs before disaster struck for the Bulls. Atkins gifted Cal an 87 yard fumble return on a play that was exactly like this one:

Warren tries to make a play out of nothing

With Coach Blaza fuming on the sidelines, the cool Brett Atkins strolled up to his Coach: "Chill Bra---I'll get it back". Unlike past Bulls teams who struggled in the face of adversity, Atkins was able to do just that. The Bulls were extremely multiple, running 32 times and passing 32. Their ball control offense kept Cal off the field and they used alot more shifts and motion than in the past.

"I just figured with motion, audibles, and flips we could give Cal some different looks. Coach Fosh is notoriously good at disguising his schemes on defense, so I wanted to make it easy on my guys by keeping our playcalling unpredictable" - Coach Blaza

USF crawled back into the game and was able to hold Cal without a score in the pivotal 3rd quarter. Finally, at the end of the 4th quarter, Coach Blaza was faced with a decision he has had to make what seems like dozens of times in this OD. Atkins lead a hellacious 2 minute drive and had the ball down 3, 2nd and goal from the 3 yard line, with no timeouts.

Coach Blaza blew a game against Wisconsin in an identical situation, but with the whole stadium watching, the brash Blaza could be seen mouthing "let ride". Knowing this would be the last play of the game, Atkins lined up in the goal-line set and handed to Larson. After being confronted by two Angry Bears, the 264 pound train kept his legs chopping and forced his way in. Bulls escape, 38-34.

Helluva game @JFosh, that was fun.

Players of the Game

Brett Atkins
    20-32 327 yards 0 TDs 0 INTS

Vincent Larson
    19 carries 124 yards 3 tds

1st Quarter
    1:43 TD Cal E Jennings returned fumble 87 yards

2nd Quarter
    6:02 TD Cale Hale 66 yd pass from J Brittain
    4:20 TD USF E Williams 4 yard run
    :58 TD USF L Smith 2 yard run
    :13 TD Cal D Young 14 yard pass from J Brittain
    :00 FG USF A Sims 41 yd FD

3rd Quarter
    3:14 USF Vincent Larson 15 yd run

4th Quarter
    7:52 FG Cal E May 41 yd FG
    5:22 FG Cal E May 50 yd FG
    2:24 TD USF Vincent Larson 11 yd run
    0:56 TD Cal 22 yd pass from Brittain
    :00 TD USF Vincent Larson 1 yd run

• Like Like x 1
  2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Another gutsy but dumb Call by Coach Carl. It is an easy decision when you know you are not going to go undefeated as he cant be Rutgers.

Nice game anyway. BTW what is all the bullshit you st the LOS??? YOU think your the Black Peyton Manning???

3. Blaza

Don't hate me simply because I resemble Peyton bra. Were you watching on Justin?

• Like Like x 2
  4. jfosh

jfosh Super

Cal continues to put itself into position to win games, but just can't close the deal.

We missed a FG in the first half, gave up a cheap FG to close the half. The Bears were unable to protect their 3 point lead with less than a minute left.

USF threw a barrage of Audibles and motion at CAL....holding the ball for 20 minutes to the Bears 11. We felt like we were on defense the whole game.

Way to close out Blaza gg!!!

Pac - 10 teams are licking their chops after Cal folds late again.

5. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

yeah i was watching...a little laggy. Rusty was calling YOU all kinds of names too.....it was funny.:confused:

6. Blaza

:(:(:(

[​IMG]

7. jfosh

jfosh Super

Nope it was Carlton!!!
    [​IMG]

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

LOL that's so much worse than the N word.

9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    no it was the n word....

he called you neighbor.