USF Takes Out Rutgers 28-24

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Blaza, May 18, 2011.

1. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

USF Takes Out Rutgers 28-24

An interesting tidal wave is forming during this 2017 Tradition 1 Season. The 3 USER Conferences (Big East, Big 10, and Pac-10) all have undefeated leaders up to this point. With #1 Purdue and #2 UCLA, both winning their Week 11 games, #3 USF knew they had to overcome the hated Rutgers Scarlet Knights to have any chance at busting into the BCS National Title.

Rutgers won the toss and elected to receive. They were galloping down the field in workman like fashion when the USF defense stepped up with a huge play. As athletic Rutgers QB K. Wilson attacked the edge on an option play, the speedy bulls defense beat him to the corner and a surprised Wilson pitched it right into the hands of a USF defender.

USF capitalized with a 12 yard TD run by big RB Victor Larson. USF kept the chains moving against the Rutgers defense, converting on 9-12 3rd downs. The Bulls jumped out to a 21-10 lead to end the 1st half and came up huge in the 3rd quarter when Rutgers QB K. Wilson forced a pass over the middle to star TE Travis Spencer that was picked off by Senior MLB John Hicks.

"We watched the film all week and we knew Travis was their guy. He broke Wisconsin's heart earlier this season and we knew he was going to make his plays. He made a few catches on me earlier, so I kind of baited the QB a 'lil bit, broke on the ball, and made a play." - USF MLB, John Hicks.

Rutgers fought back, but Wilson was strung out on an option keeper, failing to convert on their final 4th down.

1st Quarter
    2:50 TD USF Larson 12 yd run

2nd Quarter
    7:48 FG RU T West 51 yd FG
    1:57 TD USF V Larson 1 yd run
    1:03 TD RU T Spencer 14 yd pass from K Wilson
    0:07 TD USF L SMith 5 yd pass from J Atkins

3rd Quarter
    4:43 TD USF L Smith 1 yd run
    3:58 TD RU B Scot 7 yd pass from Wilson

4th Quarter
    3:18 TD RU Garner 24 yd pas from Wilson