Utah 27 Arizona State 3

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by MaxATX34, Jul 27, 2011.

1. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Utes Stifle Sun Devils: Turn Tide With Huge Play
    27-3
    [​IMG]

Salt Lake City, UT (AP) -- If you only caught the fist half of the Utah-ASU game, you might have had to do a double take just to make sure this wasnt an SEC match-up. The score going into halftime was 6-3 Utah. Both teams offenses struggled to complete drives, and the defenses were in full effect. It was a great first-half where both coaches were calling good plays on both sides of the ball.

The play of the game (and possibly the Utes entire season) would shake the game up a bit though.

It happened late in the 3rd quarter when the Utah offense was reeling, backed up, and faced with a 3rd and long from their own 4. Operating out of the shotgun had Wynn standing in the endzone facing a Sun Devil defense who had their ears pinned back, and were definitely coming for the QB. Wynn handled the off-target snap and began to read the defense. An ASU defender came free off the edge and it looked like a sure-fire safety as Utah's QB began his throwing motion, but that throwing motion was what made everything happen. When Wynn stepped up to launch a bomb down the right sideline, he came forward just enough to watch the ASU defender fly right behind him and whiff on a clothesline type tackle. The ball was fired up into the air, and the Sun Devil DB in coverage must have reacted to the crowd or sideline and thought they had the safety because WR Luke Matthews was wide open. He caught the ball near mid-field and ran it in untouched, completing the 96-yd TD pass.

From then on it was all Utah, putting together extended drives and finishing them off with two rushing TDs.

This game had major PAC12 Conference Championship implications. Both teams are in the newly formed PAC12 (South) division where wins will be tough to come by. USC, Arizona, ASU, and Utah are all major contenders in the fight to represent the division in the PAC12 CCG and this game coupled with a big win vs USC earlier this year definitely gives the Utes an edge and plenty of confidence going forward.

gg jfosh

Videos up on Dynasty Wire for now. Ill get them in here soon, but if you werent watching the broadcast be sure to check out the highlight.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

That was a crazy play, what really set it all up was Fosh throwing the interception that led to that drive. I mean... that was a huge momentum switch. Tough game for the Fosher.

3. jfosh

jfosh Super

http://www.twitch.tv/jfosh/b/291173510

That is the story for the Devils...We have to stop that another 5-0 in the turnover column in this one.

I felt like we actually moved the ball enough in this game but every drive was ended by a big turnover.

http://www.twitch.tv/jfosh/b/291173754?id=291173754&channel=jfosh

I laughed out loud when I read this. I was trying to figure out why Bolden was covering his guy. He was already celebrating the sack.

My next drive i followed it up with a drive ending interception in Ute territory.

gg Max

4. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football