Utah Beats Penn State; Wins NC in a 26-21 Instant Classic

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by MaxATX34, Feb 4, 2012.

1. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    26-21
    Salt Lake City, UT (AP) -- In one of the most thrilling National Championship games in recent history, Utah holds on to beat Penn State 26-21. These two teams were neck and neck since Utah knocked off Stanford, the two schools even go #1 and #2 in the recruiting class rankings (PSU #1 there). After a series of pre-game technical difficulties that extended through the duration of the 1st quarter, the show finally got on the road with PSU up 7-0 on their own 20 yard line to start the 2nd quarter.

Utah would score their 1st TD of the game on a 12yd TD rush. Heisman winning running back William Fox would stiff arm a Nittany Lion to the turf, bounce off a blocker, and plow his way into the endzone to tie the game up at 7.

Morvin Robbins had a terrific day, and would connect with Deangelo Vickers on a double-move where he sold the corner route enough to shake off a double team and come open over the middle on a post. That grab would set up a Utah FG with only 0:01 remaining in the half, giving them a 10-7 lead going into the locker room.

The 2nd half saw a lot more action than the first. Penn State would score twice in the 3rd to Utah's 1 TD, giving PSU a 21-17 lead. Both of PSU's second half scores came on huge plays from the same guy. TE Albert Todd caught a 76yd TD pass, and a 55yd TD pass to give his team the lead.

Coach Max and Utes would not be denied though. After an extended drive, Utah found themselves on the goal line unable to punch it in on 3rd down. The staff debated it over the headsets, and decided to kick a 22yd FG with 3:51 left in the game to pull within 1. Utah's defense had been playing well in spots all day, so the task was put up to them. They had to get the ball back.

The Utah defense, lead by Senior MLB Desmond Johnson, answered the call and forced a clutch after only a few plays on the field. It would be John Curtis, the SS from Sandy Springs, GA, that made the play of the game. The 6'3 216lb (RS)Junior was sitting back in deep coverage, and had plenty of time to jump the seam route and make the pick just beyond the 50 yard line. What made it even more spectacular was the 30+ yard return that put the Utes inside the 20.

Fox would score again, but the coaching staff really displayed poor clock management giving Penn State 2:17 to work with. A failed 2-pt attempt intensified things as a 5 point lead meant little chance of overtime.

The Nittany Lions stormed down the field, converting several tough 3rd downs and overcoming lost yardage through the air. Utah's defense really had no answer until the clock started working against PSU. The game would come down to the final play. Mike Benson took the snap, the ball was thrown into the endzone, but the Utah secondary played it very well and two Utes converged on the ball and receiver. The ball fell harmlessly to the turf as the clock hit 0:00 and the boys in Red went wild.

GG jms493 It was very close the whole game. Its really a shame we had the two disconnects/freezes, but the intense ending was fun nonetheless.

Mr. Heisman/All-American/Maxwell/Walter Camp/Walker going beast mode and rag-dolling a Defensive Tackle on his way to a TD. Finishes with 25ATT 110yd 2TD.

Aforementioned clutch INT/Return that set up game-winning TD.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Good on you guys getting this in despite the freezes. That's how we do!

Max, congratulations on your first T1 title. Let's see if you can win your first one next year!

3. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

I count it as my 2nd. I made it to the NC once before, but lost to VT in a sim. Utah claims that NC as well ;)

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Hopefully you'll win title #1 next year bro! :cool:

5. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    congrats max! u went through the gauntlet and came out on top...good job and congrats on the title...now everyone coming for you!

7. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Thanks, and I know I have the bullseye on my back now. Next year will be even more difficult I am sure.

8. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Congrats Max....you played great on both sides of the ball.....forced me into bad passes and played it safe with the passing game. It would have been a steal if i came up with a TD at the end. You dominated me the whole game. Nice season.....very hard to win here in Tradition. I fucking know all about it.

• Like Like x 1